Cleaning Supplies? What to get?

98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited June 9, 2010 in Cameras
Hello, I know that this is probably in the wrong section, but I had no idea where it belongs.

My question is what do you use to clean the sensor, and your lenses??

I have a simple eye Glasses Cleaning wipe to clean the end of the lens, and the LCD screen....

I recently photographed a Golf tournament and My lens, Whole camera and View finder got covered in Pollen, I cleaned the lens, and LCD but Getting all of the pollen out of the view finder crevice is giving me a hard time.

any suggestions?

Thanks
Nikon D3000
Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS

Comments

• 98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    no suggestions?
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    copper hill method ...best that I have ever found....seems a little scary at 1st but really is easy and your not cleaning the sensor anyway but a clear filter over the sensor.
    from the above link you can also buy the product kits.....if you cannot figure out which kit to buy then just email them and they will reply forthwith and very quickly :-}}

For lenses I use Zeiss pre wetted lens cloths purchased at most walmart eyecare centers for around $3.........used to buy at SAMS Club by the 1k but let my membership go as I was only purchasing 1 or 2 items from that store and wasn't worth the membership cost.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Q-Tips work for the viewfinder...
    If your camera is one of those fancy weather sealed ones, I would use can air, gently, you dont want pollen inside the camera or lens.
    Most don't recommend pre moistened lens wipe, something about damaging the coating on the lens, use a UV filter to protect the lens and a soft dry lens wipe, if you are going to play in the dirt...HaHa...If Art uses Zeiss lens wipes, you know they must work well..

Sensor cleaning, many good products out there..Luckily i have not needed it yet...scary thought...
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Robin CasadyRobin Casady Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    This may help: The Pixel Sweeper

I haven't read the updated version of the article, but cleaned a D2x sensor several years ago with the author's Sensor Brush Method. Used a brush purchased from the cosmetic section of a drug store. Cleaned the brush and tested it on a filter before using. Worked great.
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    I haven't tried this yet, but my D1h is in serious need of a good cleaning too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRW9AmDPqr0
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010