Options

Just a couple of macro shots

HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
edited August 19, 2005 in Holy Macro
I haven't been posting too much lately, been a bit busy. Been shooting more than I have time to process and have a huge backlog.
A brutish fly:
47859571.jpg
Canon EOS 20D ,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
1/200s f/11.0 at 100.0mm iso200 with Flash

I believe this is a Harvester spider, but please let me know if I'm wrong:
47859568.jpg
1/200s f/16.0 at 100.0mm iso200 with Flash

Contrast is a bit high but it worked best with the spider. It was a reddish brown and matched very well with the wood siding on my house. This helped separate the two. Also, still working on my sharpening technique as I know I have a long way to go.

Thanks for looking,
Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Good shots Chris. That harvestman looks as if it's been gold plated rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    Good shots Chris. That harvestman looks as if it's been gold plated rolleyes1.gif
    Hi Brian,
    Yeah, it's not quite natural. The photo was pretty flat, color wise, because of the similarity between the spider and house. The coloration was the result of my tweaking, and lots of it. More artsy than scientific, without really being artsy. If it was gold plated, I would not have let this guy get away as he would have spun gold silk:D.

Thanks for looking,
    Chris

OK, so it is a Harvestman which is not a spider, but is an arachnidheadscratch.gif. I had never seen one of these before and at least I didn't call it a "daddy longlegs".

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 19, 2005
    Hey sweet daddy loglegs...
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    Hey sweet daddy loglegs...
    rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, I wish he hadn't dissapeared. I would've liked to remove him from his environment and put him in mine for a shoot. Of course I'd put him back once I was done.

Thanks for the comment,
    Chris

• Options
    elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Wow! That fly image is great! Boy oh boy...
    ... am I happy for the proportional differences between humans and flies. *Haha*
    I have a rather twisted "Gary Larsonic"-mind and humor, and the pic of the spider made me smile. I dunno what it is, but I see a rather large body, many long legs, but a very small head with angry looking eyes. It got me thinking of something that someone said (dunno who). "I'm glad I wasn't born in the Jurassic! Imagine the times when the animals was larger than buses, but had brains the size of a wallnut." (Something like that!) rolleyes1.gif

Matty
    I haven't been posting too much lately, been a bit busy. Been shooting more than I have time to process and have a huge backlog.
    A brutish fly:
    47859571.jpg
    1/200s f/11.0 at 100.0mm iso200 with Flash

I believe this is a Harvester spider, but please let me know if I'm wrong:
    47859568.jpg
    1/200s f/16.0 at 100.0mm iso200 with Flash

Contrast is a bit high but it worked best with the spider. It was a reddish brown and matched very well with the wood siding on my house. This helped separate the two. Also, still working on my sharpening technique as I know I have a long way to go.

Thanks for looking,
    Chris
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    elfving73 wrote:
    "...Imagine the times when the animals was larger than buses, but had brains the size of a wallnut." (Something like that!) rolleyes1.gif

Matty
    Sounds like some of the people I know. Scarrrry:D

Chris