Need Advice On Lenses For Canon 50D

rrcolwellrrcolwell Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited May 28, 2010 in Cameras
I am a newbie and am looking to upgrade my current camera (Canon Rebel XTi) and purchase some new lenses. I am buying the Canon 50D and am thinking of buying the Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Autofocus Lens. I do not want to spend over $3000 but these two items pretty much eat that up. My ultimate goal is to shoot weddings, senior pics, family portraits, etc. I have done a few of each but just playing around. Am looking to get serious. Is this more lens than I need, is it the only lens I'll ever need? There are so many out there. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Its a great lens but far from the only lens you'll ever need. Especially for weddings, you're going to need something wider. A 24-70/2.8L, or perhaps the 17-55/2.8 as well. And its a 50D, not a D50. :) You could save some bucks by getting the non-image-stabilized version of the 70-200/2.8. On the other hand you were smart to get the 2.8 version and not the 4.0 version for your needs. You could also consider a handful of fast primes instead.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • rrcolwellrrcolwell Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Its a great lens but far from the only lens you'll ever need. Especially for weddings, you're going to need something wider. A 24-70/2.8L, or perhaps the 17-55/2.8 as well. And its a 50D, not a D50. :) You could save some bucks by getting the non-image-stabilized version of the 70-200/2.8. On the other hand you were smart to get the 2.8 version and not the 4.0 version for your needs. You could also consider a handful of fast primes instead.

Thanks for the correction on the 50D, you can obviously tell that I need all of the help I can get :). I would rather have the IS one because I like the fact that I wouldn't always need a tri-pod but I hate to spend all of that $$$ without knowing if I'll like it or use it a lot. I used to know so much about all of this and the technology has passed me by (and knocked me into the ditch). Thanks!
    edited May 26, 2010
    mercphoto wrote: »

P.S. What is a fast prime?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 26, 2010
    Bill is right and for wedding work my Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM is the most used on Canon crop 1.6x bodies. I always bring the EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM (non-IS) as well, along with the EF 50mm, f1.4 USM and EF 135mm, f2L USM. The last 2 lenses, the 50mm and the 135mm, are fixed focal length "prime" lenses.

The general reasons for a couple of fast primes are multifold:
    • Many times flash is not allowed during the wedding ceremony. A faster aperture allows reasonable shutter speeds and reasonable ISOs, and potentially better AF as well.
    • A large aperture lens may also be used to reduce background distractions by allowing a more limited DOF.
    • When you can use larger apertures, you generally also reduce the need for IS by allowing the use of faster shutter speeds.

In addition to camera and lenses, I highly recommend that you budget for a couple of compact electronic flashes, a flash bracket and off-camera cord, several light modifiers for the flash units (most of these can be DIY and very inexpensive) and lots of compact flash cards and batteries for all devices.

For the flashes you need these to both produce primary illumination and for fill light. I use Sigma flashes and I find them perfectly acceptable for the task. The Sigma EF 530 DG Super flashes in Canon E-TTL II version work nicely for me. They provide most of the flash output and features of Canon's best flash, but at a price closer to the next Canon flash down. The Sigma E-TTL II flash automation is very authentic and similar to Canon's own flashes. (The "DG" and "Super" designations are important.)

A flash bracket is required to position the flash where you need it, generally above the lens. A bracket which allows the flash to be above the lens regardless of camera orientation (landscape or portrait) is highly desirable. The off-camera cord simply allows the flash to maintain electrical contact with the camera and the camera can still control the flash.

Flash light modifiers lift the light to provide a more pleasing light and shadow position, and most modifiers also diffuse the light to soften the light and provide softer shadows too.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    You don't mention what lenses you already have - are you looking to continue using those and only add a telephoto, or to upgrade the whole rig, or....? It will help people make suggestions if you list what you already have and plan to keep (or not).
    edited May 26, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    You don't mention what lenses you already have - are you looking to continue using those and only add a telephoto, or to upgrade the whole rig, or....? It will help people make suggestions if you list what you already have and plan to keep (or not).

