a softer girl

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited August 20, 2005 in People
i guess when u use f/1.8 your gonna get a softer kind of image even at a shutter speed of 1/800 ( ISO 100 )..... well so be it and i like it.....

umm if my thinking is off please tell me :scratch

troy

32649609-L.jpg

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 18, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    i guess when u use f/1.8 your gonna get a softer kind of image even at a shutter speed of 1/800 ( ISO 100 )..... well so be it and i like it.....

umm if my thinking is off please tell me headscratch.gif

troy

32649609-S.jpg

Troy, how did you focus for this image? Did you use one AF point or all of them? I think the real plane of focus for this image is the hairline immediately infront of her left ear - the hair there is very sharp. Shooting at f1.8 should be nice and sharp at the plane of focus. Was this the 50mm or 85mm lens?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    this stuff about "planes" leaves me with a feeling of "jet lag", this said i believe i did focus kinda where u suggest i did. would that make such a difference?? i used the 85 mm f1.8......
    i try always to use center AF, if i dont all the red boxes give me a headache...
    should i risk the headache???
    suggestions greatly appreciated!!!
    in this image where would u have focused????

troy

pathfinder wrote:
    Troy, how did you focus for this image? Did you use one AF point or all of them? I think the real plane of focus for this image is the hairline immediately infront of her left ear - the hair there is very sharp. Shooting at f1.8 should be nice and sharp at the plane of focus. Was this the 50mm or 85mm lens?
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    in this image where would u have focused????

troy

The eyes. :)
    edited August 18, 2005
    now wait a minute, if i focused on the eye ( The one on the same side of the visible ear ) would not the other eye be out of focus becuase it wouldnt be in the same "plane" and then the side of her head would look oof, thats why i decided to focus on her other eye.... i think... \how do u remember where u focused when u take many shots ....

troy
    Owen wrote:
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 19, 2005
    Owen wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif And it does look like her right eye ( to the viewer's left ) is sharper than the left eye - I would have focused on her left eye as it is closer and larger for the viewer. I might also have tried a shot at f2.8 for more DOF.

I just looked at a book about wedding shots, many in B&W shot at f1.2 Now you understand how shallow the DOF is at f1.8. Focus really does become critical. It is fotos like this that Canon suggests against using the center AF point and recompose. It willl be more accurate focusing at this distance by using the single appropriate AF point. Try pressing the AF selection button and rotating the selection wheel ( right behind the shutter I think) and see what happens. :):

It is a geat shot as is Troy. But if you really WANT sharper, I think these suggestions may be helpful. The 85 f1.8 is a great lens isn't it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • debtoinedebtoine Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    I agree, at f/1.8 you shouldn't focus and recompose, as you can change the distance to the point you focussed on. Since the DOF is so shallow, the object you focussed on will be out of focus, and some other, random area/object will be IN focus.

Toine
  • NicoleNicole Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Thank you Troy for bringing up this topic, and Pathfinder for your solution. I have been having focus issues lately and now I think I know why. I always use the center autofocus. I can't wait to try again. Of course it doesn't help when your subjects are constantly moving. I haven't posted for a long time. I am going to try and end my lurking and start posting. Thanks again . thumb.gif

Nicole
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    debtoine wrote:
    I agree, at f/1.8 you shouldn't focus and recompose, as you can change the distance to the point you focussed on. Since the DOF is so shallow, the object you focussed on will be out of focus, and some other, random area/object will be IN focus.

Toine
    If the camera is on "one shot", and you focus, hold the shutter button half way down and recompose, the focus remains on the original spot.

That is my experience, and it is the main problem I have with al servo. I am used to focus and recompose working like a charm. It does in "one shot". I sometimes go back to that setting just to focus and recompose. In al servo the focus keeps changing. I have just started using that setting because of the birds, and that may be part of my problem.:D

I don't understand your saying that it wouldn't work???

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • debtoinedebtoine Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    If the camera is on "one shot", and you focus, hold the shutter button half way down and recompose, the focus remains on the original spot.

That is my experience, and it is the main problem I have with al servo. I am used to focus and recompose working like a charm. It does in "one shot". I sometimes go back to that setting just to focus and recompose. In al servo the focus keeps changing. I have just started using that setting because of the birds, and that may be part of my problem.:D

I don't understand your saying that it wouldn't work???

ginger
    If you half-press, it focuses at the "active" focal point (let's say the center one). What does that mean? It sets the focal distance to however far that object is from the lens. When you then move the camera to recompose, and then full-press, the lens will have everything at the focal distance +/- DOF in focus. Problem with f/1.8 is that the DOF can sometimes be less than an inch. So, as you move the camera to recompose, you could accidentily move the camera off the focal plane. When you do that, something else will be in focus.

Quick Example:

50mm lens, at f/2. You focus on someone's eye that is 4ft way. The DOF for this combination is between 3'11" and 4'1'" Your entire DOF is 2". If, in recomposing you move 1" closer/further away to/from the eye, then it will be at the edge of the DOF. You can move further away/closer by changing the angle at which you take the picture.

Let's say you start head on, 4ft away. You then move 3ft to the right, but pivot the camera, back towards the eye. Now the distance to the eye is 5ft.

However, if you move 3ft to the right, but leave the camera at the same plane it was when you focussed, the eye would still be in focus.

If you want me to elaborate, I'll gladly do so!

Toine
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited August 19, 2005
    Troy,

I have been experimenting with a new technique that I am developing. What do you think of this?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 19, 2005
    i dont like it, i absolutely love it !!
    iloveyou.gif i dont know what u did but id buy your product, not just becasue my daughter is in it but i really like the effect it gave!!!

troy
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Troy,

I have been experimenting with a new technique that I am developing. What do you think of this?
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    i dont like it, i absolutely love it !!
    iloveyou.gif i dont know what u did but id buy your product, not just becasue my daughter is in it but i really like the effect it gave!!!

troy

You could try this also. Not a substitute for proper focus, but may be able to salvage a shot or two.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2064