Options

Colorful abstracts-comments?

digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
edited August 19, 2005 in Holy Macro
While I love abstracts, I'm not quite sure what makes a great one. Sure, you can take your general rules for photography, but what I find most of the time is that something that's great and interesting to look at to the naked eye, doesn't necessarily mean it will translate into a great image given the frame and focus of a photograph.

So here are 2 shots I took last night of a motherboard I have. I put a 60W lamp directly behind it so that the light would shine through particular areas. I like the effect a lot and experimented quite a bit with camera movement (I'll have to work on that more), but in the meantime, here are the shots. As usual, CLICK PIC FOR EXIF.

Purple Diagonals (gotta think of a better name here); obviously altered the hue, increased contrast a bit, deepened the darker end in curves.
32678924-M.jpg

This one I call Severed Arteries for obvious reasons. I know, I'm weird. The same treatment was done for this one, except I moved the camera out very slowly during exposure. The final image was also a result of cropping.
32678933-M.jpg

So does anyone know of a photographer who does a lot of abstracts? I'd be curious to see more stuff.

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    I don't know anything about abstract pics, but that #2 pic is sure eye catching- like it a lot
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    While I love abstracts, I'm not quite sure what makes a great one. Sure, you can take your general rules for photography, but what I find most of the time is that something that's great and interesting to look at to the naked eye, doesn't necessarily mean it will translate into a great image given the frame and focus of a photograph.

So here are 2 shots I took last night of a motherboard I have. I put a 60W lamp directly behind it so that the light would shine through particular areas. I like the effect a lot and experimented quite a bit with camera movement (I'll have to work on that more), but in the meantime, here are the shots. As usual, CLICK PIC FOR EXIF.

Purple Diagonals (gotta think of a better name here); obviously altered the hue, increased contrast a bit, deepened the darker end in curves.

This one I call Severed Arteries for obvious reasons. I know, I'm weird. The same treatment was done for this one, except I moved the camera out very slowly during exposure. The final image was also a result of cropping.

So does anyone know of a photographer who does a lot of abstracts? I'd be curious to see more stuff.
    Hi DF wave.gif and yes you are weird but we like you anyway. Personally I love abstracts and I like yours.. #2 looks a little out of focus on my screen but I'm only on my second cup of coffee so that might account for it thumb.gif
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Hi Digital Faerie,
    I too like #2, the lines, implied motion and colors grab me. Unfortunately, #1 doesn't.
    As for a site, it's not fully abstract but I really like this guy's work. The work is not typical. Once I saw his work, I knew what direction I was looking for in my photography, just not ready for it yet:cry (need to develop more skills). There is a discussion about him in the latest pbase ezine at www.pbase.com. Here is his site:
    http://www.pbase.com/davenit

Hope this helps and keep shooting those cool shots,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    #2 looks a little out of focus on my screen but I'm only on my second cup of coffee so that might account for it thumb.gif
    Hey girl! Long time, eh? I believe your coffee is strong enough, it is much softer in comparison to the first.

I'm surprised a lot of you seem to like #2 better, I like it, but I figured it wouldn't fly compared to the 1st. shows ya what I know. You people never cease to surprise me. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    Hi Digital Faerie,
    I too like #2, the lines, implied motion and colors grab me. Unfortunately, #1 doesn't.
    As for a site, it's not fully abstract but I really like this guy's work. The work is not typical. Once I saw his work, I knew what direction I was looking for in my photography, just not ready for it yet:cry (need to develop more skills). There is a discussion about him in the latest pbase ezine at www.pbase.com. Here is his site:

Chris
    just looked at his site and WOW WOW WOW. The art is abstract to a degree, it's certainly conceptual and I absolutely love it. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Hi Digital Faerie,

Chris
    Yep. He has some great concepts. I love the smiley face one, "Alone"
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    DF, these look like great backgrounds for commercial\website work. You should look into that.