Environmental Business Portrait - Sheryl

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited May 28, 2010 in People
Sheryl is an executive with the local shipyard and needed a few portraits for her Congressional hearing submissions. She advised that everyone used the same blue backdrop and she wanted something different, that spoke to her profession, while still being a somewhat conservative portrait. We opted to do the shoot with the USS Wisconsin as a backdrop, keeping the background simple by not including the whole ship but just the hull. C&C welcomed.

879989711_Lfirf-M.jpg

879990241_2MyAa-M.jpg

3. More for fun...
879991728_5B2KJ-M.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    I like #2 the best, with #1 following a close second. My only problem with #1 is the number on the ship's hull. For me, it's distracting. I understand the intent of it being in the frame, but I would have liked to seen the whole number. In #3 the angle of her head seems overly posed, but the her smile seems very sincere. Take these thoughts with a grain of salt as I personally prefer not shooting people.

Kris
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Thank you Kris for the comments. The funny thing about #3 is that it was the most "unposed" of the bunch. I clicked it when she was laughing at a joke she told. :D
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    I'm thinking her face is too straight to the camera in 1 and 2. Makes it look big. I love the smile on 3 but 1 and 2 it looks forced.

3 is nice but IMO not quite professional enough especially given the reason/use of the photo.

notwithstanding the issues above, I like 1 best out of them all, I dont' mind at all that the number isn't completely showing - I think it establishes the shot but doesn't take full attention away. #2 I'd never know it was a ship unless told.
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    The lighting is very nice... for me it needs just a bit of postwork on a horizontal shadow that is below the nose and above the lip in 1 & 2... It almost looks like a "stache". I bet she wouldn't like that.
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Creative background is cool. I think you need to crop up a bit on 1, her shoulders look odd to me but it would be fine if the crop was just tighter. Nice colors!
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    FWIW, I like the first for a couple of reasons. First, as an environmental portrait, the number of the ship lets me know that it is a ship (and not some piece of metal sculpture or building). The reflection on the hull is too bright in the second one for me anyhow. I like her head position in the first best. It feels strongest, which is what I think you'd want for a congressional briefing. The rim light on the first is a little nicer than the second anyhow, IMO.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Thank you everyone for the excellent feedback! It will help me with the selection and processing of the remaining photos as well as improve for the next shoot. Y'all are the greatest!
  • mscoelhomscoelho Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2010
    I too prefer no. 2 with the shadow across the upper lip lightened up.