Options

Nighttime Aerials

Aerialfilm1Aerialfilm1 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited June 8, 2010 in Technique
Howdy everyone
New over here and have a favor to do this weekend. My career is aerial television and feature production with stabilized systems. Don't let the film part of my screen name fool you, digital still imagery is still just a hobby.

I'm just getting back into serious photography after never being as satisfied like I was with my OM1 and prime lenses. Over the years I've tried, but the more technology I had the more I was overwhelmed and my results never met my passion. This year I found my sight again and am having a rebirth of creativity. I've been fortunate to have shoot with canon, nikon, leica and hassys over the years and really only enjoyed the nikon and blads. I did try Canon's early D30 and just didn't enjoy it. Much love for Canon glass, but the bodies and menu philosophy just don't speak to me. The only Nikon I owned was the N90s and loved it. So my dive back into a DSLR led me to a D2x and 35-70 2.8. I am so happy with this choice and am again making images and reviving my soul.

Now my question for you experienced D2x users is this. I'm shooting a television show this Saturday in NYC. Yankee Stadium is the venue, but I'll also be up Friday night to roll tape on the city. Production has asked me if I could also shoot some stills. I've agreed and have no problem over the venue. However, I'm not sure how to set up the D2x for other shots where it will only be the usual ambient light of the city. I was aware of the D2x's low light short comings when I bought it, but how can I get the best from it without going into the ugly zone? I'm still new to the hi-iso setting and not sure if I even need to go there. Even though I'm doing this as a favor, I want to turn in the best I can.

What sayeth the great Nikon minds of dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited June 3, 2010
    Are you shooting images which you intend to roll into the video production or are the still images for documentation of the shoot or ... just what is the purpose for the stills?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 3, 2010
    My first thought is to use a tripod, and a longer exposure, rather than a higher ISO is your subjects are not moving, and I get the feeling that is the case, although I do not fully understand what you are wanting to capture exactly either.

Tell us some more about the types of images you are wanting to capture.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Are you shooting images which you intend to roll into the video production or are the still images for documentation of the shoot or ... just what is the purpose for the stills?

Basically I had two jobs at once that has noting to do with each other. I was seeking advice on low light shooting with a new-to-me D2x fully aware that the D2x traditionally sucks as a low light camera. My hope was someone who knew how to exploit the D2x beyond it's short comings would have had a suggestion.

flying this

887811759_CMMgC-M.jpg

simultaneously operating this

893345383_FzNB2-M.jpg

to get this
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 7, 2010
    Have your employer get you a D3 and some fast glass, and be done with it, rather than struggling with a D2x maybe??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Have your employer get you a D3 and some fast glass, and be done with it, rather than struggling with a D2x maybe??

I'm freelance broadcast. No free gear in my world and don't make a living with still cameras. It was just a favor since I was already up there.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited June 7, 2010
    It looks like you shot wide open at f2.8 (great choice), 1/80th and ISO 1600. I think that's about the best you could do under the circumstances. Did you have to make many exposures to get one without shake?

Nice ride BTW. Is this some of your's:

http://www.aerialfilmwork.com/reels/lynxfilm.mov
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    the last thing is if you could get a VR (vibration reduction)type lens and set it to active mode. This will help with the shaking.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com