Playing with new Photek Softlighter

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 27, 2010 in People
While I have a couple of umbrellas, I'm a big fan of softbox light. However, they're a bit cumbersome with a speedlight, and also in my small space, so I decided to give a 46" Softlighter a try in advance of some headshot shoots I have booked for next month.

Model wasn't feeling 100% cooperative, but I did get to fool around with it for a little while. I definitely prefer the light fall-off this offers over an ordinary umbrella and I'm really liking the soft-box-like results.

A touch of dusky daylight coming through the windows camera left, but not much - it was starting to get dark by the time I got to shooting, so essentially the flash was the main light source. No reflectors of any kind.

Yes, I was doing my shallow DOF portrait thing. I probably should have stopped down a wee bit more, much though I love the meltaway effect.
879273458_Cuthv-L.jpg

The light created makes for verrrryyyy nice bw conversions, I think. And while this may not be the most flattering portrait of Littl'un I've ever shot, there's something about the moody-broody look that's very "her" just at the moment, so I actually rather like it as a character study.

879273475_sEChb-L.jpg

Oh, and I have to confess i used the ste2 to trigger - I'm still trying to work out the 7d's flash commander which, while it can do more (not least of which 3x groups and also let the popup flash contribute to fill if I want it), I haven't figured out how to work with it reliably yet! I was going to sell the ste2, but I think I'll keep it for a little while longer until the 7d's flash and I are speaking the same language fluently :rofl (it's awesome to have the built-in commander, I hasten to add, I'm just not up to speed with its complexities yet and need to practice before I can make it do what I want while working at speed. All in good time.... :D )

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    I really like your B&W shot. Good feel to it.
    The first one feels off to me. Not 100% sure why.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Hmmm.. probably because it's underlit on the right side (next time I set like this I'll add a reflector and see how I like it). And I think I focused on the wrong eye for maximum effect. And the hint of windowlight means it's a funky WB (hence why the BW is probably more succesful OR why I need to do a custom WB).

Good grief - I've become a technique geek! I'm not sure if it's terrifying, depressing, or totally elating rolleyes1.gif

But finding these things out is, of course, why I'm practicing *before* using it for a "real" shoot :D
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    First off... let me just say that she looks more and more like you every time I see a photo of her.

Secondly, I love the light. I don't know a whole lot about studio, so I'll leave it at that. Very nice!

And I like the pose / light in the first one better.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    the BW shot is one the best shots you have ever shown
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited May 26, 2010
    Thanks, Heather and Qarik!

Glad you like that bw, Q - I do too. It's not "pretty" but it's very strong and really reflects who she is just at the moment (heaven help me!).

It's so funny how everybody thinks she looks like me - we think she's an almost perfect cross between hubby's mum (who had the round face and auburn-ish hair) and my dad; the humungous eyes are all her own (mine are big and dark, but not like THAT), and she still doesn't realise how lucky she is. She really knows how to work them, too!!

Heather, while these were more a "studio" look because there was no ambient, I'm just about to go play again in broad daylight and see if I can use it to fill/mimic the daylight look I like so much. I can't drag *everybody* out to the college atrium (where I did the actor shots), but those photos are the ones that generated a lot of interest so I need to come up with a suitable alternative here at home. Since I can't take down any more walls and I don't have a garage to use ... I'm trying to figure out what I can come up with!

Ok, back to the living room... we'll see how I get on!
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Didn't see this until now! I LOVE the b/w shot. It is really fabulously lit and there is so much drama there. She looks SO mature and wise in that shot. She IS growing up on you!! Really cute!!!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    That second shot is excellent. The lighting looks really good.

Where are the ears???
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Mitchell wrote: »
    That second shot is excellent. The lighting looks really good.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    This is also (for me) a much more flattering angle to shoot her out.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
    edited May 27, 2010
    Thanks, Kelly, Mitchell and Mike! I had fun yesterday trying out the Photek combined with windowlight and a reflector - it works nicely to add to/enhance existing natural light and thus will do the job I need well (no samples - me on a bad hair day with no makeup is NOT something that needs to get put on the internet for all to see! rolleyes1.gif).

I think overally I still prefer softbox square catchlights - they look more like windows - but something I realised when reviewing the shots where I combined daylight (large windows), Photek+flash and a reflector is that what I like best of all is when there are complex, multiple catchlights; by using all three modifiers strategically placed I get much more interesting "alive" eyes.

What I'm liking about the Softlighter is that it is performing equally well as a single light (as in the shots above) as when it's being used for fill; I'm looking forward to experimenting with it further in the next few days in different combos thumb.gif

Oh, btw, those shots above had the gold disk in the umbrella - I need to try it without, and with the silver one too.
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    divamum wrote: »

It's so funny how everybody thinks she looks like me - we think she's an almost perfect cross between hubby's mum (who had the round face and auburn-ish hair) and my dad; the humungous eyes are all her own (mine are big and dark, but not like THAT), and she still doesn't realise how lucky she is. She really knows how to work them, too!!

This reminds me of what I grew up with. It depended on which side of the family someone knew better which one they thought I resembled the most. Those that knew my Dad's said best saw him in me and those that knew my Mom's side best saw that side of the family in me.

Jane B.