Fishing - constructive criticism, please.

MurrillMurrill Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited May 30, 2010 in People
My son Paul. First attempt at mixing a little color into a B&W.
Paul-5.jpg

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Is the subject your son or the flowers?

I like the shot... don't like the selective color. Actually, I think the composition would work better if you cloned the flower out.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010

I like the shot... don't like the selective color. Actually, I think the composition would work better if you cloned the flower out.

I agree, the flower drags the eye to the opposite side of the subject, which I assume is the boy according to the title. And maybe a bit tighter crop. Don't be afraid to use odd sizes for a crop. I recently attended a convention, and one speaker talked about how we often try to manage our wonderful family portraits according to the size frame Target sells. The great painters of our time didn't limit themselves, we shouldn't either.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010

15524779-Ti.gif The selective color distracts here. Like the shot though.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    I'm with anonymouscuban on this one. I would remove the flower completely. It serves no purpose and is just a distraction. The selective color doesn't work here.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • MurrillMurrill Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2010
    Thanks everybody, I appreciate the feedback! I'll clone out the flower and see how it looks.
    Thanks again.
    jm
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    I always cringe when a client asks if I do selective color. It works in a very small set of situations, this is definitely not one of them. Selective color works when the subject is what's left in color.

That said, you have a very strong image here. Good expression, well composed. You would probably help it by cloning the flower out entirely.
  • WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2010
    I agree with all the above words. I also hate selective coloring in most cases. Some of my brides ask me for it in some of their photos when we first meet, and I too cringe. I only even have one such photo in my whole portfolio I think. Selective coloring is a goofy amateur trick. IMO. Yes, your photo would look way better without that little trick. Yes, even without the flower altogether. Agreed.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2010
    The rare occasion where I've seen selective color actually work is when a a bride is holding bouquet of flowers against her dress and the composition is tight on the flowers. In that case, the flowers are the subject and the other elements are usually very monochromatic to begin with. So desaturation of the other elements either partially or completely can look good.

Sorry to hijack your thread Murrill. mwink.gif