Best resorces for learning

Dave CDave C Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited June 1, 2010 in Cameras
I am just now looking into obtaining a DSLR .
I am very ignorant in such matters and I am reading what I can before I actually pull the trigger on a camera.I am learning there are actually only a few that make the sensors for the vast majority of the cameras?( Kodak is in the Leicas? ) I know that the sensor does not see the light as a piece of film so film lenses are not always going to work well with Digital cameras? I also realize that just as in film that no one digital camera will cover all the photos in the world.( That I just figured out as I thought different ) I would love some suggestions of material to read on the subject.I have been and still am looking at different websites to see what different types of photographers have to say on the matter.
My intentions are not even completely clear to me as of yet at this moment I just have an itch to pick up a camera once again and it is a different world by far and I sold all of my film cameras a long time ago which I do regret , but that is who I am all or nothing.( I drive my wife crazy )
I did buy a copy of CS3 to learn a little about the digital darkroom side of the equation.I as well have been scanning some of my older work and playing with it to start to learn.
I did not know where to post this so here in the camera section it ended up.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 25, 2010
    While it's true that there are only a few imager chip manufacturers, that does not mean that the same chips are used in all cameras. Likewise the image processor coupled with the image sensor can impact the results. I suggest that the image sensor manufacturer is probably not all that pertinent to camera selection.

It is my profound belief that good photography starts with an understanding of the subject and its surroundings/background/foreground, the scene composition, the scene lighting, and the subject and scene exposure.

Lighting is an extremely important component of any photograph and both an understanding of lighting and an appropriate use of lighting can impact a photograph more than either lens or camera body.

After light, the lens is what forms the image, and the appropriate choice in lens as well as lens settings will impact an image more than the camera.

Finally, the camera itself, how it's used and under what conditions will impact the results, to be sure. A good photographer will probably make good use of almost any modern camera, and find it less limiting than either lighting or lens.

In order to make a sensible camera recommendation, or a camera system recommendation, we need to know how you will use the camera. Please list likely uses and categories of photography for your needs.

Understand that specialized needs such as sports/action, extreme low-light or video acquisition, will have a dramatic impact on the recommendations. Family event photography, on the other hand, can likely be accomplished by almost any current dSLR and a couple of lenses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Dave CDave C Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    While it's true that there are only a few imager chip manufacturers, that does not mean that the same chips are used in all cameras. Likewise the image processor coupled with the image sensor can impact the results. I suggest that the image sensor manufacturer is probably not all that pertinent to camera selection.

It is my profound belief that good photography starts with an understanding of the subject and its surroundings/background/foreground, the scene composition, the scene lighting, and the subject and scene exposure.

Lighting is an extremely important component of any photograph and both an understanding of lighting and an appropriate use of lighting can impact a photograph more than either lens or camera body.

After light, the lens is what forms the image, and the appropriate choice in lens as well as lens settings will impact an image more than the camera.

Finally, the camera itself, how it's used and under what conditions will impact the results, to be sure. A good photographer will probably make good use of almost any modern camera, and find it less limiting than either lighting or lens.

In order to make a sensible camera recommendation, or a camera system recommendation, we need to know how you will use the camera. Please list likely uses and categories of photography for your needs.

