My pictures are odd sizes, what can I do??

pepper44pepper44 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited August 25, 2005 in Finishing School
This might seem like a dumb question, but I've run into a snag. :scratch I have a ton of pictures on my computer that I've cropped and edited. I want to take them somewhere to be printed, and when looking at a print preview on Snapfish I realized that they are going to be all cut off on the edges because I cropped them to odd sizes. Is there anyway I can easily resize them all so that they fit in a 4x6 or 5x7 area? I just want to get them printed with out having the edges chopped off!!

--Amy

Comments

• Adrian van AmmersAdrian van Ammers Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    You don't wanna know
    pepper44 wrote:
    This might seem like a dumb question, but I've run into a snag. headscratch.gif I have a ton of pictures on my computer that I've cropped and edited. I want to take them somewhere to be printed, and when looking at a print preview on Snapfish I realized that they are going to be all cut off on the edges because I cropped them to odd sizes. Is there anyway I can easily resize them all so that they fit in a 4x6 or 5x7 area? I just want to get them printed with out having the edges chopped off!!

--Amy
    \

but I'm pretty sure you have to make the best of every picture by recropping to your papersize. There is a tool preset - I guess we are talking Adobe ? - where you can choose or make different sizes. Use these in future and for redoing your ton of pictures if you want to do cropping. I hope this helps, don't kill the messager. rolleyes1.gif
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    pepper44 wrote:
    I just want to get them printed with out having the edges chopped off!!

--Amy
    What I've done in the past is to just increase the canvas size in one direction to make it the correct dimensions...

For example... say I've got a 2048x2048 square picture which I've cropped. If I want to make this so I can print it 4x6, add 1024 pixels (512 at each end) to *one* of the dimensions. Sometimes you have to do a little math to make sure the dimensions are correct. 6 in./4 in. = 1.5, 3072 pixels /2048 pixels = 1.5.

In Photoshop (or PS Elements), this is easily done with Image->Canvas Size.

Make sense?

As a side trick, you can make the expanded color whatever you like... this is a quick and dirty way to make a simple frame. Just expand horizontally and vertically by 100-200 pixels or so...
    Chris
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Can't you print via smugmug?
    pepper44 wrote:
    This might seem like a dumb question, but I've run into a snag. headscratch.gif I have a ton of pictures on my computer that I've cropped and edited. I want to take them somewhere to be printed, and when looking at a print preview on Snapfish I realized that they are going to be all cut off on the edges because I cropped them to odd sizes. Is there anyway I can easily resize them all so that they fit in a 4x6 or 5x7 area? I just want to get them printed with out having the edges chopped off!!

--Amy
    They now have "no crop" optoin... so it will just fit inside, leaving some white space...
    Just a thought..headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • pepper44pepper44 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    Thanks for all your all's help!!
    I have a better idea of some things I can do to fix the pictures now. Maybe what I'll end up doing is either changing the canvas size or printing them with my printer (it's an HP printer but it does an amazing job with photo paper, the only thing is they get scratched easily.) I wish I could check out the smugmug thing but I don't have an account right now.

Thanks again!

--Amy
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    Great ideas everyone, I appreciate it too! I have so many I made for the web and uploaded, and now can't print in even small size, as they are either too small in bytes or badly cropped to fit the style of the photo.

And any prints have to be made over for quality size. Of course finding some of them is a PIA, lolol. So now I keep two sizes. Still have the crop problem tho. I'll try the white/color edge to fill. Thanks!
    pepper44 wrote:
    Thanks for all your all's help!!
    I have a better idea of some things I can do to fix the pictures now. Maybe what I'll end up doing is either changing the canvas size or printing them with my printer (it's an HP printer but it does an amazing job with photo paper, the only thing is they get scratched easily.) I wish I could check out the smugmug thing but I don't have an account right now.

Thanks again!

--Amy
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    pepper44 wrote:
    I wish I could check out the smugmug thing but I don't have an account right now.

Thanks again!

--Amy

Amy, if you decide to get a smugmug account, use this coupon code and save $5: CLGbTHzpo7yxc

(I save $10, too, but hey, you gonna sniff at $5?)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • pepper44pepper44 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Amy, if you decide to get a smugmug account, use this coupon code and save $5: CLGbTHzpo7yxc

(I save $10, too, but hey, you gonna sniff at $5?)
    Thanks!! I might get one if the funds are present in my account...
    *runs to look at checkbook*

--Amy
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 25, 2005
    Here are the read-it-and weep choices:

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/cropping.mg

One thing that may help is we have specialty sizes (square, etc.):

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog2.mg