Need some help please...

clicketf3clicketf3 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited June 5, 2010 in Holy Macro
Can anyone share with me, the technique of capturing a spiders web? I tried different diffusers, apertures, working distances, and just couldn't nail it. This is the best outcome, kind of hit or miss.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    well it's a good shot anyway.
    If you just want the web rather than the spider then you are better off shooting them in natural early morning or late evening sun when the sun is low.
    Brian v.
  • clicketf3clicketf3 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Thanks Brian. This subject is backlit as it has spun its web across a window, hence the blue/white background.Perhaps it is not possible, obviously as I mentioned I tried numerous techniques.
    Just looking for the right combination.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    well it's a good shot anyway.
    If you just want the web rather than the spider then you are better off shooting them in natural early morning or late evening sun when the sun is low.
    Brian v.

Either way also carry a spray bottle of really light cooking oil or water to lightly spray the web so the light reflects off it better and the droplets can be interesting also........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited June 3, 2010
    Thanks Art. I'm thinking spider wouldn't mind water, but the cooking oil I dont know. The oil would probably diffract the light a little more interestingly.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    clicketf3 wrote: »
    Thanks Brian. This subject is backlit as it has spun its web across a window, hence the blue/white background.Perhaps it is not possible, obviously as I mentioned I tried numerous techniques.
    Just looking for the right combination.
    Wasn't sure f you wanted the web to show with a closeup of the spider as well. If so then you really need a dark background (or no close background) and use flash, obviously with the camera at right angles to the web.
    For a natural light shot you again would need a dark background with the light behind but at an angle to the web (ie not lighting the background.

Old animated shot below of a spider building a web taken in strong low natural light at an angle to the web.

Vrian V.

3997670719_60b5f79523_o.gif
    edited June 4, 2010
    That's the ticket! I will try this. I was hesitant in using the cooking oil. And once again, your work...WOW!!! Thank you Brian.
  • Robin CasadyRobin Casady Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Try backlighting the web with a remote flash, or just natural light.