Can I refurbish an old lens?

TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited May 27, 2010 in Cameras
Hi,
I recently got a good deal on a 12 year old Canon 2.8L 70-200. It seems sharp, but I was thinking of sending it in somewhere to get cleaned up, adjusted, maybe repainted? Can anyone recommend a place to get this done, and a ballpark price? Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 27, 2010
    I don't believe you will find a place to "repaint" a Canon "L" lens. You can have Canon replace the body (cost prohibitive) or you can re-touch the body yourself. From this page:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/canon-lenses/Canon-L-Lens-Series.aspx

"Did you know that Canon sells white L Series touchup paint? Although it is not cheap ($14.41 for 100g plus $8.00 or so for shipping), you can order it through Canon Parts. The part number is CY9-8078-001. The phone number to order in the US is 1-732-521-7230."

Canon service will perform a CLA (Clean Lubricate and Adjust) at your request, but adjust doesn't include focus adjust, which is a separate "Calibration" adjustment. If you want AF calibration it's best to send both the lens and any bodies in together, so that they can all be calibrated to each other.

If you send the lens in to Canon repair they will give you an estimate for the services. A CLA should be very reasonable unless they find parts that need replacing. If replacement parts are needed you will be charged accordingly.

My suggestion is to clean the lens yourself and order the touch-up paint and do that yourself too. Unless the lens has been used by a professional or abused (sometimes the same thing, unfortunately) or unless the lens is "acting up", you are probably OK to just use the lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Can I refurbish an old lens?
    Thanks Ziggy, it seems to be OK, but once in a while it hunts to focus, and I did get a couple error codes that the contacts are dirty. The contacts look a bit worn down compared to my newer F4. I was previously owned by a professional sports shooter, who just upgraded to the MII.