Very specific camera needed. Please help

sandravsandrav Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited May 31, 2010 in Cameras
Hi everyone. I'm new here but been reading the site for awhile.

I'm stuck in a rather particular situation. I've recently started up a website for bikini and figure competitors and ran into a situation.

I go to a show and I am told I am not allowed to use a professional slr to take pics of the ladies. That is reserved for their official photographer. I am allowed to take pics with a compact camera at a distance of say 30-50 feet.

My problem is I don't know which compact cam can achieve to take decent quality pics at that distance and lighting. Maybe I can sneak in a little closer though as I'm small so not noticed easily.

Usually the audience section is lowered lights and the stage with the ladies is lit up by stage lights. The pics are to be used for websites only and not print. If anyone can recommend a compact cam to use in this situation, I would be eternally grateful.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 31, 2010
    What is your background in photography?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    My guess is that anything that would take "decent quality pics at that distance" would be considered a "professional SLR" (whether or not it's actually an SLR) by the people running the show.

It might be worth trying to get in with an Olympus E-PL1 (which is definitely not an SLR) with the longest telephoto lens you can get for it. Don't be surprised if they won't allow it, though.

There are also a handful of compact cameras with really impressive telephoto capabilities, such as the Olympus SP-800 UZ and the Fujifilm FinePix HS10.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif

The MFT cameras like the E-PL1 have effectively twice the focal length of traditional full-frame cameras, and the lenses are quite compact, even a telephoto zoom like this one. At the long end, it has an effective focal length of 400mm.

I just bought an E-PL1 myself and so far am really impressed with the price/IQ/size ratio. It might be just what you need to get into those events.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    might run a search on ebay for a Konica Minolta A2.......it is a compact camera with a 28-200 zoom and it has great quality.
    I have sold several pics taken with that camera...........They are no longer made and sony did not keep it going in their line up.
    I love the one I have and even tho it will not fit in a shirt pocket it can be carried in a coat or jacket pocket.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website