Options

New Guy with a weird wedding question...

r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
edited May 29, 2010 in Weddings
Does anyone else turn down weddings for couples that they don't feel will mesh well with your shooting style?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm new around these parts :)

-Wally

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr

Comments

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    hell yea!

and not only weddings, really.
    any event.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    Yes
    Most def. Has to be a great fit for everyone involved.
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited May 28, 2010
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. The guys at work were like "You get paid $XXXX to shoot pics, who cares!". I just don't get that mentality lol.

• Options
    PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    I don't think we've come across any couples that don't want our shooting style, or one that we could provide... and if we did, they probably wouldn't want us to do their wedding anyway, since we have TONS of demo work, all recent and they'd realize pretty quick that our style doesn't match what they want. If they have unreasonable expectations then we would re-educate them and manage those expectations, or based on our conversation, they wouldn't hire us in the first place.

Now, if we know we can provide what they want, but they seem to be total PITA's or we have a feeling they'll be trouble down the road, then we quote them a price that would make it worth our while to bother with them... and that usually weeds them out anyway - but if they say OK then at least we're making $$$ to make it worth our while.
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • Options
    entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2010
    I don't think we've come across any couples that don't want our shooting style, or one that we could provide... and if we did, they probably wouldn't want us to do their wedding anyway, since we have TONS of demo work, all recent and they'd realize pretty quick that our style doesn't match what they want. If they have unreasonable expectations then we would re-educate them and manage those expectations, or based on our conversation, they wouldn't hire us in the first place.

Now, if we know we can provide what they want, but they seem to be total PITA's or we have a feeling they'll be trouble down the road, then we quote them a price that would make it worth our while to bother with them... and that usually weeds them out anyway - but if they say OK then at least we're making $$$ to make it worth our while.

I've done the high price quote thing as well as the "I'm sorry, I'm already booked for that day" response for event clients who give me that "this isn't going to quite work out" feeling about.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2010
    ^^ Entropysedge!! Another SVR'er. lol.

• Options
    entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    ^^ Entropysedge!! Another SVR'er. lol.

Yes!! :D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2010
    Guess I have been really lucky.....I have never turned down a wedding for any reason if the time slot was open.......
    I seem to mesh well with the uber religious conservatives or the uber non religious uber non conservative.......

There was one that I lurched on prior to wedding: the groom to be was a yelling abusive
    type it turned out.....................while shooting the engagement photos he was screamin and went to back hand
    the bides child....I put away my toys and told him I would call the cops......gave a refund on the spot.......
    only time I lurched on a client ..........a couple of years later a buddy and I sere looking at the child molesters
    in our area and there he was.......actually smiling in his mugshot.........it sickened me to see that smile.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website