Caroline

OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
edited August 19, 2005 in People
Going for "natural"..

11small-vi.jpg

Yes, I know her flower is blown out (below) but if you're not a photographer you don't even notice!

2small-vi.jpg

8small-vi.jpg

What do you think? I used my tinfoil reflector again. No flash, all natural light, usually lit from at my feet because that's the only way I could balance two things. icon10.gif Honest to god I didn't play with the eyes this time. I must say, I do enjoy the natural sparkle.

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    Going for "natural"..

Yes, I know her flower is blown out (below) but if you're not a photographer you don't even notice!

What do you think? I used my tinfoil reflector again. No flash, all natural light, usually lit from at my feet because that's the only way I could balance two things. icon10.gif Honest to god I didn't play with the eyes this time. I must say, I do enjoy the natural sparkle.
    You caught her I think.. I like 2 and 3 best.. I can see her personality. Interesting that you used foil.. I would have thought that would have made a color cast but I'm not seeing it.thumb.gif
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    Going for "natural"..What do you think? I used my tinfoil reflector again. No flash, all natural light, usually lit from at my feet because that's the only way I could balance two things. icon10.gif Honest to god I didn't play with the eyes this time. I must say, I do enjoy the natural sparkle.
    I like the pictures, but I do notice the relatively central, bottom up lighting. The pictures (especially #3) start to show the so called 'racoon mask' in the eyes, while the bottom of the cheeks are very light.

As a suggested solution (and cheap):

1) ask a friend of you or her to come along and be assistant (hold the reflector)
    2) visit home depot/harbor freight, and you will be surprised at what $20 worth of gizmo's and jizzymebobs will do to make a makeshift reflector holder.

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    XO-Studios wrote:
    I like the pictures, but I do notice the relatively central, bottom up lighting. The pictures (especially #3) start to show the so called 'racoon mask' in the eyes, while the bottom of the cheeks are very light.

XO,
    I don't see it quite as severely but it is there to some extent. I'm wondering if you would have noticed it had I not said anything about it! :P

Reflector holder. Good idea. :)
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    I don't see it quite as severely but it is there to some extent. I'm wondering if you would have noticed it had I not said anything about it! :P

Reflector holder. Good idea. :)
    It is always the catch lights that tip me off.

As I have been reading (and will be reading) a lot about flash/studio/natural light photography over the last 6 months or so, one of the websites suggests that for every picture you see, try to guestimate what lighting they used, and what sorts of modifiers. They recommended that as a goal to get better at doing lighting yourself. One of teh give away's is the catchlights.

FWIW,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    *ahem*

o/''' Sweet Caroline... good shots never seemed so good! o/''

*grin* clap.gifrofl
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2