Alisha - Local Musician

Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
edited June 3, 2010 in People
First off, I think after receiving my 5D MKII back from Canon, the micro adjust settings got reset with everything else and now I'm back to front focusing again. Her face is a bit soft, which I was focusing on, but the foreground is sharp.

I had a friend of mine acting as an assistant and standing in the water to the left with a Canon 580EX II on a light stand with a shoot through umbrella.

I originally though that the location had hard ground and sand, but after coming down off the bridge, we find out it's nothing but semi not completely soft mud and grass. The four of us that were in on this ended up walking up the stream almost a 1/4 mile to the rocks and that was a stretch in itself. the girl assisting in the water was in water up to a bit above mid calf and under the water was mud that did nothing but suck you in. It was definitely ideal conditions, so once she was positioned with the light stand, I couldn't get her to move much farther. This really impacted the shoot because the umbrella is directly out of the right of the frame, which meant that I couldn't get the empty space in that direction like I wanted.

This is probably the best I came up with.

The girl on the rock is a local musician. I've been trying to gear my portrait portfolio to musicians as that's the industry I'm trying to get into. There wasn't a lot of direction here and the glare kind of shows off the personality of her music. She has a rough bluesy voice and style of play, so that was the idea behind be not telling her to sit pretty and smile.

I do think the best thing about shooting at 7:30 in the evening is the amazingly warm natural color you get from a sun starting to set directly behind you.

Well, that's all the excuses I can make for now. Have at it.

4661925366_efb87050f1_b.jpg
On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    the lighting and compositions are nice through I think you could use a crop. I wish you had shot with a more open aperture to isolate the subject more..the bg is bit distracting. The processing is a bit flat though.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    the lighting and compositions are nice through I think you could use a crop. I wish you had shot with a more open aperture to isolate the subject more..the bg is bit distracting. The processing is a bit flat though.

The brightness from the sun prevented that.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    The brightness from the sun prevented that.

ND filter or CPL!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Also, I'd clone out the glare spot on the guitar.

The entire image seems a bit underexposed to me. The composition is also not very interesting. With her directly in the center, the portrait looks very static and boring.