Canon 50D or 7D

crodier66crodier66 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited May 25, 2010 in Cameras
I am looking to upgrade from the Canon Rebel to either the Canon 50D or 7D. I mostly shoot outdoor soccer but like to shoot night games as well. Is there much difference between the Canon 50D and the 7D? Is the 7D worth the extra money? I probably wouldn't use the HD video that the 7D offers.

Thanks,

CRod :dunno

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    crodier66 wrote: »
    I am looking to upgrade from the Canon Rebel to either the Canon 50D or 7D. I mostly shoot outdoor soccer but like to shoot night games as well. Is there much difference between the Canon 50D and the 7D? Is the 7D worth the extra money? I probably wouldn't use the HD video that the 7D offers.

Thanks,

CRod ne_nau.gif

Absolutely. I went from the 50D to the 7D. If you can manage the cost, DO ITdeal.gif
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    If you aren't going to use the 7D's video, then I'd suggest buying the 50D and putting the money you save toward new lenses, flashes, or other accessories. The 7D's other advantages over the 50D are mostly incremental and not really worth the higher price in my view. It's higher resolution, but not much higher; high ISO noise may be slightly better, but not much better; etc.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited May 25, 2010
    I would think the 7D's faster frame rate and more sophisticated auto-focus would be worth it for sports photography.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    I would think the 7D's faster frame rate and more sophisticated auto-focus would be worth it for sports photography.

I agree...metering is better too. Not to mention the ability to crop afforded by 18mp. Well worth the doe.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    I'm going to disagree with Craig on this occasion - I have found the improvements far greater than incremental. I've had a 7d for 3 weeks now, having been using a 50d prior to that. Short answer: 7d FTW!!! I'm really enjoying using this camera and have found a significant improvement in my keeper rate when using it.

Btw, Adorama has refurbs for $1399 including shipping, which narrows the cost gap between them a bit.

Several recent threads worth having a look at:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=156772 (good general thread)
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=167810 (I posted several examples in post #20)
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=168130 (more examples of real life usage)
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Yeah, I've been reading a lot of 50D vs. 7D threads lately and it amazes me when people say there's not a big difference between the two. Sorry but there is a HUGE difference between the two. I have a 50D and my friend has a 7D and I've played with it a bit. Trust me, they are TOTALLY different cameras and the 7D is MUCH better in pretty much every way.

If you're shooting sports the 7D's AF alone is worth the price of admission.

As much as I'd love to think my 50D is on the same level as a 7D it just plain isn't.
  • canonthencanonthen Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    I also went from a 50D to 7D. It's not just a moderate difference, it's a lot more than that. If you think it's subtle then you just haven't spent the time to learn the 7D.

If you can afford to buy the 7D then get it. It's definately worth it. I didn't really buy it for video. As a matter of fact I have yet to really make use of the video feature.
    Abraham
    My website
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    I had a Rebel XT and when the 50D came out it was not convincing enough to get me to upgrade.
    The 7D was.