ACR 6.0.1 Oddity

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
edited June 5, 2010 in Finishing School
I just started using an evaluation copy of CS5. I'll probably post my general impressions after I have used it a bit more, but I came across something this morning that left me scratching my head. I was putting the new noise reduction in ACR 6 through its paces and trying to understand exactly how its controls work. To better appreciate their effect I zoomed to 300%. Here are two screen shots in which the only difference is toggling the preview of the sharpening/NR pane's effect on and off:

Preview ON (300%):
889425025_jBfmN-XL.jpg

Preview OFF (300%):
889424948_uARKL-XL.jpg

To my eye, it appears that some sharpening has been applied when the preview is off. If you look at the sliders, both sharpening and noise reduction are set to zero. I would expect the images to be identical in that case but they clearly are not.

The main pane settings are my defaults, no clarity added. The preview in the main pane is identical to the sharpening pane preview with the pane preview ON and the preview was unchanged when I unchecked the box.

So am I missing something or does this just seem wrong? :scratch

Comments

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    I just started using an evaluation copy of CS5. I'll probably post my general impressions after I have used it a bit more, but I came across something this morning that left me scratching my head. I was putting the new noise reduction in ACR 6 through its paces and trying to understand exactly how its controls work. To better appreciate their effect I zoomed to 300%. Here are two screen shots in which the only difference is toggling the preview of the sharpening/NR pane's effect on and off:

Preview ON (300%):

Preview OFF (300%):

To my eye, it appears that some sharpening has been applied when the preview is off. If you look at the sliders, both sharpening and noise reduction are set to zero. I would expect the images to be identical in that case but they clearly are not.

The main pane settings are my defaults, no clarity added. The preview in the main pane is identical to the sharpening pane preview with the pane preview ON and the preview was unchanged when I unchecked the box.

So am I missing something or does this just seem wrong? headscratch.gif

The default setting is to do mild sharpening, right? So when you turn the preview off, that's what it's showing you I think.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited June 4, 2010
    pyry wrote: »
    The default setting is to do mild sharpening, right? So when you turn the preview off, that's what it's showing you I think.
    If that's so, then I have been thinking about it wrong all along. I assumed that turning off the preview would mean that none of the effects of that pane were applied to the raw source. ne_nau.gif
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    If that's so, then I have been thinking about it wrong all along. I assumed that turning off the preview would mean that none of the effects of that pane were applied to the raw source. ne_nau.gif

I can't confirm with ACR 6, but with ACR 5 the preview toggles between the original and current settings on the present tab.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited June 5, 2010
    pyry wrote: »
    I can't confirm with ACR 6, but with ACR 5 the preview toggles between the original and current settings on the present tab.
    Hey pyry, you nailed it. Preview off reverts to the default settings for the pane, not zero settings for the controls. So I guess the only thing odd here was my misconception about how it worked. rolleyes1.gif Thanks for setting me straight. thumb.gif