Options

Backup (what is good?)

2»

Comments

• Options
    LinhLinh Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    cmason wrote: »
    As i mentioned above, check out Crashplan,which specifically addresses your concerns, which were concerns of mine as well, and moved me away from Mozy onto Crashplan.

missed your second post. I remember reading about crashplan before. seemed focused on doing your own remote site, like setting up a drive on a relatives computer. I was not too thrilled about that unless it's encrypted. Seems like it is though, I might have to look at that option if I can pull it off, heh. But might look at their online offering too if network drives are supported.
    vote on the following smugmug feedback:
    CSS Block To Flow Down To Children Folders/Pages/Galleries
    [URL="http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1104583-a-bulk-
    gallery-download-button-for-my-visitors"]bulk download option for clients[/URL]
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Linh wrote: »
    missed your second post. I remember reading about crashplan before. seemed focused on doing your own remote site, like setting up a drive on a relatives computer. I was not too thrilled about that unless it's encrypted. Seems like it is though, I might have to look at that option if I can pull it off, heh. But might look at their online offering too if network drives are supported.

Right, this is confusing: the Crashplan application, allows you to backup to your own external harddrives, and to other computers, including those located remotely. You don't have to at all, its just an option. Another option is what they call Crashplan Central, which is their online offering.

The confusing bit is they have Crashplan, and Crashplan +. "+" is simply a paid-for version of the Crashplan app, that removes ads, and adds a few minor features. Crashplan Central is the online bit, that works with either Crashplan (free) or Crashplan +(paid app).

I use Crashplan (free) app, and purchased a Crashplan Central plan. I use the app to backup to external harddrives, as well as Crashplan Central. Central is live, always backing up. I backup to external drives on about a monthly basis, manually. I also have the Crashplan app (free) on my wife's computer, and it does a backup to my Mac upstairs.
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    Linh wrote: »
    yeah, the drobo is expensive, and I'm only looking at the original, the FS is way too much, as the S is. FW is fine for me, I'm not using it to work off of. My issue is mostly with single drive failure. While I'm pretty protected in my current method, I want the ability to easily expand. Though, I don't currently forsee exceeding 2TB soon, so my current method will hold out for a while longer.

I guess "expensive" is a relative term, but right now, you can get a Drobo v2 (the FW/USB 2.0 version) for about $330 from Amazon. This is without drives.

For me, the cost of the Drobo plus storage (I have 4 1TB drives in it) was well worth the easy, nearly infinite expandability and the peace of mind that comes with knowing that if a drive fails, I won't lose all of my data. I have had drives fail on me in the past. Once I nearly lost ALL of my digital photo archive, I learned my lesson and now I have my Aperture vault and video archives on the Drobo, and everything backed up to Backblaze.

The FW800 Drobo isn't the fastest thing around but it's more than adequate for my needs. Makes a great media server storage device, too. Mine has been rock solid since I bought it, and I actually had a drive fail in it and I didn't lose a thing.

I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an on-site, fault-tolerant, easily expandable storage solution.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    So I did it. And the best part is, I survived.

The Big2 Quadra worked as it should. And so did Lightroom. I did a clean install of Windows 7, this completely formats the C: drive. So all files and programs are gone.

I installed my eSATA driver, then LR and then located latest backup on the Big2 Quadra, then BAM! All is there and functioning just as it was before. That is pretty sweet!

To me the Drobo seemed like the perfect thing. The problem I have with it is the fact it is proprietary. If it hoses up you are totally hosed up. The LaCie system is just a basic mirrored disk arrangement. So it can be read on any system. This along with no weird compression is a good thing. Drobo's hybrid raid freaks me out. I could be perfect. Or it could be a disaster. I have read a few too many disaster stories about it to get the warm fuzzies about the Drobo.
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    Well, the important thing is that you got a backup solution up and running. That matters a lot more than what kind you got. So congrats! And hopefully, you'll never need it. But if you do, you'll be glad you have it.
  • Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    After reading this thread I decided to give Crashplan a try. So far so good... It's been running for about 5 days and I've managed to get just over 60GB into the cloud.
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    …but do any of you ever do fire-drills, just to prove that it works?

If not, then the whole exercise is a bit of a waste of time… eek7.gif

rolleyes1.gif

- Wil

Yep, just proved it to myself the other day. I was going to replace my hard drive so I figured, what the heck, why not test my backup strategy now? FAILED!!!.. Now my new theory has been implemented and tested... partially. Next test will be next week. (Not using the system right now so I can wait.)
  • Options
    daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2010
    PilotBrad wrote: »
    After reading this thread I decided to give Crashplan a try. So far so good... It's been running for about 5 days and I've managed to get just over 60GB into the cloud.

That's impressive! I've been running BackBlaze fairly continuously for 10 days now and only have about 20 gig into the cloud (in fairness, there were two or three days when I was traveling that I had no internet connection).

Still, on a good day I'm only able to upload about 2.5 gig.

Gonna pause BackBlaze, install Crashplan and let it run for a day or two and see if it's any faster.
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com
  • Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2010
    That's impressive!
    I'm not sure if my performance can be attributed to Crashplan or to my internet connection. My connection routinely tests at 22Mbps down and 4Mbps up.
  • Options
    daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2010
    Got Crashplan up and running and it appears to be much faster than BackBlaze. Plus, I like the interface better. Gonna see how it does in the next two days (that's when the Backblaze trial expires) -- if the speed remains near where it is, then I'll go with Crashplan.

EDIT: Crashplan must have a heck of a compression algorithm. It seems to be compressing everything by 90%. That's why it can upload faster. It claims it will have 170 gig backed up in a week.

FURTHER EDIT: It must have run into some easy-to-compress files early on, because now it says it will take about 30 days. The compression ratio has also dropped. Still, I like the interface better and think it will still be faster overall.
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com