Right now I have the lens that came with my Rebel XTi, it is a 18-55. I also have a 10 year old Canon 75-300 that I used to use with my film camera that I think is f/4-5.6 (does that sound right?), I also have a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8. The 75-300 does not do well, the pics are usually prett blurry so I rarely use it. I love the 50mm but wish that I would have spent the extra $$ for a zoom instead.
    edited May 27, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Bill is right and for wedding work my Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM is the most used on Canon crop 1.6x bodies. I always bring the EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM (non-IS) as well, along with the EF 50mm, f1.4 USM and EF 135mm, f2L USM. The last 2 lenses, the 50mm and the 135mm, are fixed focal length "prime" lenses.

The general reasons for a couple of fast primes are multifold:
    • Many times flash is not allowed during the wedding ceremony. A faster aperture allows reasonable shutter speeds and reasonable ISOs, and potentially better AF as well.
    • A large aperture lens may also be used to reduce background distractions by allowing a more limited DOF.
    • When you can use larger apertures, you generally also reduce the need for IS by allowing the use of faster shutter speeds.

In addition to camera and lenses, I highly recommend that you budget for a couple of compact electronic flashes, a flash bracket and off-camera cord, several light modifiers for the flash units (most of these can be DIY and very inexpensive) and lots of compact flash cards and batteries for all devices.

For the flashes you need these to both produce primary illumination and for fill light. I use Sigma flashes and I find them perfectly acceptable for the task. The Sigma EF 530 DG Super flashes in Canon E-TTL II version work nicely for me. They provide most of the flash output and features of Canon's best flash, but at a price closer to the next Canon flash down. The Sigma E-TTL II flash automation is very authentic and similar to Canon's own flashes. (The "DG" and "Super" designations are important.)

A flash bracket is required to position the flash where you need it, generally above the lens. A bracket which allows the flash to be above the lens regardless of camera orientation (landscape or portrait) is highly desirable. The off-camera cord simply allows the flash to maintain electrical contact with the camera and the camera can still control the flash.

Flash light modifiers lift the light to provide a more pleasing light and shadow position, and most modifiers also diffuse the light to soften the light and provide softer shadows too.
    Thanks for explaining these things to me in layman terms. I still had to google DIY though-I'm assuming it means "Do It Yourself". Thanks again.
    edited May 27, 2010
    rrcolwell wrote: »
    Thanks for explaining these things to me in layman terms. I still had to google DIY though-I'm assuming it means "Do It Yourself". Thanks again.

Yes, you can create your own light modifiers (DIY). A couple that I can recommend are:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.

A site showing various modifiers in use:

http://www.the-meissners.org/2006-small-albums/2006-flashmod/index.html
    ziggy53
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    The popular combo for Canon wedding photographers is the 17-55is and the 70-200is 2.8. Neither is cheap, although you can shave some off the cost if you're willing to buy used. Reputable used sites online include here at dgrin, fredmiranda.com and photography on the net. These are private sales and of course you should adopt a caveat emptor mentality, but many have successfully bought and sold there. Adorama, B&H and keh.com also offer used deals - I've been particularly happy with KEH and have had great success with their "BGN" rated lenses; keh also has the advantage of a return policy and short-term warrantee.

Although the autofocus isn't as fast as the Canon 17-55, the Tamron 17-50 (both the older non stabilised and the new VC - Vibration Control - version) is a terrific lens, and rather more affordable than its Canon counterpart. You might want to consider that alongisde one of the 70-200 lenses you're considering. I have the 17-50 (original) which I picked up like-new for $300 via my local Craigslist (another source of used gear) and it's earned every penny I spent on it.

