They Can't All Be Beautiful

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited June 2, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
884594445_xnoUs-XL.jpg

884594611_RRTx2-XL.jpg

884594503_ygFb6-XL.jpg

884602898_C8Aw3-XL.jpg

884603043_Hzfvc-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Me thinks Ray Stevens will disagree......Everything is Beautiful.........................in it's own way......................even
    weirdness and those definitely classify as weirdness........

GREAT PIX!!!!!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I'm not quite sure who that might be however :D What's the story on these odd vehicles that you've captured so well?

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Hi Art,

I always appreciate it when you look in. Thanks for the nice comment.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited May 31, 2010
    Yo Jack,

I wish I could enlighten you about that red behemoth. I know it's a one-off custom job but I could never find any poop sheet on it. I'm in the dark on that one.

The other vehicle is most interesting. It's a 1936 Stout Scarab. It was produced....all hand-formed aluminum....from 1934 to 1939. Only 8 or 9 ( there's disagreement as to which number is correct ) were made. Each one was completely custom, so no two are exactly alike. There are 6 of these known to exist.

It was produced by a guy named William Stout....an aircraft designer of some repute. He was responsible to a large degree for the design and production of the Ford Tri-Motor airplane ( Tin Goose ). This car has quite a bit of aircraft design in its genes. It was never intended to be a people hauler per se, but rather seen as a mobile office with a fold-out desk and office chairs.

This Scarab had many unique and trend-setting features. It was one of the very first rear-engined cars. And one of the first to have 4-wheel independent suspension. It supposedly drives exceptionally well. It is powered by a Ford flat-head V-8 engine. This one is in immaculate condition....took about $300,000 in restoration costs to bring it up to this state.

Take care,

Tom
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

Happy Memorial Day!!!!

WOWSER, you do find the Wild Ones don't you.

They are both wild, but I really like that 2nd One, what a
    neat design, I'd like to have a Modern Day One
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Man, I don't know Tom,

I can't quit looking at that first car ~ it's mesmerizing nod.gif

Has some characteristic 1957's designs in there. It looks like the pre-runner to the Jetson's space-car. It also makes me envision an under-water vehicle.

Like I said ~ it's mesmerizing!
    Randy
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Nice!

I wish I could help you on the origin of the red one. The Big Three made some pretty "out there" concept cars, but nothing quite like that. :D
    edited May 31, 2010
    Hey Craig,

Happy Memorial Day to you too.

One of the reasons this Amelia Island show has gained such stature is that the organizers go to such great effort to arrange for some really unusual cars to be there. The founder of this show, Bill Warner, has a real knack for sniffing out these rare and unusual cars and then convincing the owners to bring them for display. This eclectic offering at the Amelia show is central to it's rise to the very top of these prestigious events.

Tom
    edited May 31, 2010
    Yo Randy,

You're pretty clever about it, but I'm very much aware that you're stealing a word from me.:D I thought about how I could charge you for this transgression but I'm sure you have me outgunned ( literally ) so I'm going to back off that idea. Maybe I'll mail you a packet of chiggers.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Yo Randy,

You're pretty clever about it, but I'm very much aware that you're stealing a word from me.:D I thought about how I could charge you for this transgression but I'm sure you have me outgunned ( literally ) so I'm going to back off that idea. Maybe I'll mail you a packet of chiggers.

Take care my friend,

Tom

Ouch... you have a better memory than I bargained for rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    That caddy thing is some over the top. Pretty cool on the outrageous scale.
    And the Scarab is fairly neat in design + innovation.
    Michael
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Yo Jack,

I wish I could enlighten you about that red behemoth. I know it's a one-off custom job but I could never find any poop sheet on it. I'm in the dark on that one.

The other vehicle is most interesting. It's a 1936 Stout Scarab. It was produced....all hand-formed aluminum....from 1934 to 1939. Only 8 or 9 ( there's disagreement as to which number is correct ) were made. Each one was completely custom, so no two are exactly alike. There are 6 of these known to exist.

It was produced by a guy named William Stout....an aircraft designer of some repute. He was responsible to a large degree for the design and production of the Ford Tri-Motor airplane ( Tin Goose ). This car has quite a bit of aircraft design in its genes. It was never intended to be a people hauler per se, but rather seen as a mobile office with a fold-out desk and office chairs.

This Scarab had many unique and trend-setting features. It was one of the very first rear-engined cars. And one of the first to have 4-wheel independent suspension. It supposedly drives exceptionally well. It is powered by a Ford flat-head V-8 engine. This one is in immaculate condition....took about $300,000 in restoration costs to bring it up to this state.

Take care,

Tom

I rather like the looks of the silver car.

You probably do this too, but when I shoot something like these cars I shoot an extra frame of the identifying information so I can know and provide this. Most classic cars on exhibit have a sign somewhere about that provides the identifying information.

On our recent trip north, I also shot some identifier frames of places and things. I won't do anything with these frames, but they help me remember the what and where. For example, I photographed some old rail cars in Kentucky and Indiana, and also did some frames of the name of the town in which they were located and - when available - the specific info on the car.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited May 31, 2010
    Kevin,

Yeah, this red one looks a little wild for one of the " big three " to be its parent. But, I just don't know for sure. If I had to guess, I'd say somebody like George Barris produced this thing.

Thanks for looking in,

Tom
    edited May 31, 2010
    Hey Tony,

Good to hear from you...where've you been hiding lately?

Like you, I always try and find some descriptive placard to shoot that'll tell me about a given car. I couldn't find a thing regarding this red car.

Tom
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Hey Tony,

Good to hear from you...where've you been hiding lately?

Like you, I always try and find some descriptive placard to shoot that'll tell me about a given car. I couldn't find a thing regarding this red car.

Tom

Traveling. Spent nine days traveling by car round-trip from Orlando to French Lick, Indiana to attend a wedding.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • SusanGSusanG Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 1, 2010
    1960 Di Dia 150
    Did a quick search for the car you posted. Here is the info I found.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/events/eventVehicle.aspx?carID=18215&eventID=557&catID=2283
    edited June 1, 2010
    Hi Susan,

Great investigative work!! The info you dug up answers the questions about that car very nicely. I had contacted the organizers of the show, asking that they email me info about the cars that were exhibited. I haven't heard back from them....don't need their input now thanks to you.

Tom
  • fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Me thinks Ray Stevens will disagree......Everything is Beautiful.........................in it's own way......................even
    weirdness and those definitely classify as weirdness........

GREAT PIX!!!!!!!

Great quote, I remember that song.

Anyway, these are awesome pictures.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
    edited June 2, 2010
    Hi Fred,

Thanks for the comment....glad you looked in.

Tom