Options

Tonights moon

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited August 20, 2005 in Wildlife
Its just sitting there in the middle of nowhere looking at me asking for it...

Date Taken:2005-08-17 18:23:02Date Modified:2005-08-18 18:56:31Make:CanonModel: Canon EOS 20D Size: 796x742 Bytes: 172556 Aperture: f/11.0 ISO: 100 Focal Length: 400mm Exposure Time: 0.04s (1/25)Flash:Flash did not fire, compulsory flash modeExposure Program:Aperture priorityExposure Bias:-2

32568619-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Very Nice Gus. clap.gif Very sharp and detailed. I've tried to take a few shots of the moon and never had any come out this good.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    fantastic gus!!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Really nice Gus. You still using your wobbly tripod or have you got a better one?

regards
    alan
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    Really nice Gus. You still using your wobbly tripod or have you got a better one?

regards
    alan
    Ta mate
    Laid the lens across a box....moon was late tonight & thus low enough to do it.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    fantastic gus!!
    Tks Nir...still i have never been able to nail as well as my 1st one.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Very Nice Gus. clap.gif Very sharp and detailed. I've tried to take a few shots of the moon and never had any come out this good.
    Tks harry...you cant beat the 400 f/5.6 for value.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Pretty good Gus thumb.gif
    Everytime I try to shot the moon my hair and teeth start to grow, and my DW says I growl alot rolleyes1.gif
    Besides all my shots look like runny Swiss Cheese :D

Seriously though I do think you must have clearer skys as well as a better technique then I clap.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    I don't remember mine looking bad..........the color maybe, and one night there was mist. (I used a tripod, the head disappeared off of the tripod.......can't "shoot the moon" til I get another one.

But Gus, you got yourself a fine, fine moon!

It always strikes me that it is just one big blown up beach ball. That one crater looks to be where you blow it up. On my lower rt.

ginger

I am sending my 300mm to John Mueller today, and he is sending me the 400 5.6, so I will have what you have. I like to hear you say nice things about it. How is not having the IS? Or I won't have it. The 300 has IS, that is one of the advantages, but plenty of disadvantages, too. The 400 5.6 gets excellent reviews on FM and anywhere else that I read reviews.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited August 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Its just sitting there in the middle of nowhere looking at me asking for it...

Date Taken:2005-08-17 18:23:02Date Modified:2005-08-18 18:56:31Make:CanonModel: Canon EOS 20D Size: 796x742 Bytes: 172556 Aperture: f/11.0 ISO: 100 Focal Length: 400mm Exposure Time: 0.04s (1/25)Flash:Flash did not fire, compulsory flash modeExposure Program:Aperture priorityExposure Bias:-2

32568619-S.jpg

Very nice 'gus. A good demonstration that the moon is a sunlit object and is exposed that way - You shot 1 stop brighter than the Sunny 16 rule - 1/ISO f16 for a mid grey object in sunlight - one stop brighter for a brighter object than mid-grey, so your exposure was just as suggested by the rule.

You did use -2 exposure bias and shot in Av. You might try 1/125 ISO 100 at f11 and f16 and shoot in manual and see how that works also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Very nice. Great detail. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    15524779-Ti.gif with the above. Nice moon shot!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I don't remember mine looking bad..........the color maybe, and one night there was mist. (I used a tripod, the head disappeared off of the tripod.......can't "shoot the moon" til I get another one.

But Gus, you got yourself a fine, fine moon!

It always strikes me that it is just one big blown up beach ball. That one crater looks to be where you blow it up. On my lower rt.

ginger

I am sending my 300mm to John Mueller today, and he is sending me the 400 5.6, so I will have what you have. I like to hear you say nice things about it. How is not having the IS? Or I won't have it. The 300 has IS, that is one of the advantages, but plenty of disadvantages, too. The 400 5.6 gets excellent reviews on FM and anywhere else that I read reviews.
    Ginger i dont know about IS...ive never had it. To my way of thinking you should have a dead still lens at 400mm. I would'nt own a lens with it but that is my opinion & im sure im in a minority.

** Do not extend the hood with the lens cap on !..i did & my hood is permanently jammed.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Very nice 'gus. A good demonstration that the moon is a sunlit object and is exposed that way - You shot 1 stop brighter than the Sunny 16 rule - 1/ISO f16 for a mid grey object in sunlight - one stop brighter for a brighter object than mid-grey, so your exposure was just as suggested by the rule.

You did use -2 exposure bias and shot in Av. You might try 1/125 ISO 100 at f11 and f16 and shoot in manual and see how that works also.
    Thanks everyone else for looking....im going to do some more as it wanes over the next few weeks...i want it in almost full shadow.

I was thinking of you & sunny 16 as i shot it mate. I didnt use it but now i see i almost fluked it rolleyes1.gif I just shoot & worry later.
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Nice!

Is it the same in the Southern Hemisphere?
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    Zanotti wrote:
    Nice!

Is it the same in the Southern Hemisphere?
    Thanks Zanotti...we (earth) only ever see one side. I just get some diff angles to other parts of the world.
  • Options
    benbobenbo Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    WOWWWW.....Can't wait to have a camera who can take thing like that. Really great shot.
    BenBo
    Its easy to make picture, its more difficult to make good picture.
    Manfrotto 390
    Lowerpro Orion trecker II
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    benbo wrote:
    WOWWWW.....Can't wait to have a camera who can take thing like that. Really great shot.
    BenBo
    Its all in the lens...i would recon a 300D could do it.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    ....and tonights (seen one moon ..you've seen 'em all i recon)

32681239-L.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Yowza, excellent! clap.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    Ta mate...wheres yours ?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    cantaloupe (sp), honey dew, beach ball?

love that moon!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    Great shot--I have never attempted to shot the moon--but your photo gives me incentive.

I also like your first moon shot--great details and I like the shaded dark area.

Michal
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2005
    Thanks G & AF...looks like i will miss it tonight. Bit of cloud about but the crickets are out in force so summer is on the way clap.gif
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    This is the only way I've ever shot the moon, can't get too close when your longest lens is only 135mm.
    32776787-M.jpg

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2005
    There is a challenge if ever ive seen one.

Ok 135mm moon shots everyone !
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    There is a challenge if ever ive seen one.

Ok 135mm moon shots everyone !
    Isn't that your favorite lens Gus, I'm sure you've tried it already, i know I have and it's real hard to get any detail at all.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2005
    Im back....not good but hey its a short lens for this stuff.

Moon with the 135 L prime
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2005
    Took my 400 out with me & got it on its way out. You can just see some shadow on the top.

32778726-L.jpg
  • Options
    PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    Moon over Melbourne
    We'd like to try again with the 300 - our attempts last month came out very fuzzy with lots of glare and halo. That was without any filter. Which filter would take off the glare for a cleaner image? Tonight it's a bit academic as we are under clouds with a bit of rain - but would like to know so that if it clears in a day or two we can have another go.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2005
    PC just use the sunny 16 rule.. its the only real way to get the contrast good.f/16 with you shutter one higher than your ISO.

I shot ISO 100 & shutter at 1/125. This is open to a bit of experimentation (diff f/stops) & its a LOT LOT easier if you shoot in RAW as you can change the exposure.