As far as the 70-200 2.8is, you might want to check that lens out in person or rent it before buying - it's HUGE and very heavy. This is the reason I've stuck with primes at the longer end - I may succumb one day, but for now I'm happier with the smaller, lighter telephoto primes (I shoot theatre rather than weddings so can live without the zoom feature, even though sometimes it would be useful). The 135L f2 is pretty much unparalleled for image quality at that focal length in the Canon lineup, and the 200 2.8 is another very fine L lens. Both are significantly lighter than the zooms.

Btw, I would keep the 50mm 1.8, unless you plan to upgrade to the 50mm 1.4 - it's a VERY useful lens, especially if you encounter any low light situations. Given its low cost, it's pretty much an essential addition to any Canon shooter's bag.

HTH!
  • telefotoguytelefotoguy Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    if your shots with the 75-300 comes out blurry, you could do with getting the IS version of the 70-200.

I started out with a tamron 17-50 2.8 and after using it for about 8 months, decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the canon 17-55 version. Never looked back since. It is very very sharp. The Tamron is also sharp, but my shaky hands isn't doing me any favors. Laughing.gif.

I second divamum's suggestion to get a tamron 17-50 2.8 first for your wide end (or even get the one with VC, this is IS in tamron-speak). On the long end, take a look at the Sigma 70-200 2.8 ver2, stopped down to f4, images come out adequately sharp. At 2.8, unless you pixel-peep, the image quality is pretty good too.

If you have money left in your $3000 budget, then get a Canon 430exII. Or a cheaper option is a Nissin Di622 (I'm not sure if its available where you're from though).
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    I would be reluctant to upgrade to a 50D at the moment. It seems very squeezed between 550D and 7D - almost obsolete.

The 70-200 2.8 lens is top class. It will last you for years. Also heavy and out-of-balance imo on an xxxD. I would have in mind to use it on a 7D or 5D in the future. Any new body you buy in the current xxD range will then be an interim - so you may as well shop for a second-hand 40D now if you insist on the lens. Otherwise wait for a possible 60D sometime soon.

Given your situation I might be inclined to save some money and go for a trade-in for a 550D and 17-55 + 70-300 combo. You can enjoy some much better camera gear while you wait to afford an xD with matching lenses. When you have the cash then go for xD plus 70-200 2.8 but then you also need a decent walkaround on the wider end.
    edited May 28, 2010
    Thank you for all of the advice. You have all certainly changed my mind in the direction I am going. If I only had an unlimited budget....but I don't so I need to choose very carefully. Thanks again.
  • ShayebrydShayebryd Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    Ziggy53, what flash bracket and off-camera cord would you recommend for a 50D and 5D MKII? Thank you!
    "My favorite thing is to go where I've never been!"
    edited May 28, 2010
    Shayebryd wrote: »
    Ziggy53, what flash bracket and off-camera cord would you recommend for a 50D and 5D MKII? Thank you!

This is my typical configuration for primary illumination (with a single speedlite):

Landscape orientation:

881677521_WzUVG-XL.jpg

... and for fill:

Landscape orientation:
    584025027_Yv7GE-XL.jpg

Portrait orientation:
    584025653_QgFur-XL.jpg

The bracket is a Stroboframe Pro-T and the off-camera cord is an Adorama house brand. If I use a shorter body then I'll link 2 of these cords together.

I didn't show the portrait orientation for the primary illumination application because the setup is pretty unstable on a tripod (which I would never do. These shots are just demonstrations. I normally use the bracket freehand, of course.)

What I like about the system is the bracket allows me to "sweep" the flash and position the light over the lens or slightly to one side or the other. In fill configuration the flash re-orients automatically to match landscape or portrait rotation in tune with the camera orientation.

I like the off-camera cord because the flash-side base is extruded and machined aluminum, compared to plastic on the genuine Canon part. It is shorter than the Canon part, which works fine for a 1D style body or a shorter body with a grip, but if I use a shorter body without a grip I prefer to add a second cord to reduce strain on the cord ends.
    ziggy53