Event setup idea - Great!

JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
edited June 8, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Caveat, I don't do many events and have not tried this but:

Use Apple Ipad devices ($500 ea) as your view stations pointed to a website.

They use little power, take up little room and can be in a kiosk mode just by protecting the buttons.

Preconfigured to wifi to your HTML JAlbum or other server.

If you get someone to code an app you could even improve the experience beyond what people are used to relatively simple.
Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
~ Gear Pictures

Comments

• catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    a local photog has been using this for weddings -- he can get shots from the ceremony done (or at least a preview) for the reception. No idea how successful it is, but he loves doing it :D
    //Leah
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    IIRC didn't Smugmug just release an iPad app?

I would also assume that you could wirelessly network the iPads to your on-site "main" computer to skip the internet part - you can't always be 100% sure you'll have open WiFi (or cell service) at all locations.
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    I have been really wanting to play with one of these, but I don't think I will be using it for my viewing stations. I currently run 25 viewing stations and $13,600 (after tax) is a bit much for me right now. BUT, I would like to try one of these when I shoot tethered at one of my T&I sessions, but then again, ..... think I will just use my current setup. I keep trying to justify buying one of these, but every time I mention it, my wife tells me NO!
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    I have an iPad for work, so while it is not mine, I have been using it quite a bit for various things. What I have found is that at times the photo engine and rotation can get a little confused. Pictures that I took in a portrait mode it would want to rotate to landscape. I am not saying it is a huge issue but it has made my head hurt a few times. In terms of image quality and speed it is pretty peppy when I am using it on my own to download photos, I am a little concerned about how it would react if many of them are used in the same location. I know that we have had some issues with the three at the office being in the same place at the same time and having WiFi drop outs, but with our laptops no problems.

Where I could really see it shining is if you can put a "shopping cart" on it running on a local server, so that anyone at the event who has an iPad/iPhone/Wireless would be able to browse and buy on their own.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    IIRC didn't Smugmug just release an iPad app?

I would also assume that you could wirelessly network the iPads to your on-site "main" computer to skip the internet part - you can't always be 100% sure you'll have open WiFi (or cell service) at all locations.

The idea here is being at a location with no internet. So the smuggy app is no go. Just have a local server which most event people do now, add wifi, and finally mount the PADs in a way to protect them.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
    edited May 27, 2010
    catspaw wrote: »
    a local photog has been using this for weddings -- he can get shots from the ceremony done (or at least a preview) for the reception. No idea how successful it is, but he loves doing it :D

Wow. I'm not much of an event shooter, but I do weddings. I am looking for any justification at all to buy these for viewing stations.

How does he protect the ipads at receptions? Where does he place them?
    ~ Gear Pictures
    edited May 27, 2010
    I have been really wanting to play with one of these, but I don't think I will be using it for my viewing stations. I currently run 25 viewing stations and $13,600 (after tax) is a bit much for me right now. BUT, I would like to try one of these when I shoot tethered at one of my T&I sessions, but then again, ..... think I will just use my current setup. I keep trying to justify buying one of these, but every time I mention it, my wife tells me NO!

Setting up new viewing stations it's easy to justify the cost. Other viewing stations can cost just as much but they are bulkier and in my opinion not built as well.

Retrofitting an entire outfit of stations with these doesn't make a lot of sense unless you can figure out how much time and hassle you can save and turn that into a dollar figure.
    ~ Gear Pictures
    edited May 27, 2010
    I have an iPad for work, so while it is not mine, I have been using it quite a bit for various things. What I have found is that at times the photo engine and rotation can get a little confused. Pictures that I took in a portrait mode it would want to rotate to landscape. I am not saying it is a huge issue but it has made my head hurt a few times.

You wouldn't need to use the ipad 'photo engine'. If its rendering a webpage it will render what ever the server sends it and however the server sends it. It won't 'unrotate' images on a webpage.

In terms of image quality and speed it is pretty peppy when I am using it on my own to download photos, I am a little concerned about how it would react if many of them are used in the same location. I know that we have had some issues with the three at the office being in the same place at the same time and having WiFi drop outs, but with our laptops no problems.

I own an ipad and iphone. My wife also has the iphone. We have been using all three in the same location. Also I have been in panera where multiple people are all using ipads and other laptops. There are no issues.
    Where I could really see it shining is if you can put a "shopping cart" on it running on a local server, so that anyone at the event who has an iPad/iPhone/Wireless would be able to browse and buy on their own.

