f-stop auto bracket? 1Ds3

timplogtimplog Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited May 27, 2010 in Technique
Wonder if I've been missing something but haven't seen the option yet to automate a series of different f-stops for a given exposure-similar to the "white balance" or "shutter speed" auto bracket feature that is common. Using 1Ds3 and would think Photoshop could merge similar to HDR for greater depth of field in the print?? Thanks
canon 1Ds3...24-70L 2.8...50L 1.2...100L 2.8 IS...70-200L II 2.8 IS..100-400L IS...RSS TVC33/BH-55..wimberley sidekick...

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    I don't have a 1Ds, but can't you do that with exposure bracketing in Tv mode? The f/stop would change and not the speed. Works on the 5Dmk2...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 27, 2010
    For greater DOF, you would not want your focal point at the same spot in each image, so auto bracketing of aperture is not really what you want.

Instead, use the sharpest aperture your lens offers - typically f5.6 of f8 or f11 - and take a series of three shots from a tripod moving the focus from in front of the hyperfocal distance, at the hyperfocal distance, and past the hyperfocal distance, and then blend these images in Photoshop in some manner.

There are commercial image processing programs that do this of course - some of the macro shooters use them fairly often.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • timplogtimplog Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    For greater DOF, you would not want your focal point at the same spot in each image, so auto bracketing of aperture is not really what you want.

Instead, use the sharpest aperture your lens offers - typically f5.6 of f8 or f11 - and take a series of three shots from a tripod moving the focus from in front of the hyperfocal distance, at the hyperfocal distance, and past the hyperfocal distance, and then blend these images in Photoshop in some manner.

There are commercial image processing programs that do this of course - some of the macro shooters use them fairly often.

Thanks that was very helpful and I appreciate your time. Sounds like just the ticket and I'm going to look into the blending side of this operation this weekend if (?) I get some free time. This must be a useful in macro especially with those DOF issues. Thanks very much.
    canon 1Ds3...24-70L 2.8...50L 1.2...100L 2.8 IS...70-200L II 2.8 IS..100-400L IS...RSS TVC33/BH-55..wimberley sidekick...