The process of switching...

PrettyKittyPrettyKitty Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited June 7, 2010 in Cameras
I currently shoot with Olympus. I know it’s not a popular choice but it’s served me well. It’s what I’m familiar with. :) But I’m really really wanting to switch over now to Nikon because I really want to go Full Frame. I posted a long time ago about planning out a switch but that was to the D300s. I've decided if I am going to switch, it should be major - by going full frame! :)

So I want your opinions. Here are the facts:

I could probably sell the Oly Gear used for around $3000. It consists of 3 bodies, a wide angle lens, a std zoom, a tele zoom, and 2 prime lenses as well as a flash.

I want the D700 with a std zoom and SB-900 but I’d also love a prime such as the 85 f1.4. I don’t know a lot about other Nikon lenses so if there’s a MUST HAVE lens for the full frame system, I’d love to hear about that too!

I’m a little nervous about going down to only one body so a part of me is strongly considering keeping 1 cheap oly body and the std. zoom for “backup” conditions!

So which way should I go about this? Should I:

A) Wait until I have enough money to buy the D700, std. zoom, prime lens, and flash outright and then consider selling off my Oly gear. The money from the oly gear can then be spent on a backup Nikon body. This option will probably take me about a year or two (depending on how much work I do between now and then!)

B) Sell off part of my seldomly used Oly Gear and then save enough to fund the D700 and just a std. zoom (leave the flash and prime lenses for later) This means keeping 2 Oly bodies, std zoom, prime, and flash. I’d sell off a wide angle lens and one body. This would be doable in 6-9 months if I'm really strict with my budget. That way I can keep shooting as usual while I learn the D700 and save up to complete the kit.

C) Sell off everything now which would get me into the D700 and a std zoom (although not the best quality lens) but I’d be down to one body and no flash! So probably not a viable option. :)

The other thing to note is I’m not a full time photographer. It’s a hobby/side job. I am shooting a wedding in June (so I won’t change gear before then for sure!) and I do family portraits and such. I’m just beginning this as a way to make money. In the past I’ve only photographed family and friends but by word of mouth I’m getting a lot of requests! If I want to try to shadow a wedding photographer or become a part-time assistant, they would prefer I shoot canon or Nikon so it just seems like now is a good time to switch! I don’t want to do a LOT of weddings, as I prefer doing portraits and taking pictures of kids and pets. But I’m game to try anything for now! It’s all fun! But I don't feel the need to have TWO Nikon bodies right now.

So what do you think - what would you do???

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    save up for d700, standard zoom (24-70mm), and sb900. this is a approximately $4500 commitment new. $4k without the flash since the d700 can take pictures in the dark1
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 1, 2010
    What is about the Olympus cameras that you are hoping to improve upon and what is it about the Nikon D700 that is enticing you?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    First off let me commend you by making the right nikon choice :D

Second, um... have you thought about a D90 and nicer glass? The D90 is pretty nice if I do say so m'self (granted if I was a real pro or getting paid the big bucks, I'd be pimpin' a d700 or a d3 m'self lol)

EDIT: No strikeout?

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010

So what do you think - what would you do???

?Me. I'd buy a Body, add glass, then sell off two older bodies and some glass, then start adding pieces to make my New FX body Shine.

You do not have much choice. You say it's a Hobby, but the fact that you're shooting regularly/irregular means you just cannot tell when you'll need what. Perhaps you can do with one body just long enough to get the D700 and a nice prime to go with it, then add other glass or a flash. Keeping a 2nd body as back-up is smart and until you get so much business that you need another D700, you might as well keep the Oly stuff ...it has served you well, yes?
    tom wise
  • PrettyKittyPrettyKitty Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    First off let me commend you by making the right nikon choice :D

Second, um... have you thought about a D90 and nicer glass? The D90 is pretty nice if I do say so m'self (granted if I was a real pro or getting paid the big bucks, I'd be pimpin' a d700 or a d3 m'self lol)

EDIT: No strikeout?

I thought about the D90 when it came out, but decided to stick with Olympus at the time, since I already had so much nice Oly glass. :) I got the E-30 and love it! Most of the time... lol....

I am holding out until I can afford the D700 because I really want full frame - so I can get those lovely shallow DoF shots that just aren't quite as easy in the cropped format. I also love that the D700 can nearly take pictures in the dark. :) Oly isn't known for working well at high ISO's. I know the D90 does better than my E-30 in that regard, but if i'm gonna switch, I wanna do it right! :)

So far it sounds like I might wait until I have at least $4k to buy the new body and a lens, then sell SOME oly gear to fund more nikon glass, etc.
  • Robin CasadyRobin Casady Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    If you wait six months, there will probably be a new version of the D700 available. Downside is that it will probably have a street price of $3,000-$3,500. This is all speculation on my part, based on rumor and past experience. Right now you can get a D700 for about $2,400.

I just moved from a D2x (selling it soon) to a D700. Upgraded my mid-range zoom from the AF 35-70 f/2.8 D to the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED. Also have the Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D AF-S, and Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8D VR G-AFS ED-IF. IMO, the glass is as important as the body. If you go for the D700, you want the 24-70. Don't go for a medium quality zoom. Not much point in getting a D700 with a less than stellar lens.

The claim to fame with the 24-70 is that it is sharp corner to corner at f/2.8. My own tests show that this is true, but it gets a little sharper at f/4, and sharper still at f/5.6. My old 35-70 (a legendary lens in its time) is at least as sharp (perhaps even a hair sharper) at f/5.6, but starts losing more in the corners at wide open. So, for those who love out-of-focus backgrounds, the 24-70 is an excellent lens. It is also better than the 35-70 with flare and ghosting when shooting into the light.

If you are like me, when you start shooting with the D700, you wont be interested in shooting with your Olys. If you can't afford to buy the D700 and a $1,750 on a lens, you might consider getting the D700 with the 85mm, and save up for the 24-70.
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    FWIW this article says a pro who is switching from Canon to Nikon was told by Nikon reps there will not be a D700 replacement this year http://nikonrumors.com/2010/06/04/canon-pro-photographer-who-is-switching-to-nikon-was-told-no-d700-replacement-in-2010.aspx
  • Aerialfilm1Aerialfilm1 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    I started on Oly back in the late 70's and still have most all my gear. I really wanted to like the Oly digital stuff but the menu philosophy just didn't speak to me. I got to handle the high end stuff at the US Open in Flushing NY and it was tempting. I'm starting my re-entry into photography and wanted a system that's still relevant and I could get advice from a broad array of users, so I went with used Nikon.

Good luck with your decision.