Lens Suggestion For Taking Graduation Pics

GrissomGrissom Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited June 5, 2010 in Cameras
I will be attending a college graduation next week and I am looking for a suggestion for a lens to use on my 30D. The ceremony will be held indoors and I am not quite sure of the distance to the stage. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    nothing shorter than a 70-200 f2.8 .........I am not one to just sit in my seat at a graduation and
    I usually can find my way to an area close to where the paid PROs (refering to the ones paid by the school) are and shoot from there for
    what I need......it is usually a case of looking PRO and acting PRO.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 4, 2010
    My strategy is the same as any event: arrive early, talk to the organizers to find out the "flow" of the event, choose a likely shooting position and then protect the area in front of that position.

Then I choose a lens based on the shooting position. Based on "general admission" type seating, if the seats are not assigned, I try for a vantage that works well with my 70-200mm, f2.8. I also use a monopod (monopods are usually allowed where tripods are not allowed) to keep the camera and lens at shooting position as well as stabilize the system. I also use flash to fill the worst shadows. Even at a distance it can help. The flash will probably produce some redeye at the longer distances, so be prepared to deal with it in post.

From 2 different indoor graduations, different years:

889644743_Nb8ZT-O.jpg

889645390_kvytD-O.jpg

Outdoor events I try to become one of the official shooters, either shooting for the local paper or along with the contract photographer. The 70-200mm range is also my normal choice for this type of shooting.

889660732_g8sA3-O.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    El cheapo 55-200 will get you from

Here:
    4324009522_56a5165631.jpg

To Here:
    4324008472_2fd452b777.jpg

If you can't get closer.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    At least 200mm. See if there's a way where you can get above the crowd for the shot on the stage or in the audience. These events tend to be low light at times too so consider that as well. But nothing less than a 70-200 I would think.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Be ready for that shot at the end when they all throw their caps up in the air. Have your camera set for the continuous drive mode and just keep your finger on the shutter as soon as those caps start flying.
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    CynthiaM wrote: »
    Be ready for that shot at the end when they all throw their caps up in the air. Have your camera set for the continuous drive mode and just keep your finger on the shutter as soon as those caps start flying.

Like this? :D

882177275_8uMQ8-XL.jpg
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010