Mt first post for CC

JaynusJaynus Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited June 2, 2010 in Holy Macro
So...I've been here a little while and whilst I know I'm not anywhere near the standard of most of you (:bow), I thought I'd share a couple of macro pics I took this weekend. CC would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

All taken with my D90 and my Tamron 90mm.

4652820846_cdd1dfe668.jpg

4648669098_1403282ce6.jpg

4648055463_e249c5b1af.jpg
I'm a Nikon girl. :D

Comments

• ElectricDreamsElectricDreams Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2010
    I think your second photo is the best composition out of all of them, I don't know what aperture you were shooting at but the backgrounds distracted me. Other than that, keep working at it will come pretty naturally.
    ELECTRIC DREAMS PHOTOGRAPHY
    By Patrick McPeak

Canon 400D (Rebel XTI)
    18-55 Kit Lens
    75-300 - F/4-5.6 USM
    50mm 1.4

Proud to be a Drexel Dragon.
  • JaynusJaynus Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2010
    Thank you. :) I was shooting at F22 I believe (Yes, I know, but I haven't mastered stacking yet :tiptoe) . Can I ask why the backgrounds distract you?
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Lovely shots with good focus. Agree with above re the background - It's just that bright, in focus background objects tend to distract the eye away from the subject when viewing it.
    Brian v.
    edited May 31, 2010
    Ahh, I see. The second background is OOF though? But yeah, still bright. I guess I need to work on that! Thanks for the tip, I shall make a note of it. :)

And also, I saw on another thread Brian you said it's preferable to crop the image so that the insect is facing inwards? So in that respect, #2 is the best. I'm learning new stuff on here all the time! :D
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Jaynus wrote: »
    Ahh, I see. The second background is OOF though? But yeah, still bright. I guess I need to work on that! Thanks for the tip, I shall make a note of it. :)

And also, I saw on another thread Brian you said it's preferable to crop the image so that the insect is facing inwards? So in that respect, #2 is the best. I'm learning new stuff on here all the time! :D

Yes - try to give bugs more room in the frame in the direction they are looking. Best done when actually shooting/framing the shot than cropping it though.

Brian v.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited June 1, 2010
    good shots, agree #2 the best for composition.
    if you had shot at f6 - f8 the background would be blurred even more to make butterfly stand out
    edited June 2, 2010
    Thanks Phil. :D All this info is absolutely priceless, thanks again guys! :D