Aly is 18

telefotoguytelefotoguy Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited July 11, 2010 in People
Hi guys, she just turned 18 and I did a shoot for her 'debut' party Just wanted to share and hear your c&c's :)

4647405144_2f0c3a0eba_b.jpg

4647407364_0aeb65ca9c_b.jpg

4647406982_bf2ec837f1_b.jpg

4647406460_8bfce1f219_b.jpg

4647406212_2feaf4a0a5_b.jpg

4646790879_886fc5c8de_b.jpg

4646790611_71e39a97df_b.jpg

4647405050_7e5a2e2ee3_b.jpg

4647407698_d7e2a1067d_b.jpg

4646792927_8d71a725de_b.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    you have some lovely compositions here. The lighitng could use some work and fosus is soft in a few but very nice!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    you have some lovely compositions here. The lighitng could use some work and fosus is soft in a few but very nice!
    + Aly is gooorgeous!! What a pretty lady! iloveyou.gif

- #1&2: beautiful
    - Not liking the processing of #3, how about b&w?
    - #4 such a cute shot, but so soft :cry + her eyes are blue > I'd desaturate that part
    - #5: gorgeous
    - #6 ... just toooo yellow for my taste .... I really like strong colors, but that's too much
    - #7: my favorite iloveyou.gif
    - #8&9: nice
    - #10: Very pretty clap.gif
  • codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    #2 is the stellar capture here and a worthy image against top competition.

Some of the processing in the images are the detractors just like Angie noted. I know that the push is to do these fabulously photoshopped images, but remember the loss of connection between the processing and the story behind the image.
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    Gorgeous model!
    Great set.
    5 and 7 do it for me, I'd like to see a b+w conversion of 3.
    Very nice work.
  • telefotoguytelefotoguy Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2010
    I wish I had 'discovered' dgrin a few weeks earlier. I could have shown the pics here for comments and adjustments before it was presented on-site!

qarik - thanks! which pics in particular would the lighting fix be needed?

angie - sharp eyes (yours, lol), I didnt notice the bluish hue in the eyes. gotta fix that. I hope the guests didn't notice. haha

chris - thanks for the comments. I am trying to learn more PP though. right now, it's mostly presets.

brewstere - i'm working on b&w conversion and will post in a bit.

The image softness could be due to my lens (Sigma 70-200 II 2.8 without IS) coupled with the fact I have shaky hands. hehe.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2010
    The image softness could be due to my lens (Sigma 70-200 II 2.8 without IS) coupled with the fact I have shaky hands. hehe.
    What shutter speed has been used for the soft ones? Could be too slow for hand-holding, perhaps? ne_nau.gif
    edited May 29, 2010
    here are two of the pictures which I treated differently as suggested, what do you think?

4649432448_1736029e96_b.jpg

4649432286_2d032c7f66_b.jpg
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2010
    Love the redo's, especially 2. You've have a great idea and creativity, I'm jealous. Just got to work on exposure a little bit and subject placement at times.
    edited May 29, 2010
    Thanks for the kind words Charles :)

I started the shoot with a studio strobe (#1 & #7) but as this was my first time to do something like this, I decided to just continue the shoot using the 'available light'

Which pictures do you feel are underexposed and which ones would need the subject repositioning?
    edited May 29, 2010
    Thanks for the kind words Charles :)

I started the shoot with a studio strobe (#1 & #7) but as this was my first time to do something like this, I decided to just continue the shoot using the 'available light'

Which pictures do you feel are underexposed and which ones would need the subject repositioning?

This is just my opinion of what a judge would comment on when judging so take it for what you want. Everyone has an opinion and it is strictly that, an opinion.
    #3 seems to be over especially in the hand, there is lost detail.
    #4 seems to be under
    #5 I like but the white wall takes your eye away. Rotate the image a 180 degrees and see what jumps out at you. Bright areas come forward and dark areas receede. (sp)
    #7 clone out parallel white line to left of lamp
    #8 hand seems awkard and not sure what it is doing. Appears to be holding on to something. Her body needs more of an S curve to make it more appealing.
    #10 Maybe a horizontal crop. The chair back does nothing to enhance the photo.
    Just my musings. You do have a great eye!!!! Good job.
    edited June 3, 2010
    Charles, did you take any specific photo class for this? that is the kind of attention to detail I know I still lack :D
    edited June 3, 2010
    Charles, did you take any specific photo class for this? that is the kind of attention to detail I know I still lack :D
    Try to find your local photography guild and join then attend the monthly meetings. You will find many people willing to help you. I am a big fan of small classes from a professional photographer. One who teaches a 2 or 3 day class for 12 or so photographers. This is a very hands on class that will cover many areas. This will cost you but is well worth the money. I do not learn from the massive classes that are taught.

The nearest one I'm aware of for you would be in Australia. Jerry Ghinios (sp) is a super instructor. http://www.jerryghionis.com/
  • renren Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    Love your compositions. I like the framing in 5 and the lines in 2. Great job on the redos! clap.gif
    edited July 8, 2010
    Hey Charles, going to Australia to attend those lessons will cost a pretty penny for me (proabably a 5dmkII!) Haha. That said, there are actually several excellent classes here in Manila. Just haven't gotten round fixing my schedule yet :-/

Ren - thanks :)

This is the guy who's style I like and actually the pictures which my shots are inspired by:
    http://mymetrophoto.com/
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    Like the re-dos! clap.gif
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    The are great. I must say I am curious about the Santas in #9.
    Jaye
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Stunning. bowdown.gifbowdown.gif #2
    I very much prefer the redone #6. The original had that orange halo around her that I didn't care for.
    I agree with Hackbone on the crop of #10. I find this crop awkard.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    #2 is def my fave of the bunch...and love the re-process on the wall shot! thumb.gif
    edited July 11, 2010
    I really appreciate the comments and encouragements from everyone

@jayegirl - what about the santas? :D