D700 now or wait????

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited June 28, 2010 in Cameras
So I wake up this morning, go through my usual routine of showering, getting dress, brew my java and then sit down at the puter for a quick check of things before I'm off to work. By this time, my wife who is an early bird has gone through all her routine and is downstairs making breakfast.

So after I peruse the interwebs I go downstairs. My wife asks "So did you see the Amazon.com page I left open". I say I didn't, that I just opened another window figuring it was something she was looking at. So she suggests I go look. I immediately go upstairs and open the window. To my surprise, it's our shopping cart and it has the D700 sitting there.

I go downstairs and ask what I'm supposed to make of it and she says that she knows I've been wanting to upgrade my D300 and she has been watching it for a while. She says the price has come down a little bit but they have 12 months no interest right now so it may be worth getting since it's same as cash. :barb

SO... in a nut shell, I have an opportunity to upgrade to the D700 but I'm not sure if I should wait. I'm upgrading because I want full frame. Video would be nice but not critical. My wife is the videographer when we go on vaca so my main concern is stills. Another thing is that I don't know if I would be willing to pay more for a body than what the D700 is selling for now. So even if a new version came out, I'd probably wait till the street price came down and by that time, the rumor mill starts up again and I'm in the same boat.

So confused... please help nudge me in one direction or the other. :scratch
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 2, 2010
    Is the D700 a wish or a need?

How would it affect your photography?

Would it affect any use of your current lenses? (DX lenses mostly.)

How would you feel if a D800 was released 1 week after the purchase of the D700?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    How do you feel about the fact that the D700 has the same 12 MP as your D300, just in a larger format? To me, that's the one major downside of the D700. If they would just come out with a D700x with 18 MP or so, I'd be very interested. With my 5D Mark II, I occasionally find it useful to be able to crop significantly and still have a 10+ MP image.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Ziggy...

It's definitely a want. I am not a pro so I don't even need my D300. But I've been wanting to go full frame for a long time now. I upgraded my lenses to FF to prepare for it. I'm hoping it will improve my photography, especially in situations where I need higher ISO performance. I guess if a D800 came out a week later, I would be a little bumbed out but not much. I into tech stuff so I understand that there is always a later and greater model on the horizon and you'll be in a perpetual state of wait if you're always waiting to get the latest and greatest.

My Smug Site
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    I think your missing the real point here...

Your wife was doing something nice FOR YOU. If you stumble here (sighting technical this and that), she might learn not to bother in the future.

Advise you didn't ask for: Get the D700 (great camera BTW) and both of you will be happy thumb.gif

Strike while the iron's HOT!!!
    Randy
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Randy,

You make a great point. This is such a nice jesture she is doing. I don't think I will regret getting it.

My Smug Site
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    rwells wrote: »
    I think your missing the real point here...

Your wife was doing something nice FOR YOU. If you stumble here (sighting technical this and that), she might learn not to bother in the future.

Advise you didn't ask for: Get the D700 (great camera BTW) and both of you will be happy thumb.gif

Strike while the iron's HOT!!!

Sage Advice!
    tom wise
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    We know a lot of people sitting on this fence right now; not sure if a D700 replacement is imminent or not. It would seem that it is but there have been no signs really other than sightings of the D800 text on boxes. Our position is even if a new D700 comes out tomorrow the D700 is still a fantastic camera. If you have the funds and can swing it, go for it.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    haha..randy nailed it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    There will always be something new that comes out. If you can justify getting it and have the opportunity to do so, hit the check out button...
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 2, 2010
    Ziggy...

It's definitely a want. I am not a pro so I don't even need my D300. But I've been wanting to go full frame for a long time now. I upgraded my lenses to FF to prepare for it. I'm hoping it will improve my photography, especially in situations where I need higher ISO performance. I guess if a D800 came out a week later, I would be a little bumbed out but not much. I into tech stuff so I understand that there is always a later and greater model on the horizon and you'll be in a perpetual state of wait if you're always waiting to get the latest and greatest.

It sounds like you have reasonable expectations so I say "do it". thumb.gif

Randy's right in his observations. Just remember to reciprocate the gesture when the opportunity avails itself.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited June 2, 2010
    You mean her waking up next to me every morning is not enough?

My Smug Site
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    I can see it now....................Two days after you get the camera and are showing her the great photos.....she is all smiles.....................

Then she says OH Honey.....now that you have that great new camera you could get some wonderful photos on that cruse I have been wanting us to go on. :D

Sam
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    craig_d wrote: »
    How do you feel about the fact that the D700 has the same 12 MP as your D300, just in a larger format? To me, that's the one major downside of the D700. If they would just come out with a D700x with 18 MP or so, I'd be very interested. With my 5D Mark II, I occasionally find it useful to be able to crop significantly and still have a 10+ MP image.

it is the same MP but those are larger pixels which gives the D700 greater resolution and flexability.

A. Cuban......as Randy said.....Get the D700...........wife will look on this as a victory on her part of being able to help with photo decisions and it will impress on her that you TRUST her judgment on these matters............Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    I hope your D700 is on the way by now?
    I hope you took Randies advice, lol. Your wife knows her cams!

The D700 is an awesome camera, megapixels is a sales gimic any way I wouldn't worry unless your are printing larger than most peoples walls IMO. There is software that can fix enlargements anyway. Like Art Scott said your are getting, resolution, and also dynamic range & supreme Hi ISO performance. See what Ken Rockwell says, he's has been dead on in my experience.
    Nikon camera ranking according to Ken Rockwell and I can vouch for Nikons D40's thru D90 comparison (This means there is no significant difference in pictures on models in between)
    D3000-->D5000-->D700 notice the jump from D5000 to D700, I'd like to test that.
  • Robin CasadyRobin Casady Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    I went through this process a month ago. My D2x suddenly had a major electronic malfunction...

I was aware that a new model maybe announced in July. Rumors seem to indicate that video would be the biggest part of the new features. The D700 was $2,400. A new model would likely be $3,000 or more, and unavailable for months after the announcement.

The main shortcoming (for me) with the D2x was dynamic range. The D700 was very appealing for this reason.

I may have a little model envy if there is a new model announced in July if it has a D3x sensor and IQ for $2,500, but I doubt that is likely.

I'm loving the D700.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Do it! Your wife has.. plans with the purchase of the D700!

Even if the D800/D700x comes out, the D700 is still a sick camera!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    craig_d wrote: »

It has the same 12mp size, but the difference between the two sensors is night and day if you need high ISO, low light performance.

To the OP, get the D700 now. If you would not buy a new update until it got to the current price of the D700, it is a no brainer. Rumors, taken for what it is worth, do not have a D700 replacement this year anyway. Possibly early 2011.
  • dahn8dahn8 Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    Like everybody else says, Randy's right on :)

The D700 is a fantastic camera and even if they release an upgrade tomorrow, I'll still be happy with my D700 :) And don't worry about the megapixels (or lack thereof)... it's kind of a marketing gimmick nowadays anyways.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    The way Nikon does things anyway, they could announce a D700 replacement tomorrow, and you won't be able to find it in any stores for a year anyway, so I figure you have 2 yrs or so before you wish you had waited. Buy away, its an awesome camera.
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    sweet! go for it - the D700 is awesome - I'm currently in limbo too - but going from a D80 - rented D700 for some photo work - and i guess if push comes to shove i'll buy one before the new one is out

but ideally i'd love to have the new one - but i'm having to pony up the $$ myself - big difference here heehe

good luck! :D
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    So have you got it yet?
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    It's a modern classic.
  • kevinpwkevinpw Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    if you don't want that D700, I'll take it :)