Understand that specialized needs such as sports/action, extreme low-light or video acquisition, will have a dramatic impact on the recommendations. Family event photography, on the other hand, can likely be accomplished by almost any current dSLR and a couple of lenses.
    What you say is all understood by me and when it comes to photography I as well understand your fundamentals of the craft.
    When I got hired for the very first time as a 4th assistant in this studio I got buried in the darkroom for the better part of six months learning what the photographer expected his prints to look like for any given situation.I was never allowed to touch a camera or a light until I was making the 1st assistant happy.I will never forget the experience.
    Thus I am learning the darkroom first a bit before I reach out to touch a camera.While I am learning the darkroom I am reading about the differences between the film cameras and digital.A whole bunch to take in that is for sure ,but I have the time and desire.
    So if I have to answer your question as to what my end purpose with the camera will be I have no idea,but most likely to begin with I will fall back to my roots and that was photo journalism of sorts.I have knowledge in the car racing area ( ALMS , Grand Am ) or I can get on a few sailing yachts that I know of as a few people remember me.
    This is all for my own edification and satisfaction nothing more.
    So the camera has to be able to stay dry and dust free.My eyes suck so AF would be a lot of help and with the cars It would need to be somewhat fast.Good quality glass would be mandatory.I thoroughly enjoyed my R series cameras with their Schneider or leica lenses back in the day.
    This is where I discovered that not all lenses should be on a digital camera.
    I have found a website that is full of tests and I am starting to read through those.
    I do appreciate the help very much as I really do wish to scratch my itch that I have developed in time.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    I am a bit confused..are you looking for camera reccomendations? reading/researching about photography is great and all but you really must have a camera in hand as you do for that instant hands on feed back. what is your budget by the way?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    I made the step to digital a couple of years ago and there is a lot of good reading on the internet. You might want to check out www.dpreview.com and dgrin archives are good too.

All the cameras are good and the makers move forward roughly in step. You can buy a second hand camera relatively cheaply to learn more about what is important to you. I would think carefully about which brand to commit to as the lenses are not interchangeable by and large. Also go to a store and try the feel and ease-of use - the ergonomics. Top of the range cameras tend to be very heavy, for example.

Electronics and water do not mix - so if you want waterproof kit this a big factor. Most DSLRs are not waterproof and nor are the lenses.

A lot of stuff people talk about when reviewing are not really that important - megapixels, high iso, burst speed, etc. When you look eg at Smugmug you will see great photos taken with all sorts of cameras. The basic principles have not changed; understand the light, compose, and try to get the best exposure.

Welcome to the club.
  • Dave CDave C Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    I made the step to digital a couple of years ago and there is a lot of good reading on the internet. You might want to check out www.dpreview.com and dgrin archives are good too.

All the cameras are good and the makers move forward roughly in step. You can buy a second hand camera relatively cheaply to learn more about what is important to you. I would think carefully about which brand to commit to as the lenses are not interchangeable by and large. Also go to a store and try the feel and ease-of use - the ergonomics. Top of the range cameras tend to be very heavy, for example.

Electronics and water do not mix - so if you want waterproof kit this a big factor. Most DSLRs are not waterproof and nor are the lenses.

A lot of stuff people talk about when reviewing are not really that important - megapixels, high iso, burst speed, etc. When you look eg at Smugmug you will see great photos taken with all sorts of cameras. The basic principles have not changed; understand the light, compose, and try to get the best exposure.

Welcome to the club.
    That is what I have found that the internet is a wealth of information.Luminous Landscape has been a bunch of help.As well I will continue to read the DG archives.
    Water resistant is a better use of terms as far as my expectations of the camera.
    As I read further I have decided to rent certain cameras and see how they feel and how the image appears under my given situations.Again I am doing this for myself so the images have to please only me not some fancy , smacy art director.
    I do appreciate all the help, I really do.I am so ignorant about all the terminology that I feel I am like a school kid trying to learn probabilities and statistics with a remedial math background.
    Thanks for your patience with this old fart.
    I am actually finishing up on a 3 year plus project on one of my cars next week Tuesday and Wednesday as the tuner is flying in from Europe to tune the beast.I am borrowing a friends PS camera for the ordeal.All or nothing, that is who I am.....
    I did not mean the pictures to be so large, sorry.....
  • sandravsandrav Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 1, 2010

Welcome to the club.

I use dpreview for camera specs/overview but their forum software is terrible.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    sandrav wrote: »
    I use dpreview for camera specs/overview but their forum software is terrible.
    I agree, the dpreview forums are terrible. Seems to be totally unmoderated. Anyone with a horse to ride is allowed on the course, even pluggers for and against particular brands. Thank the Lord for Ziggy and Andy and a few others with integrity and knowledge..