Options

Nikon D200

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited August 19, 2005 in Cameras
These are supposedly the specifications ofr Nikon's 200D DSLR
http://www.infodigitalcamera.com/blog/15/d200-specification-2/
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Interesting. Significantly bigger and heavier that a D70.

Surprised to see only 100-800 iso; seems like a step backwards.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    CMOS. 12.4 megapixels. 100-800 ISO. That sounds like the D2X sensor.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    Interesting. Significantly bigger and heavier that a D70.

Surprised to see only 100-800 iso; seems like a step backwards.
    That looks like a marketing decision where they don't want it competing with their pro line.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    That looks like a marketing decision where they don't want it competing with their pro line.

Am I mistaken (or is Phil Askey)? I believe the D2X officially is 100-800 as well. So is my Olympus E-1 BTW, but I can use 1600 and 3200 ISO by using ISO Boost. Nikon calls this HI-1 and HI-2 on the D2X I believe.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    All I can say is :jawdrop :jawdrop :jawdrop !!!

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of this camera. I've been toying with the idea of buying a D2X, but I'm really not interested in such a heavy pro body. Sign me up for a D200.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    marlof wrote:
    Am I mistaken (or is Phil Askey)? I believe the D2X officially is 100-800 as well. So is my Olympus E-1 BTW, but I can use 1600 and 3200 ISO by using ISO Boost. Nikon calls this HI-1 and HI-2 on the D2X I believe.
    I was thinking about the D2h and D2hs which have a range of 200-1600.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    All I can say is :jawdrop :jawdrop :jawdrop !!!

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of this camera. I've been toying with the idea of buying a D2X, but I'm really not interested in such a heavy pro body. Sign me up for a D200.
    Now all we need is for rumor to become reality. Hopefully this will turn out to be the real thing and hopefully soon.
    Harry
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    If that is real it will kill the D2X sales.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Forget the digital F100, I think we might get a digital F6!!!

Does nobody find it eerily conspicuous that Nikon info "leaked" right after Canon info "leaked"? I for one believe that these cameras ARE real, and not "made up" wishful thinking, but I just thought the whole "leak" of info scenario is worth a raised eyebrow and a chuckle.

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    It reminds me a bit of the introduction of the Pocket PCs in 2000. HP and Casio had their new line ready in time for the announcement of the Pocket PC platform in April. Compaq didn't, their first iPAQ was still in the works and wouldn't be out for a few months. Suddenly, the images and specs of the new Compaq were "leaked". Publicly, Compaq was upset, but I don't think they were that annoyed. Since the iPAQ had quite a few advantages over the Casio Cassiopeia and HP Jornada, many were confirmed by this leak that it would be best to hold out and wait for Compaq. Although it never was clear if this was a set up, I personally always felt this was a brilliant marketing move.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    After all these years between Nikon and Canon in digital cameras, it's be amazing if Nikon actually toook the lead. And if they can, why did they not lead with the D2X?
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    After all these years between Nikon and Canon in digital cameras, it's be amazing if Nikon actually toook the lead. And if they can, why did they not lead with the D2X?
    The D2x did take the lead for many, in that it cost less than the Canon 1Ds mkII, yet was faster, just as durable if not more, and far more versatile with the HSC mode. At $5000 as compared to $8000, if it didn't "take the lead" it was at least an old-fashioned slap-in-the-face, definitely. I think that if the new Canon and the New Nikon are both true to the "alleged" specs, things actually will at least be very, very evened out.

However in light of Marlof's account of the pocket PC releases, I think this might be what has happened: Either Canon or Nikon caught word of the other's product, and let "leak" a similar spec sheet to rival / equal the other "leak". Maybe Canon is the one lying about their new camera, and when they caught wind of Nikon's D200 they decided to wow the crowd with with a FF sensor in a compact body. Maybe Nikon is the one lying about their new camera, and when they caught word of Canon's new FF camera, they figured they'd wow the crowd with a "D2x minus the vert grip and 2-3 FPS"...

Like I said though, I'd love to see both of these cameras. I know at least the Canon I might get to use soon if OCC photo department gets one; they got 20D's pretty quick... The D200 I'd have to purchase myself, which might take a few years since my D70 just had it's 40,000 frame anneversary without any sign of letting up...

-Matt-
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited August 19, 2005
    The D2x did take the lead for many, in that it cost less than the Canon 1Ds mkII, yet was faster, just as durable if not more, and far more versatile with the HSC mode. At $5000 as compared to $8000, if it didn't "take the lead" it was at least an old-fashioned slap-in-the-face, definitely. I think that if the new Canon and the New Nikon are both true to the "alleged" specs, things actually will at least be very, very evened out.

However in light of Marlof's account of the pocket PC releases, I think this might be what has happened: Either Canon or Nikon caught word of the other's product, and let "leak" a similar spec sheet to rival / equal the other "leak". Maybe Canon is the one lying about their new camera, and when they caught wind of Nikon's D200 they decided to wow the crowd with with a FF sensor in a compact body. Maybe Nikon is the one lying about their new camera, and when they caught word of Canon's new FF camera, they figured they'd wow the crowd with a "D2x minus the vert grip and 2-3 FPS"...

Like I said though, I'd love to see both of these cameras. I know at least the Canon I might get to use soon if OCC photo department gets one; they got 20D's pretty quick... The D200 I'd have to purchase myself, which might take a few years since my D70 just had it's 40,000 frame anneversary without any sign of letting up...

-Matt-

Ah, marketing :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Ah, marketing :D

Ian
    Sometimes, I wish I lived in the Alaskan Outback, with my old $99 35mm SLR and a lifetime supply of Velvia and Acros. I could get so much more done without worrying about all this internet stuff, and marketing and latest-n-geatest, < sigh... >

I hear ya.

-Matt-