Options

Which fly is better

HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
edited August 22, 2005 in Holy Macro
Hi All,
I'm going to put one of these flys into the STF challenge for things that fly. After making both of these, I can't decide which to use. I prefer the patterns in the first and the colors in the second. Any comments?

Fly One:
47900197.jpg

Or Fly Two:
47900198.jpg

Now, I could enter both but think they are too similar and would appear redundant.

Thanks for your comments,
Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Hi Chris- think #1pic works better- something to do with those strong diagonals.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    I like #2
    I like the rounded-ness of the second picture. I might like it cropped a little bit also...
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Agreed on the #2 for the background, although it's too bad that the fly's behind is OOF. The fly looks better in #1. So I'm puzzled which one is better. headscratch.gif
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    2 def ! Better background. Great shot mate.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Number 2 the dof is great and gives the whole shot depth thumb.gif
  • Options
    elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Awesome pic, Higgmeister!!!
    I like #2 best - it's a great shot! I love the crispiness of the fly! Outstanding!thumb.gif
    Hi All,
    I'm going to put one of these flys into the STF challenge for things that fly. After making both of these, I can't decide which to use. I prefer the patterns in the first and the colors in the second. Any comments?

Fly One:
    47900197.jpg

Or Fly Two:
    47900198.jpg

Now, I could enter both but think they are too similar and would appear redundant.

Chris
  • Options
    wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Hi All,

Fly One:
    47900197.jpg

Or Fly Two:
    47900198.jpg

Chris
    Both are great, but I really like the detail in the first one!
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    #2 Chris clap.gif , looks like a runway shot from a flyfashion show! thumb.gifheadscratch.gif

AJ
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    I agree with Gubbs's reasoning on the dof for #2, however, I must admit that I find the checkerboard background *very* distracting in both.

regards
    alan
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm thinking #2 is the one I'm going to submit (most comments). I really hate giving up the strong forms in #1, but the challenge is about flying and the fly should be center stage (just trying to justify giving #1 up). At least I don't feel the fool for having a tough time choosing between the two.

Just a little info on the shot:
    The shot has been rotated 180 degrees. The fly had landed on the lighting fixture cover (upside down), hence the patterns. When I saw the fly there, I thought the repeating patterns would work on the level that fly's eyes are also a repeating pattern. Hence, the larger than normal background to show. I'd love to get a closer up of the eye on a smaller background to really show the relationship between the two. I like the in-your-face type of macros, but I didn't shoot this as macro.

Thanks again for the comments,
    Chris

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    I like #2,thumb.gif but I would suggest cropping the top down some. You want to leave the great DOF in, just not so much. For me it draws my eyes too much away from the fly and doesn't lead them back.
  • Options
    aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    Hi,

I perfer the second--here you have it all--also pattern, interesting DOF , great color and better composition.

Michal
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    I think I prefer the 2nd because I like macro with only part in focus. Plus the scales are blown out in the first one. What is the background? It looks like metal snake skin. Edit(Never mind that question, I have to learn to read both pages before I reply 11doh.gif)

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2005
    Hi Khaos,
    I agree with the being more background than needed to a macro of a fly on a pattern. I actually wanted more pattern with that fly size to really accentuate the repeating pattern. The only way to achieve that would be to get a bigger fly (no thanks) or have a smaller pattern, which I had no control over. Originally, the scene was larger but I lost too much detail in the fly. The reason for the scale is to give a sense of a fly on a fly's eye, hence the title "A Fly's Eye".

Thanks for the suggestion as you are right for a fly macro,
    Chris

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    I agree with Gubbs's reasoning on the dof for #2, however, I must admit that I find the checkerboard background *very* distracting in both.

regards
    alan
    Tough call Chris. I would give #2 a slight edge, but either should work just fine. Hows that for sitting of the fence?
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com