Options

How to fix this shot of Absolut bottle

babygodzillababygodzilla Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
edited June 4, 2010 in Technique
So today I made my own home-made studio using materials from the local art shop. I think it turned out OK. I chose an Absolut bottle as my subject. I made a diffuser using a sheet of Vellum paper, and reflectors using white foam paper. I only have 1 off-camera flash. wish I could have more, but since my D5000 doesn't have a commander built in, I can't do much without shelling out for another flash unit or an SU-800.

My setup:

888391989_tsHuW-L.jpg

Result:

888390109_dEDut-L.jpg

Couple of things I would like to fix:

1. The Absolut bottle has a logo of a bearded man on it. In my shot, that logo is almost completely black. How do I illuminate it a little bit? I know the real answer is probably to have another flash that is positioned directly above the bottle through a diffuser, but again I don't have any more flash units. would it help if I place another white foam above the bottle? If so, I'll need to buy one tomorrow.

2. The background is fine with me, except that there is a horizon line right there because the background is made of 2 separate white foam sheets. Where can I get cheap seamless background?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 3, 2010
    I think the easiest solution to your logo issue is to use a tripod and take two shots, one exposed as you did, the other exposed for the logo. Then combine them in Photoshop. thumb.gif
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Alright, the answer to your second question is... don't use foam core. Use poster board. I'm not joking. I do it all the time for shots like this. I'll use a piece of poster board and bounce my flash off of my ceiling and run my flash in manual so I can bump the power and achieve high key with soft light. I hope that helps. :D

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    Alright, the answer to your second question is... don't use foam core. Use poster board. I'm not joking. I do it all the time for shots like this. I'll use a piece of poster board and bounce my flash off of my ceiling and run my flash in manual so I can bump the power and achieve high key with soft light. I hope that helps. :D
    hey thanks. im not sure i understand. how does using poster board erase horizon lines?
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    I think the easiest solution to your logo issue is to use a tripod and take two shots, one exposed as you did, the other exposed for the logo. Then combine them in Photoshop. thumb.gif

hmmmm id rather not do that. i wanna know how to setup the lighting correctly.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Alright, the answer to your second question is... don't use foam core. Use poster board.

Not sure, but maybe r3t1 means to set it up like a piece of seamless background so it forms both bg and base? There's no line that way.

Otherwise, you can get the best lighting possible for the bottle, and then use the clone tool in PS (or your processing software of choice) to clean up the bg......... It's a bit meticulous, but it can be quite easily done.
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Why not invest in (or make) a Light Tent?

google "light tent" for ideas on how to make your own: here are some examples of my stuff using a very simple 24" x 24" x 24" light-tent and 4 clip lights plus CF daylight lamps bought from Home Depot.

HTH -

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2010
    hey thanks. im not sure i understand. how does using poster board erase horizon lines?

Think of the poster board (not the hard cardboard type, the flimsy paper type) as your "floor" and "backdrop". thumb.gif

• Options
    edited June 3, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Not sure, but maybe r3t1 means to set it up like a piece of seamless background so it forms both bg and base? There's no line that way.

Otherwise, you can get the best lighting possible for the bottle, and then use the clone tool in PS (or your processing software of choice) to clean up the bg......... It's a bit meticulous, but it can be quite easily done.
    ^^ That's it exactly

• Options
    edited June 3, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Why not invest in (or make) a Light Tent?

google "light tent" for ideas on how to make your own: here are some examples of my stuff using a very simple 24" x 24" x 24" light-tent and 4 clip lights plus CF daylight lamps bought from Home Depot.

HTH -

- Wil

THANKS! I think this is what I need! Where is the best place to buy a light tent? ill try to make one of my own for now, then buy one if needed.
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    THANKS! I think this is what I need! Where is the best place to buy a light tent? ill try to make one of my own for now, then buy one if needed.

Check with google "light tent" - I think the one I bought was made by ALZO (I'm on the road at the moment, so can't get at mine, but I'm sure there are others also). Also there have been other threads on Digital Grin about making/using light tents.

Good Luck!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    When I've shot clear glass before I always had much better results when using a black background, rather than a white one. However, your clear glass also happens to have black lettering on it. Still, it might be worth a shot to try.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    I agree that the background color choice is a hard thing to determine, it depends on the printing on the glass and the feel you are going for. You might also want to try a bottle of Chopin instead ;)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2010
    I'm back! I took Wil Davis' advice and made my own ghetto light box (tent, whatever)! Thanks Wil! I followed instructions here: http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent

New lightbox:

889416222_J4bsD-M.jpg
    889417735_A3Q7C-M.jpg

New results:

889409951_2wZLp-M.jpg

889571045_5snf4-M.jpg

889415396_QEGkP-M.jpg

I'm quite happy with the first result pic. The bearded man logo is now well-lit! in fact, i had to fix it a little bit in LR because the bearded man was a little overexposed, but it was past midnight and I was tired so I decided to just fix it in LR instead of taking another shot.
  • Options
    SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Much better.
    You can easily fix the logo in your original shot as well. The background is a bit tougher, but the logo is really easy.
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2010
    SLRdude wrote: »
    Much better.
    You can easily fix the logo in your original shot as well. The background is a bit tougher, but the logo is really easy.

yea thats true, but this way i actually lit the logo and not artificially give it exposure :)
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010

2. The background is fine with me, except that there is a horizon line right there because the background is made of 2 separate white foam sheets. Where can I get cheap seamless background?

Thanks a lot!

G0odwill, Salvation Army or dollar store....use a white sheet......or go to a fabric store and get a couple of yards of fabric.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 4, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    G0odwill, Salvation Army or dollar store....use a white sheet......or go to a fabric store and get a couple of yards of fabric.......

thanks. ive already done that. check the latest posts :).