DNG file question

TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
edited June 3, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I was curious. I've been asked to submit files in DNG format, which I've done. The problem is that I only know how to save as a DNG file in the RAW converter. Is there a way I can do this in ps (I have cs 4) after editing in the raw converter and pulling into cs4, editing and then saving as a DNG file?
More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
Jason Hummel photography on:
FACEBOOK

Comments

• NjordanNjordan Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Personally, I would question why the client wants DNG files. That gives way too much editing ability to the client. Not to mention what is essentially the original file. That may be just fine in your situation though.

I know that doesn't answer your question, and I'm sorry, I'm not at a machine to try to figure it out.
  • rantomirantomi Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    DNG is just a way to save cameras native raw-file with a set of metadata that defines how the data of the raw-file is interpreted. After you have converted the RAW-file to bitmap (which is normally done in between the raw converter and PS) the file is not in a raw (or digital negative) format anymore and the DNG-file is not relevant anymore. Thus I am afraid there is no way to do that. Not 100% sure though.

The client, assuming that the client knew what he was asking, generally just wanted the raw-file but asked it in .dng format just in case. Of course you can have the developing settings embedded also in the DNG-file but editing in photoshop means that you are editing a bitmap.

Wikipedia - typical raw image format file contents

Hope I got the question right and didn't sound too technical nerdish-boasting!
    Lauri Mäki
    Gallery
    Blag
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Certainly not. That was awesome. I appreciate the answer.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK