What would Canon do to a camera body if I send it in for a "tune up"?

PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
edited May 27, 2010 in Cameras
Ok, we have 2 40d cameras... one has 72,024 actuations and one has 50,713 actuations. the 40d is "rated" at 100k shutters but of course we know it could last longer or not as long.

Anyway, maybe it's just a placebo effect but it just seems like the bodies aren't creating quite as good photos as they once did - with the same lenses, photos are seeming "softer", there might be a degradation in focusing, etc.

Neither camera has EVER been cleaned or anything - but there's NO sign of any dust on the sensor, etc.

So, I'm wondering if it's worth it to send each of the bodies in for "tune ups"... whatever they may do to them... cleaning, a full "checkup" to see if they are performing to spec or whatever.

Obviously I don't want to waste money or spend more money than is financially feasible (ie. I wouldn't spend more than $300 to fix or service each body).

So does anyone know what Canon would do and how much it would cost?

Or are there any suggested "service" items that I could do on my own?
Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
2 Canon 40d
70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
And a bunch of other stuff ;)

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 26, 2010
    The are 2 services that Canon could provide which might be appropriate:
    • CLA (Clean, Lubricate and Adjust)
    • Focus Calibration

The CLA is what some folks want when they just want their camera "checked out". Any detected problems would be tended to, but anything serious could involve an extra charge.

Focus Calibration can take 2 forms:
    1. Calibrate against a "calibration standard" lens that Canon uses for standard focus calibration (like what they do after a mirror box replacement).
    2. Calibrate the focus of your lenses and cameras together.

First, determine for yourself whether your AF is really "off". Run some realistic tests and draw some reasonable conclusions. Static focus tests are one method that might give basic insights, and the one that I recommend is:

http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart

I do recommend testing at distances of at least twice MFD (Minimum Focus Distance) for any lenses that are not true "macro" designs.

This sort of test should give you some real feedback comparisons for AF regarding particular lens/body combinations in static conditions.

Next try to generate a simulation of conditions similar to an actual shoot. Consider lighting conditions as well as normal subject size and movement. The concept is to test your equipment keeping track of potential issues without the complications or stress of an actual event. (Concentrate very purposefully on your technique to see if that is an issue.)

After the above tests you should have a pretty good idea about the performance of your equipment. Based on the results you can decide what services you might require of Canon or any repair/adjustment facility.

If you decide to send your equipment in to Canon for camera/lens calibration you will also have some benchmarks from which to determine whether adjustments were truly beneficial.

If you send your stuff into Canon they will give you an estimate before starting any repairs. Then you decide whether to proceed or not. The exact costs will depend on all that they wind up doing for you.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Ok, cool.. GREAT info ziggy, thanks! I will work on the benchmarks, etc. I guess the first step is to just see if it's just us knowing that they are getting "old" and if we are looking for problems (or more sensitive)... but these are great steps to take!
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)