Options

How Manage Parents with Cameras?

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited June 3, 2010 in Technique
Ok, here is the deal.

The other day I was taking outdoor group photos of 8th grade graduates on the steps of a church. Small school so not many graduates. Behind me were many parents and grandparents, etc. Most had cameras. (Keeping in mind that there are 4.5 billion registered cell phones - almost everybody has a camera!)

How do you mange a crowd of parents with cameras when taking outdoor group photos so those being photographed are looking at you?

Any ideas are welcome.:barb

Thanks, Phil
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2010
    A referee's whistle can be a useful way to get their attention…

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited May 29, 2010
    I'd get them together and explain that you have been contracted to get the group shot and ask them to wait while you get that shot for them. Explain that once you've gotten the shot, the kids can stay set up and parents are free to shoot.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    I agree the Ian - the same holds true for weddings. You get people set up and then you find that they're all looking at relatives with cameras. Make sure your voice is loud and command their attention to you. And you can always call out something like, "Let me just get a few shots and then you guys can take a turn!" Keep some humor in it and people tend to be very accommodating.
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Re: How Manage Parents with Cameras?
    X2, and I also use hand signals (like a wave or a 1,2,3) to get eyes on me at the right moment.

LiflanderPhotography.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited June 3, 2010
    "Let me just get a few shots and then you guys can take a turn!" Keep some humor in it and people tend to be very accommodating.

And the best part about being accommodating is that folks remember that and you might well be asked to do other work outside of the current job.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?