First HDR tries - C&C Please

Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
edited May 31, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I know this is a hot button topic around here :wink so I'm interested on the replies. HDR is very new to me and I've just given it a go on a couple recent shots. I have a definite appreciation for the technique and end result, just not sure if I'm 100% sold on it.

I sit on the fence between whether or not I like them artsy or just lightly done but have found myself pushing the couple I've tried to the grungy/artsy side of the scale. C&C greatly appreciated on these 3. :thumb

4656821378_537eb7acb4_b.jpg

4656202391_87577134a3_b.jpg

4656203115_22a6c2e145_b.jpg

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Hey Matt,

If HDR holds your interest, just keep refining it until you have the techniques that will produce the end result you desire.

If that's a gentle nudge to an image to help bring out the details, learn how to do that well.

If it's art that you want, your imagination can run wild.

I don't know where my soapbox is right now, so I can't really get on it ~ but, I think a lot of photogs are confused/intimidated by what HDR and Tonemapping can offer. If their preference is a gentle touch, then that's what they should do on their work, but I think it's very short-sided to be in the mindset that HDR should look only one way, (their way), and any other iteration of it is incorrect, or looked down on.

If this line of thinking was still prevalent, we'd all be sailing to the edge of the flat world, then turning around before we fell off.

If you choose the art look, your going to be on an uphill battle here at dgrin. No disrespect directed, it's just that this is a PHOTOGRAPHY board, NOT an ART board.

Nuff said ~ Now, go have some HDR fun thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Thanks Randy. Do you think that those who dislike artsy HDR believe that it's a crutch, used to compensate for poor photography technique or execution? Or, that good HDR (regardless of how artsy) is the composition of technically correct and "good" photography? What is driving the train of people who dislike it other than their unwillingness to accept new ideas and practices?

I don't think you can have "good" HDR without technically "good" photography. I look at each image for that fact and it has completely opened my eyes to HDR and given me an appreciation for it. Do I think it's what every image should look like and that good, old fashioned, unmolested images should turn to? Heck no. But for those who say there's no place for it and all of it is bad, like you so eloquently pointed out, have fun falling off the edge of this flat world!
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    rwells wrote: »
    Hey Matt,

If HDR holds your interest, just keep refining it until you have the techniques that will produce the end result you desire.

If you choose the art look, your going to be on an uphill battle here at dgrin. No disrespect directed, it's just that this is a PHOTOGRAPHY board, NOT an ART board.

Nuff said ~ Now, go have some HDR fun thumb.gif
    Yes, I think Matt did some good HDR here. thumb.gif

But, I think that a number of Mods who post very arty stuff here (like Richard) would take exception to

"this is a PHOTOGRAPHY board, NOT an ART board."

If it is based in photographic imagery it belongs on Digital Grin. Just be sure you put it in the correct sub-forum and that us what Richard and the other Mods are here for, too. To see that things get posted where they belong. Nuf said.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited May 31, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Just be sure you put it in the correct sub-forum and that us what Richard and the other Mods are here for, too. To see that things get posted where they belong. Nuf said.

Don

This is the right spot for HDR, correct? Please move as needed if I'm mistaken. Thanks for your comments Don! thumb.gif
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Nikonic1 wrote: »
    This is the right spot for HDR, correct? Please move as needed if I'm mistaken. Thanks for your comments Don! thumb.gif

Absolutely the correct spot. AFAIK
    :Dthumb.gif
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    not 'nuf
    there is no strict border between art and photography
    photography is art
    HDR is just a tool to enhance photo's , nothing more
    when overdone it becomes art [ or crap ]

in this case
    enhanced photo's [ IMO ]
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Definitely the right spot for HDR. Sometimes, after tonemapping, you may find it worthwhile to take the image into PS to "adjust" one or more of the colors' saturation. I always fiddle around with my images in PS after HDR processing.. Sometimes I change them significantly and sometimes just a bit. For example I tend to like my greens especially in grass and trees a bit less "fluorescent" than they come out of tonemapping in.

BTW These are very well done.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited May 31, 2010
    Thank you guys. Thanks for the nice comments Jack. I definitely haven't found the balance on the greens in the HDR's yet and you're right that they do come out quite fluorescent after tonemapping is applied. But, that's an easy fix in PS or the like.

Thanks again for the comments bowdown.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 31, 2010
    I tend to be fairly loose about what gets posted where. Sometimes I move stuff around, usually because I think it will be better received on a different forum. As I see it, HDR is a technique that can be used in any number of subject areas--landscape, street, people, cars, architecture, whatever. And certainly, here in OCS. deal.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Hi Matt,

As with any PP, HDR has a place in this passion we share. On a personal level, I prefer its use limited to enhancing the dynamic range that exists in the original shot....bringing out the highs or lows as needed. When the application of HDR takes the photo into the " artsy " realm, my enthusiasm for the process begins to wane. But, again, that's just a very personal position.

We are all free to exploit the myriad of tools available to us through current technology. Some folks follow certain paths, others will follow different paths. I don't see it as a case of right or wrong. Fortunately, our forum has the capacity to accommodate all of our different approaches, techniques and aspirations. While I may not personally employ all the different means at our disposal, I do enjoy seeing the expression of visions that others have.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited May 31, 2010
    I don't see it as a case of right or wrong.

Tom

My sentiments exactly. It's just another form of expression and artistry. As is all photography for that matter. I think what is paramount with HDR (or any photography for that matter) is to start with something that is technically correct and work from there. If a given scene, object, etc lends itself to or strikes your eye as a good place to exploit the benefits of HDR then so be it.

To not have an appreciation for the technique is somewhat short sighted IMVHO. No one has to say it's their personal favorite or even like it for that matter, but to say there's no place for it like you often hear is just silly IMO.