one more time

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited August 18, 2005 in People
im gonna meet my new niece and nephew from Brazil this weekend. Never seen them before. anyway, they requested ii dont u se a flash so im trying the 85mm 1.8. tried it on my daughter with hardly any available light..... looks ok? im not looking for studio quality but i am looking for quality.......
its a new lens, so again im looking for advice...

troy

32585897-M.jpg

Aperture: f/1.8 ISO: 400 Focal Length: 85mm (guess: 83mm in 35mm) Exposure Time: 0.01s (1/100) Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode Exposure Program: Aperture priority

Comments

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    im gonna meet my new niece and nephew from Brazil this weekend. Never seen them before. anyway, they requested ii dont u se a flash so im trying the 85mm 1.8. tried it on my daughter with hardly any available light..... looks ok? im not looking for studio quality but i am looking for quality.......
    its a new lens, so again im looking for advice...

troy

32585897-M.jpg

Aperture: f/1.8 ISO: 400 Focal Length: 85mm (guess: 83mm in 35mm) Exposure Time: 0.01s (1/100) Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode Exposure Program: Aperture priority
    Troy I find teh light just fine but the eyes a bit soft? Could just be me. You daughter is very photogenic..
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Maybe use a slightly higher Aperture, her left eye looks more in focus than her right eye. I would also watch out for the reflection off her shirt, it makes the right side of her face red. Other than that I think it looks good.
    Why don't they want you to use a flash?

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    thanx for the advice, my niece is a new born.... i also think this lens probably has a very shallow dof and i probably focused on the left ( who remembers headscratch.gif )....

troy

gluwater wrote:
    Maybe use a slightly higher Aperture, her left eye looks more in focus than her right eye. I would also watch out for the reflection off her shirt, it makes the right side of her face red. Other than that I think it looks good.
    Why don't they want you to use a flash?

Nick
  • burkeburke Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    you can also try using a refelctor to bounce some of the available light
    (and I have the same question as Nick: why don't they want you to use a flash?)
    ~Autumn
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    4labs, you are the smartest guy i know!!! mwink.gif
    lol, thanx so much for that! I agree about the eyes.. hmm ill have to try again....rolleyes1.gif

troy
    4labs wrote:
    Troy I find teh light just fine but the eyes a bit soft? Could just be me. You daughter is very photogenic..
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    lol, thanx so much for that! I agree about the eyes.. hmm ill have to try again....rolleyes1.gif

troy

remember, when you use that 135L, it's fairly heavy so you want to make sure you shutter speed is high enough - at least 1/160th sec imo
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    thanx for the advice, my niece is a new born.... i also think this lens probably has a very shallow dof and i probably focused on the left ( who remembers headscratch.gif )....

troy
    Wouldn't it be alright to bounce the flash off the ceiling? Or use a diffuser? But I can see why they would be against a flash and it's good that you respect their wishes.
    You could also use a tripod, it may help sharpen by getting rid of camera shake. Also, I mentioned to maybe use a higher Aperture, but now that I think of it that will slow the shutter and you were already at 1/100 and I don't know about you but 1/80th is pushing it for me to handhold.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    remember, when you use that 135L, it's fairly heavy so you want to make sure you shutter speed is high enough - at least 1/160th sec imo

sorry - for the 85mm go for a shutter speed of at least 1/100th and you should be able to elim camera shake
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    windoze wrote:

troy
    Thnxs Troy just tell my wife that.yelrotflmao.gif