Options

fabric shots

nicnellynicnelly Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited June 15, 2010 in Technique
I am looking for tips on how to prop some hand made fabric items. Also, how can I increase the contrast between the whites? If there is a better place to post this please let me know! thanks!

Comments

• Options
    edited May 29, 2010
    I should have specified that I am trying to get rid of wrinkles (in addition to some hard core ironing).
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 29, 2010
    I think you'll get a better response in the Technique forum, so I moved it there.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    I wouldn't use the white background. I would use a contrast or something else such as the blue in the flower on the shirt.

Using a white background with a white subject has 2 possible outcomes: It will show how 'unwhite' your subject is, or it will blend.

But if you must... proper exposure and contrast adjustments should help separate them.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    Another option is to put them on a mannequin or person and use modeling to give the shirt a separation and 3d appearance. You can edit out the limbs in that case.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote: »
    I wouldn't use the white background. I would use a contrast or something else such as the blue in the flower on the shirt.

Using a white background with a white subject has 2 possible outcomes: It will show how 'unwhite' your subject is, or it will blend.

But if you must... proper exposure and contrast adjustments should help separate them.

I agree with John...
    Beige, gray or any high contrast color.
    You will need to iron.....
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2010
    thanks for your thoughts. My client really wants the white background. She wants all the products on white so that when they are all on the same page the background just drops out and it looks like they are all on a white table. she might consider a model for just the white but I'm wondering if there is another way. I know that we need to do some ironing but I'm wondering if in addition to that people use pins or cardboard to stretch the fabric. Here are some examples of ones she liked: http://www.babyjar.com/index.php?p=product&id=179&parent=28
    http://www.punkbabyclothes.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2575
    http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?source=family&itemId=19013
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote: »
    ...But if you must... proper exposure and contrast adjustments should help separate them...
    deal.gifdealdeal.gif
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    If your garment is essentially the same white as your background, then you MUST create a physical separation so ther'll be a little bit of a shadow on the BG. You can do this by making a cardboard "table" in the shape of the garment, but a tiny bit smaller, and elevating it maybe 1/2" above the BG. Lay your garment on the "table" and take your shot. Seriously, pure white on pure white ain't going to look like much.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.