Sunrise on Mt. Rainier

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited June 7, 2010 in Landscapes
Today was my first trip back to Rainier since November (shortly before Chinook Pass closed, it just re-opened this weekend).

I impulsively left at midnight (instead of going to bed like a normal person) knowing that there was a good chance that the mountain would be completely covered by fog, but hoping for the best, and hoping to get some moonlit shots before dawn and some alpenglow at sunrise. After waiting in the snow several hours the mountain was still surrounded in fog, and the moon was only intermittently visible.

Then on cue, just after dawn, the fog started lifting, revealing the huge volcano that remained visible until just after sunrise when it was covered in fog again.

During that brief window of time, this happened:

883583150_Ww3bw-XL.jpg

I was riding the high on the entire drive back and a few hours afterward before I collapsed due to lack of sleep :D

Comments

• scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2010
    Nice Ron. Looking forward to getting back to the PNW and back to our elements. thumb.gif
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Magnificent color Ron!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Right place and the right time. But is sounds like you earned this beautiful shot. well done.
  • FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Great shot :photo
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Hi Ron. Reward for effort - well worth the wait - fantastic lighting.

Cheers, Richard.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Now that's some hardcore landscape photography!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    scole wrote: »
    Nice Ron. Looking forward to getting back to the PNW and back to our elements. thumb.gif

Absolutely, can't wait for some of the trails in the mountains to open up.
    ront wrote: »
    Magnificent color Ron!!

Ron

It was quite an amazing sight to see, I was really hoping the conditions would stay that way through sunrise and they did. This vantage point is the best location for alpenglow at sunrise right now, and it definitely delivered. All the snow in the foreground will now be covered with footprints from over the weekend so I got there at the right time.
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Right place and the right time. But is sounds like you earned this beautiful shot. well done.

Thanks Doug, I was just happy to be back on Rainier again, 6 months is too long between visits.
    Great shot :photo

Thanks!
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi Ron. Reward for effort - well worth the wait - fantastic lighting.

Cheers, Richard.

Thanks Richard, I was definitely happy.
    dogwood wrote: »
    Now that's some hardcore landscape photography!

I won't tell you about my 14 hour drive to and from Yosemite last week :D (I was there more than a day though, so not as hardcore as it sounds).
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Gorgeous shot, Ron! thumb.gif

A couple of my favorite shots have come when I didn't think I was going to end up with anything. Nice to see I'm not the only one that gets lucky! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    clap.gif Very nice shot Ron.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Wow ! Glad you escaped because that had to be an erruption taking place eek7.gif Quite the light show thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Excellent!
  • snowman1snowman1 Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    edited June 3, 2010
    Thanks everyone! I'll be checking the forecast for Rainier daily for the next six months, hopefully there will be a few more light shows this year!
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    ouch. i was going to harass you about leaving yosemite before the cloudless moonlit weekend approached, but i don't think i can with this pix. wow. bowdown.gif
    edited June 7, 2010
    dls wrote: »
    ouch. i was going to harass you about leaving yosemite before the cloudless moonlit weekend approached, but i don't think i can with this pix. wow. bowdown.gif

I love Yosemite, but I hate people (look how well I did with "moon boy" when were shooting at Valley View), so I couldn't stand to stay over the Memorial Day weekend, I would have gone insane. But now that it's supposed to flood there and the roads are open I might have to sneak down in June for another moonbow attempt...

At Rainier it was just me and Danny, and the only reason he was there was because I invited him, otherwise I would have had the entire place to myself.

I definitely lucked out. FWIW, forecast for tomorrow (Tuesday) at sunrise at Rainier has potential, but I'm on-call so someone else will have to capture it.