More Infectious Bandini

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited May 29, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
This jewel is a 1949 Bandini Siluro. It is the second car Llario Bandini produced. It reflects a lot of his own mechanical genious....particularly the swing-axle independent rear suspension. In this car, the engine, gear box, and brake package are modified Fiat 1100/508. This car raced in the 1949 Mille Miglia ( a 1,000 mile race that tested both car and driver to the extreme ) and was driven by Bandini himself.

880119507_vc3TB-XL.jpg

880119273_NHjrE-XL.jpg

880119737_GCsWB-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Nice car -- I like how the fenders are placed over the wheels and the fan behind the grill. Neat :D
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Hi Mary,

It's nice to have you visit. I sometimes wonder just how much spray those fenders actually kept off the driver in wet conditions....probably not a lot.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2010
    Got a moment to read up a small bit on that 1949 race and tons of other
    stuff associated with races of that kind in general. Infectious is truly the
    word. Some of the old pictures of the people, cars and places they raced
    is absolutely interesting.

The numbering on the car shown here is reversed from the car he raced.
    Wonder at the significance of that. headscratch.gif:D
    Michael
    edited May 29, 2010
    Hi Michael,

As always, it's great to hear from you.

As an old car buff, I find the history of racing ( the people, places, and equipment ) to be truly fascinating. The 30's, 40's and 50's are particularly interesting to me. Racing, as you are well aware of, is the source and motivation for most of the advancements in design and manufacture of car components. Great leaps and strides were made in those periods I mentioned: bringing cars into the modern era and setting precedents that continue on into today's world.

Your observation about the numbering on the Bandini being reversed is quite interesting. This car shown is the exact one he ran in the 1949 Mille Miglia. I'm going to dig around and look into the numbering issue....could have been a screw-up in the restoration, but I seriously doubt that. If you find out anything, let me know.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    edited May 29, 2010
    Hey Tom :D
    These are the two pieces I took a look at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilario_Bandini

First article has photo with the vehicle numbered 427 for 49' Mille Miglia.

http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/mille_miglia_1949.htm

The second article refers to race vehicle numbering in first paragraph.

Dug up more photos from one site. Static display site looks familiar.
    No photo credits to the photographer/s.
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/512920,9615,0,0/photo.aspx
    Michael
    edited May 29, 2010
    Michael
    edited May 29, 2010
    Michael,

It appears that the only time this car was raced with the # 427 was during the 1949 Mille Miglia....as the photo shows and the race documentation attests to. All the other old photos of the car I can find show the # 724, or no number at all. For whatever reason, the restoration folks elected to go with # 724....possibly this number was assigned to the car at another big race. I'm going to try and get the Amelia show organizer to point me in the right direction so I can contact the current owner and get his input.

Thanks for throwing in the link to the 1949 air show and races....very interesting.

Take care,

Tom