I failed - I SWORE the sensor was clean....

catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited May 25, 2010 in Finishing School
:cry

I shot an art gallery last weekend and .... voila! sensor spots galore. GALORE. probably a half dozen very distinguishable ones and several others you can only see at larger sizes.

I *thought* once upon a time I heard of a way to fix a 'batch' of photos with a mask on these ... I tried searching the forms, but the terms are too general. Am I dreaming? Or is there ANOTHER way to batch fix these? I've got LR2.6 and CS4. (haven't made the CS5 leap yet but if you tell me it fixes it, I'm heading to the store....)

My f stop was usually at 5, since that seemed to work best with the bounce flash I was using and the weird white balance and other such going on. The gallery walls are WHITE, so the spots are ... embarrassingly noticeable. It was a pro bono/favor shoot, so economics aren't involved here, but my reputation is. I want to deliver these in the next day or so, but withOUT the spots. Which I'll sit down for 10 hours and remove by hand if needed, but ... yeah.

help? :bow
//Leah

Comments

• PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Well, with LR you can "synchronize" any of the changes you make - so if you use the spot remover tool then sync only the spot changes it MIGHT work... I think you'd have to do only the portrait-oriented ones, then the landscape-oriented ones (spot removal tool is location-dependant).

Can't hurt to try!
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Well, with LR you can "synchronize" any of the changes you make - so if you use the spot remover tool then sync only the spot changes it MIGHT work... I think you'd have to do only the portrait-oriented ones, then the landscape-oriented ones (spot removal tool is location-dependant).

Can't hurt to try!

hmm. good point. I'll give it a spin :) thanks!
    //Leah
    edited May 25, 2010
    nice! that DOES work, which takes care of about 80% of the spots -- each image being different, I'll still have to do some manual changes. thanks!
    //Leah
  • malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    catspaw wrote: »
    I *thought* once upon a time I heard of a way to fix a 'batch' of photos with a mask on these ...

Looks like you are a Nikon shooter.

Capture NX provides a feature for dust subtraction using a reference shot. Look under "Camera and Lens Corrections".

I have never used it myself so I don't know how well it works but I think that's what you had in mind.
    edited May 25, 2010
    malch wrote: »
    Looks like you are a Nikon shooter.

Capture NX provides a feature for dust subtraction using a reference shot. Look under "Camera and Lens Corrections".

I have never used it myself so I don't know how well it works but I think that's what you had in mind.

a HA! yes that is what I was thinking about. Never used or even installed Capture NX. Fortunately it was only about 80 photos that I had to hand edit, but good to know for the future.

Now, to clean that sensor RIGHT. grrr.

ps. THANK YOU! bowdown.gif
    //Leah