California Wildflowers

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited May 27, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I've been to Cali often, but never in May and WOAH, was I ever stunned and awed by the beauty and profusion of the wildflowers on display. These photos are from Pinnacles National Monument on a rare overcast day (it actually rained on us a bit which was way better than roasting which is normal this time of year). We were on the west side of the park, the Soledad side and had the place to ourselves for several hours. It's tough to hike and take serious macro photos without making one's hiking companion really irritated, so I kept it quick and they're not the best, but what the hell, they're beautiful subjects.

1. Wooly Indian Paintbrush (grew mostly above the treeline in the rocky scree)
877407717_n4is7-L.jpg

2. Crinkled Onion - grew sort of everywhere lower down, but I liked this bg best -
877407662_6NtGB-L.jpg

3. Pretty Faces - grew sort of everywhere, but mostly about 500-1000'.
876250962_JrEwe-L.jpg

4. Mystery flower - seriously, I have no ID for this yet. If anyone knows, feel free to reply.
876239263_L9sM4-L.jpg

5. Sticky Monkeyflower. Really. That's what it's called. I call it Stinky Monkey-butt because it's funnier. This stuff grows all over.
878518599_9bG4V-L.jpg

6. Golden yarrow - seemed to be most abundant in the higher elevations.
878518661_cygus-L.jpg

All handheld w/the Olympus E-30 and the Zuiko Digital 12-60mm lens. A heavy rig for hiking, but damn if it isn't versatile.

Thanks for checking it out. Comments welcome.

Comments

• invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Nice set of flowers here. I like the subject, colour and -- especially -- the framing in #2 the best.
    I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Yeah, I'm going to agree. #2 has everything going for it.

Next time someone says "But you can't get good depth of field with four thirds!", show them #2. :D
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Nice round of pictures. Love the vivid color, sharp and the DOF.
    Michael
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    thanks guys. It's hard to take bad pictures of such gorgeous flowers. I'm glad you all like #2 as I think the colors are pretty unusual.

Yeah, run kmc I've heard that BS about 4/3rds, but have yet to figure out what they mean. I have plenty of narrow focus/bokeh stuff with both the zooms and my legacy glass.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    These are all very nice but I especially like #2 for it's colors and composition. thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    thanks Jack. Number 2 appears to be the winner!
  • snowman1snowman1 Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Nice work, Iam for number 2 also

http://dougsphotos.smugmug.com/