Practice Portrait: Comments welcome

ltdesignphotovideoltdesignphotovideo Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
edited August 26, 2005 in People
Ok work has been extrememly slow lately so I decided to take time to work on my photoshop technique. I'm a subscriber to Communication Arts magazine and I love their photo annual that comes out at the beginning of the summer. I highly recommend it. It's mostly commercial photography but there are other things in it as well. They have great photos. I entered, for the first time, into the competition this year but didn't get into the annual. I have studied the photos in the annual and am trying to find a "look" that I may use to enter again next year and possibly be published in the annual. I see certain techniques that are used varying from the old Kodacolor look to that of almost an illustrative technique from several past annuals, as well as this years annual. I can tell a lot of the photos have had work done. I don't like to do a lot of digital altering but it seems a lot of that is done now. Comments welcome on this photo. I want to know if it works or not. I like it for what it is but I like untouched photos better. Please let me know what you think. It would be very helpful. I'm trying to develop a style with my photography. I have a style with my graphic design but not with photography. Thanks everyone!! :clap

-t
:drums
Lindsay Thompson
www.grafxcreative.com

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    I like it.. I like the colors, the "starkness" of it. Couple of things popped into my head when I looked at it.. one was no face, the other was the blur is a little to obvious on his bare arm and you've got some kind of black smudge on his left shoulder, perhaps from cloning or patching. I quite like the "blown" out white look and the feel of it.
  • ltdesignphotovideoltdesignphotovideo Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    I took out the blur. I think this looks better. You? THanks for the comments.
    -t
    Lindsay Thompson
    www.grafxcreative.com
    edited August 18, 2005
    I told you I was bored at work. I have had way TOO MUCH TIME TO PLAY. I like the other picture better though.
    -t
    Lindsay Thompson
    www.grafxcreative.com
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Can you post the original of the first one? I think the blur is still too harsh.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
    edited August 18, 2005
    This is the original. I sharpened and toyed with it for the first one. The second one I posted of the same picture I took out the blur. I thought it took away from it rather than add. The batter swinging was just another attempt at the selective color process. Ok, enough of my babbling, here's the original.
    Lindsay Thompson
    www.grafxcreative.com
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    the guy swinging the bat is a super shot and the PP work isn't obvious except there's a nasty halo down his back. It's the muscle definition that makes it.

the first example (w/ blur) doesn't work for me - too heavy handed.
    The second one is better, the high contrast works. However, because you can't see his face I don't think it'll get published in a magazine. (I may be proven wrong of course - you can never tell what's in the judges' minds ne_nau.gifmwink.gif)

I told you I was bored at work. I have had way TOO MUCH TIME TO PLAY. I like the other picture better though.
    -t
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
    edited August 19, 2005
    I like the fact that you can't see his face. I think, artistically it's neat. I don't think it would get published as an advertisement but CA magazine does judge the raw photo for what it brings to the table. I will enter again next year and if I don't get in then what have I lost? Nothing. It never hurts to try. Thanks for the great comments and feedback.
    Lindsay Thompson
    www.grafxcreative.com
    edited August 25, 2005
    Here's another picture with the same effect.
    Lindsay Thompson
    www.grafxcreative.com
  • arthillarthill Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Here's another picture with the same effect.
    :): Well images are all a matter of taste after all. I like the effect on this one and the swinging batter but I actually prefer the original of the catcher. Go figure.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.
    In order to understand recursion, you first have to understand recursion.
    Art Hill
    edited August 26, 2005
    I like raw photos as they are more so than digital art. I was messing around in photoshop and thought this was a different approach to the typical. I like both the original of the catcher and the selective color shot.
    Lindsay Thompson
    www.grafxcreative.com