This has nothing to do with an ipad. This would be just putting a smartphone friendly page on your existing server and connecting a wifi adapter to the network. Make the SSID something about photos and have the DNS redirect everyone to your local server automatically. (Of course other protections could be put in place from local hackers). If you want to get really fancy, offer internet hotspot service, but put a banner at the top of all the browsing which constantly shows photos form the event.
    ~ Gear Pictures
    edited May 27, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote: »
    Setting up new viewing stations it's easy to justify the cost. Other viewing stations can cost just as much but they are bulkier and in my opinion not built as well.

Retrofitting an entire outfit of stations with these doesn't make a lot of sense unless you can figure out how much time and hassle you can save and turn that into a dollar figure.

I don't know exactly what other type of viewing stations there are out there, but I built my system of 25 stations for under $5K. That doesn't include software and the housings as those would still apply to my set up.

I would like to see a pic if anyone out there has one of these units in action as viewing stations. I still want one to play with. After this thread started, I have already pictured a number of different ways to set up viewing stations with these, and I like them all, but in the end, I think the screen size will not go over well at my events. BUT, I would love to try it out. All I need is one winning lotto ticket.

I'm sure soon enough I will attend an event that has these in use as viewing stations.... can't wait!
    edited May 27, 2010
    I don't know exactly what other type of viewing stations there are out there, but I built my system of 25 stations for under $5K. That doesn't include software and the housings as those would still apply to my set up.

I would like to see a pic if anyone out there has one of these units in action as viewing stations. I still want one to play with. After this thread started, I have already pictured a number of different ways to set up viewing stations with these, and I like them all, but in the end, I think the screen size will not go over well at my events. BUT, I would love to try it out. All I need is one winning lotto ticket.

I'm sure soon enough I will attend an event that has these in use as viewing stations.... can't wait!

Under 5K is $200 per system. Thats a pretty tight budget, not impossible, but so tight I'd have a hard time replicating that on an average shopping day. (I'd have to assume you are using Linux on these as well because getting windows with $200 systems would be impossible for the budget). The only option I think that can come close is multi-headed computer.

As for the size. The Ipads would be presented in a manner that is closer to the user's face. I probably use my ipad 12 inches from my face. I use a computer at least 20 or more inches. Some of this is due to the room needed for keyboard and mouse.

Keep in mind, ipads also have built in speakers and can play light music in the background too. They also don't have clumsy mice/keyboards to worry about. Just 1 wire for the 10Watt power adapter, and you can use them for 10 hours straight without a charge, so you don't necessarily need power or cables.
    ~ Gear Pictures
    edited May 27, 2010
    I only have a pic that was taken from a distance during the set up at an event last year, so its not 100% as I have it now, but a glimpse of the beginnings. Our banners weren't up yet, signs not up, just a quick snapshot.... this was the first time we rolled this setup out.

721261814_osEXM-M.jpg

Basically I run 1 server connected to 3 viewing station computers which can turn into 33 with Ncomputing hardware. I currently run 22-25 due to the budget. All stations are connected via ethernet cables to the viewing station computers, then to the server thru a router. PhotoParata handles the images once they are loaded. We currently have a runner who runs the cards to my wife who loads them on the server. This year, I am shooting tethered so the files load automatically. Only keyboards needed are for the server and viewing station computers. All other stations only need a mouse. I am hoping to expand to 50 viewing stations this season.
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    I still think this is an awesome idea! Matter of fact next time we book one of our "Photo Corners" (like a photobooth but with live photog) we may have to use some of the profits to buy an iPad... wireless the photos to them so the guests can choose which photo we print..
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
    edited May 28, 2010
    Glort wrote: »
    My Vstations cost me $55 per unit a year ago and have been 100% reliable.
    I just bought 6 more boxes for $165 all up or $27 ea without screens but am talking to someone now about them for $35 ea.

Ipads went on sale this morning here in oz..... At $2k a pop! rolleyes1.gif

My Vstations cost me $55 per unit a year ago and have been 100% reliable.
    I just bought 6 more boxes for $165 all up or $27 ea without screens but am talking to someone now about them for $35 ea.

