An Exceptionally Rare Cat

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited June 5, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
You can hardly be more rare than to be the only one in the world. You're looking at the 1966 Jaguar XJ13....the only one ever made. It was conceived to be a competitive racer in the Le Mans class. Internal issues within Jaguar delayed its introduction and, by the time it was completed and ready to go, the cars of Ford and Ferrari....not to mention the Porsche 917....has passed it by in terms of technical capabilities. So this beauty never was raced.

The aerodynamicist Malcolm Sayer ( also the stylist for the sleek-shaped C-Type and D-Type Jags ) was responsible for the smooth lines of this car. It is powered by a 5 Liter V-12 putting out 502 HP.

888788154_m4jnK-XL.jpg

888788618_FWYB3-XL.jpg

888788848_gbWpc-XL.jpg

888789081_5KcUP-XL.jpg

888788395_2SvoA-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Boy Tom that is one beautiful machine. In my younger days Jaguar was always my favorite "wish I could afford one" marque. Unfortunately the closest I ever came was an MG Midget back in the 70's. :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Nice job, Tom!

Gorgeous car, with quite an interesting history (worth looking on The Web, starting with wikipedia)

Thanks for the pics!

thumb.gif

- Wil

Further thoughts: Seeing that plexiglass, I can't help wondering just how noisy it must have been in the cockpit when driving down the Mulsanne Straight with that V12 in full cry! I bet it would take your breath away…

…literally!

:D
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Wow! I can only DREAM!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 4, 2010
    Hah! I clicked on the title not looking at who posted and was expecting a feline. rolleyes1.gif

I have never had anything than boring cars, but I always lusted after an XK-E. This is even more fabulous. Thanks for sharing.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Beautiful car, Tom...... WELL DONE!!! :D gary
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Truth be told, Jack, you probably had as much fun in the MG Midget without all the expense of keeping that Jag on the road.

I'll tell you a quick story about me and a Jag. It was 1961. One of my fraternity brother's family owned and operated a company that serviced and delivered to the dealers most of the European cars that came in to the South through the port in Jacksonville. One afternoon, they had a minor crisis. One of the very first XK E models to come into the country had to be delivered overnight to a dealer in Vero Beach....a good 2 to 2 1/2 hours south of Jax.

All their trucks were booked and nobody in the office could make the run. My good friend ( the fraternity brother, had a hot date and plead his case to me ) asked if I would drive the car down to Vero Beach. The only drawback was that I would have to catch a Greyhound bus back to Jax. Well, the chance to drive a new XK E outweighed that consideration. I was off and running to Vero.

Unfortunately, the car had come into the port without the gear shift knob...just the lever sticking up, all the threads...just no knob. I knew that before starting out but, what the hell, man, this was an XK E. Besides, I was a tough hombre....could handle anything.

I wasn't five miles out of town and my right hand started to resemble a bloody stump. I soon started to alternate shifting with my left hand, but saw I was probably going to kill myself if I kept that up. I ended up putting one of my tennis shoes over the damn thing and gripping it to make the shift. I made it to Vero but somewhere along the way the lure of the XK E started to fade and I wiped out my favorite pair of tennies.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited June 4, 2010
    Hey Wil,

I was there when they fired this beast up. It made all the proper race-car sounds, but nothing, I'm sure, like it would sound at full cry.

Back when I had a Ferrari ( 1977 308 GTB ).... V-8, four carbs, European exhaust....I used to take it out late at night on some lonely roads and let that thing wail for a while. Like you, I'd love to hear that Jag sing at full song.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    edited June 4, 2010
    Hey Snowgirl,

I think I'll dream with you....shouldn't hurt either one of us. Thanks for looking in.

Tom
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

What a stunning car, can't even imagine getting to run the track in that.

Jag's were my favorites growing up, my Best Friend had a 66 XKE and that was a wonderful experience, but seems we were always working on it, and that it never had a good coat of paint on it

Always love seeing what you come up with for us.

Have a great weekend!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Wow! Low and sleek; just the way a sports car should sit. Well done, Tom!
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited June 5, 2010
    Hey Richard,

Well, in a way it is a feline. :D That will teach you to check and see who's posting.:D Thanks for looking in.

Tom
    edited June 5, 2010
    Thanks for the visit and the nice comment, Gary.

Take care,

Tom
    edited June 5, 2010
    Yo Craig,

Most folks I knew that had Jags had the same experience your friend had...always working on them.

Take care,

Tom