Help with firmware update: M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f3.5-5.6

aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited May 29, 2010 in Cameras
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

I'm the proud owner of a new Olympus E-PL1, with the M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens.

According to Olympus, the latest firmware for the M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 is v1.1. Also according to Olympus, you can update the lens firmware one of two ways: either through the OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater or through OLYMPUS Master 2.

Problem is, I can't get either one to work with this lens!

I successfully updated the firmware on the camera with the OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater, but that program thinks that the lens firmware is up to date, even though it says the installed firmware is version 1.0. OLYMPUS Master 2 won't even recognize the camera. When I check the firmware version on the camera, it also says that the lens is at 1.0. I've tried putting a different lens on the camera and it correctly reports the firmware version for that lens.

I'm pretty sure the camera is working OK, and the lens seems fine (no visible damage)--they're both brand new out of the box.

Any suggestions/insight?

TIA.

Comments

• Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    Just a thought, are the programs up to date ?

Cheers, Don
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion, Don. The two programs auto-updated when I first ran them.

I might call Olympus tech support and see what they say.
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    All's well that ends well.

I called Olympus tech support, and they said that there is an "old" version of the lens, with a silver barrel, that needs the firmware upgrade, but the "newer" version of the lens, which is the one that comes in the kit today, doesn't require or take the firmware upgrade. So if you buy this kit, and your lens is black, you shouldn't need to upgrade. The most current firmware (as of 5-28-10) for this lens is 1.0.
  • Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 28, 2010
    All's well that ends well.

I called Olympus tech support, and they said that there is an "old" version of the lens, with a silver barrel, that needs the firmware upgrade, but the "newer" version of the lens, which is the one that comes in the kit today, doesn't require or take the firmware upgrade. So if you buy this kit, and your lens is black, you shouldn't need to upgrade. The most current firmware (as of 5-28-10) for this lens is 1.0.

That's very good information. Thanks for reporting back. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 29, 2010
    Don Kondra wrote: »
    It's never easy, is it ? :)

rolleyes1.gif