Railroad Bridge

Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited July 11, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Looking for some thoughts on this one

888057883_wsfEp-L.jpg

This Photo is from my "Buildings - Structures - Architecture" gallery
Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking

Comments

• Travism82Travism82 Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    I think it's a neat shot. I hope you had a getaway plan in case a train came :)
    Equipment: Canon 40D and Powershot SD750. Lenses: 18-55mm, 28-135mm and 70-300mm.

Smugmug Account: http://travism.smugmug.com
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    I'd love to see that at sunset or sunrise! There's a lot of sky coming through the top and sides.

Cool bridge!
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Exactly correct zone. Nice seeing it work. :D What it lacks you make
    up in spades for effort.
    Michael
  • vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Interesting shot, especially in the larger version on your web site. What about a conversion to black & white?

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    thanks for the replies everyone

vintagemxr, the shot really loses a lot of it's impact in B&W
    Scooba Steve

Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Thwack wrote: »
    I'd love to see that at sunset or sunrise! There's a lot of sky coming through the top and sides.

Cool bridge!
    +10000000.

The eye is drawn. The bridge is super interesting.
    BUT
    The sky is ultra boring. :cry

Something tells me the colors of the trees and bridge would be amazingly complimented by the colors of the sky. thumb.gif

It's still a great picture though. (better than I could have done!)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    go B&W
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 9, 2010
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    go B&W
    I agree with Gary on this particular shot, but I think you would do better by re-shooting with sunrise/sunset colors.
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    That's a great shot. Although people will probably want to stone me for saying... but.... that shot would look awesome in HDR! mwink.gif Really a cool shot though!
    edited July 10, 2010
    That's a great shot. Although people will probably want to stone me for saying... but.... that shot would look awesome in HDR! mwink.gif Really a cool shot though!

You are not the first to suggest this, I'm not a fan of HDR but I'm sure this photo has the elements for a striking HDR
    Scooba Steve

• HaveCameraWillTravelHaveCameraWillTravel Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    Sky on bridge shot
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    +10000000.

The eye is drawn. The bridge is super interesting.
    BUT
    The sky is ultra boring. :cry

Something tells me the colors of the trees and bridge would be amazingly complimented by the colors of the sky. thumb.gif

It's still a great picture though. (better than I could have done!)

True, we have here "the white sky of death".:uhoh And while the sky is sterile and overexposed, it does have one thing going for it - it delineates the form of the girders on the bridge and makes them jump out of the picture. His shot has a nice DOF and the track curves to the end of the span right at a power point.
    thumb.gif
  • HaveCameraWillTravelHaveCameraWillTravel Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    Looking for some thoughts on this one

888057883_wsfEp-L.jpg

This Photo is from my "Buildings - Structures - Architecture" gallery

As I said on a reply to a reply to your picture, the composition is excellent - you have the track as a natural lead-in to the main subject (the end of the span), and it's at a "power point". As for the sky, it does look stark, but delineates the girders well. Usually the lighting is harshest in the midday sun, and photographers tend to avoid it. It requires huge dynamic range to keep the sky blue, while at the same time not losing shadow detail on the bridge. You have obviously exposed for the bridge, which comes out clean. I probably would have avoided this lighting, and come back at dawn or dusk, or underexposed the shot by 2 stops and pushed the shadows up in post-processing. I don't know if you shoot RAW or JPEG, but even with JPEG you can get away with a two-stop push (except for "fine art" that is going to be scrutinized down to the pixel).

I think you could turn a good shot into an even better one by shooting at sunset, where the light is warmer and brings out the rust tones in the girders, and casts long shadows across the tracks. A sunset on a humid day would tint the sky a bright pinkish-orange and add interest there. But, there could be a problem if the trees are in shadow as a result, since they would not provide much contrast to the girders - unless, of course, they are well-lit.

Another poster made a comment about doing the shot in HDR. I agree: even better at sunset, because then you could retain some green in the trees in the background. Hope I was helpful.
    edited July 11, 2010
    Thanks for the input, time of day wasn't an option... I was passing through the area and saw the bridge, by sunset I was back home 50 miles away.
    Scooba Steve