Pricing: Selling Multiple CDs

rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited June 10, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
A woman contacted me yesterday about shooting some portraits/candids of a family reunion that will take place in July. I told her I would be happy to do it, and quoted her with my hourly rate, along with $75 per CD (or a package of prints if she preferred). She replied, telling me the family would like to purchase 4 CDs.

How should I price this? The price of a CD is usually just purchasing the photo rights. If they purchase one CD, what's to stop them from simply burning the photos to another CD?

a) Charge full price for each CD, totaling $300.
b) Charge full price for the 1st CD, and then a smaller fee for additional CDs, say $25 each.
c) Charge full price for the 1st CD, and give the additional 3 CDs for free.

Thanks in advance guys!
website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.

How should I price an order of multiple CDs? 8 votes

Charge full price for each CD.
37% 3 votes
Charge full price for the 1st CD, along with a smaller fee for each additional CD.
62% 5 votes
Charge full price for the 1st CD, and give the additional CDs away for free.
0% 0 votes

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Did she ask for a discount on the other CDs?
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    rgphoto,

I think you answered your own question.

Your $75.00 price for a CD isn't for the physical disk, but for the images the disk contains and the rights to print copy etc. They can easily make copies themselves.

Making copies for them is a customer service.

Do you deliver CDs with a printed cover, jewel box , nice jewel box cover, or in a paper sleeve? If printed and looking good then I would charge $10.00 each for additional CDs. If they are plain and in a paper sleeve. (I wouldn't do that) then I would charge $2.00.

Sam
  • rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Did she ask for a discount on the other CDs?

Nope. After I quoted her my hourly rate and $75 for a CD, she replied saying "Great, we'll take 4 CDs."
    Sam wrote: »
    rgphoto,

I think you answered your own question.

Your $75.00 price for a CD isn't for the physical disk, but for the images the disk contains and the rights to print copy etc. They can easily make copies themselves.

Making copies for them is a customer service.

Do you deliver CDs with a printed cover, jewel box , nice jewel box cover, or in a paper sleeve? If printed and looking good then I would charge $10.00 each for additional CDs. If they are plain and in a paper sleeve. (I wouldn't do that) then I would charge $2.00.

Sam

Thanks Sam. That's good advice. I put my CDs in a jewel box with a simple label with information about the photo shoot (who, when, where, etc.)

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

• rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    rgphoto wrote: »
    Nope. After I quoted her my hourly rate and $75 for a CD, she replied saying "Great, we'll take 4 CDs."

Yes, you answered your own question...(A) $75 x 4 ($300) plus whatever your hourly rate x #/hours is CLEARLY what she is expecting - throw in a free 8x10 that may lead to additional print sales afterwards.

Look at it this way: She inquired, you quoted, she then placed her order. END OF STORY. (Well after you deliver her order!).

What does the poll have to do with the scenario you laid out??

Then you'll have to explain why you misquoted and it won't increase the sale only make you look unprofessional...

There is no reason to think otherwise- example: You walk into any store ask the the clerk how much is this item and he says $75 - Then you say I'll take 4 - is there any reason why you would expect him to ring up anything other than 75 x 4??

-rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
    edited June 8, 2010
    rich56k wrote: »
    Yes, you answered your own question...(A) $75 x 4 ($300) plus whatever your hourly rate x #/hours is CLEARLY what she is expecting - throw in a free 8x10 that may lead to additional print sales afterwards.

Look at it this way: She inquired, you quoted, she then placed her order. END OF STORY. (Well after you deliver her order!).

What does the poll have to do with the scenario you laid out??

Then you'll have to explain why you misquoted and it won't increase the sale only make you look unprofessional...

There is no reason to think otherwise- example: You walk into any store ask the the clerk how much is this item and he says $75 - Then you say I'll take 4 - is there any reason why you would expect him to ring up anything other than 75 x 4??

-rich56k

That reasoning makes sense, except that the price of the CD is mostly due to her buying the rights to the photos. If I were to charge her full price for each CD, she would be buying the rights for the photos 4 times.

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Presumably she's going to give the other 3 CDs to other people, right? So would she not be paying for the licenses for those people to print too? Seems fair to me.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • ChrisNChrisN Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    rgphoto wrote: »
    That reasoning makes sense, except that the price of the CD is mostly due to her buying the rights to the photos. If I were to charge her full price for each CD, she would be buying the rights for the photos 4 times.

What rights would she buying with the CD? This is really determined by the license you are selling but I think most consumers want the CD to make prints for themselves and to give to family and to use the pics online. I don't think most are looking for the rights to redistribute the full res files to others. To me it makes since that each person/family that wants the rights purchases a CD. While it is definitely possible for someone to violate the license you gave them and make copies for everyone doesn't make it right (if you have not given those rights). Just as I can buy an unprotected mp3 file online and could send it on to my friends without the seller knowing doesn't make it right or legal. The other option they have of having one person in the family make prints for everyone else may be a hassle she wants to avoid. You quoted a fair price and she agreed with it, why look for a way to make less? Be grateful you have an honest client willing to pay a fair rate. There are way to many looking for a way make it as cheap as possible. Also the more people that are there are at the even typically the more work you will end up putting into the project.
    edited June 10, 2010
    Thanks guys! This has really helped.