Hmm... I've seen the NComputing but the licensing scares me away:
    "Multiple Users on a Single OS Requires Microsoft Windows Server Licensing
    MS_singleOS_config1.jpg For applications where multiple interactive users are simultaneously sharing a single operating system, standard Microsoft Windows Server licensing applies. This means that the shared host computer (or virtual machine) runs a Microsoft Windows Server operating system.
    In addition a Microsoft Windows Server Client Access License (WS CAL) and a Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Client Access License (RDS CAL – formerly known as a Microsoft Terminal Services Client Access License or TS CAL) are required for each end-user or device that accesses Windows Server.
    Also, Microsoft's new Windows Multipoint Server 2010* can be used and requires a Windows MultiPoint Server 2010 CAL (WMS CAL) for each access device (and for the host computer if the host computer is used as a user station).** The diagram at right shows an example configuration with five users sharing a single computer running Windows MultiPoint Server 2010."

With having to buy 3 Windows Server 2008 licenses and all those CALs you are going to be paying over $5000 in just licensing 27 stations. Plus your prices aren't including a monitor, mouse or cables. All this adds up.

VStation - $35
    Monitor $110
    Mouse $5
    Windows CAL $20
    TS CAL $125

$295 per view station.

This does not include the 3 servers with windows 2008 on them which would be close to $1300 each with only modest desktop hardware.
    ~ Gear Pictures
    edited May 28, 2010
    John,
    I think you may be confusing me with Rockets setup.

Rocket,

Great setup.

I looked at a similar system but costs are always higher here and I was able to buy used machines with legal preloaded installations a lot cheaper than I could get the licenses. The drawback is the extra bulk but as I have been doing outdoor events and working out of a trailer where all the hardware was fixed in, that hasn't been a problem.

To cater for indoor events I am now in the process of setting everything up in quick setup boxes.
    I bought 15 USB wireless adapters today and the plan is do away with the routers, switches and cables. See how it goes.

I also want to test shooting tethered into a laptop and then wirelesly sending the images to the workstation from there. People have told me all sorts of reasons it won't work or wont have the range but so far tests I have done make this seem more than workable. :D

I'm just confused in general.... lol. Sorry.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Kiosk version of SmugMug
    I made a request on uservoice to create a stand-alone offline kiosk version of smugmug that would work just like regular smugmug, but without the internet connection, obviously driven from your hard drive. People could place orders, and then the orders would be transmitted to smugmug once you got back online.

Here is the request:
    http://smugmug.uservoice.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/354187-create-an-offline-version-of-smugmug-for-use-in-a-
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010

Holy CRAP! What is the exchange rate between OZ currency and either USA or Canada?

I paid $549 Cdn. for my WiFi enabled 16gb iPad. I didn't go for the 3G one that would require subscribing to a data plan and yet another monthly expense.

Even at the $549 rate, getting multiple v-stations would be a painful experience financially.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited June 8, 2010
    Yeah, especially when I bought 6 boxes the other day for Vstations that come with the windows licensing, KB& Mouse for $27 ea. I went out and bought 15 wireless USB adaptors for $10 ea so no more worrying about switches and network cables.
    The first of the Free LCD's my mate got from a customer arrived yesterday, Better than the ones I paid for and certainly the price was right! $37 a pop is hard to beat for a v station and I'm probably going to change plans for going from 5 to 12 and end up with 16.

Their is soooo much used IT gear out there that it just takes a bit of digging to get equipment which is still more than adequate for what we need but is at giveaway prices.
    I also bought yet another machine for a workstation that is better than the one I was going to use as a backup for $61. I'll throw some ram at it ( simply because I have some lying round that will fit) to bring it up to 3G and put in another HDD which I also have spare, and it will be a very good machine.

Of course another friend rings me yesterday and says you interested in a server for your trailer, we have these great ones they sre going to throw out, I'll send you down a couple and if you don't like them, just chuck them out!

I'm not sure I'd be real keen in Ipads even if they were free.
    I can just see every kid in the place wanting to stand around and play with them for hours and very little actual ordering being done. I'd probably spend half my time trying to reset the things back to the galleries and putting IE back into Kiosk mode which some of the enterprising darlings seem to know their way around too well.

I'm amazed an iPad will cost $2000 for you but you can get a computer with windows preinstalled for less than what it costs to even buy a copy of windows 2000 off eBay.

The iPad can be controlled. Besides without an Internet connection there isn't much else to do on a bare iPad.

The iPad isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things. If you want to save cash and get old computers from other businesses and then dig around for old lcds then spend your time piecing it all together and trouble shoot the bad hardware, you are essentially spending time instead of cash. But it is still spending.
    ~ Gear Pictures