Split image focusing screen for 5D II ?

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
edited June 6, 2010 in Cameras
Hi,

Can someone recommend a good split image focussing screen
for the 5DII? How does it compare to say the one on my
old Pentax ME? The ones I found seem to have a rather small
split screen area: http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/5d2en.htm
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 5, 2010
    The metering section of a modern dSLR resides above the viewfinder screen. When you use an alternate screen you risk affecting the metering performance of the camera. While the Canon 5D MLII does have an optional viewfinder screen and optional setting, there is no guarantee that the optional settings will work for third-party screens. The split screen area needs to be small to reduce the impact on metering performance.

The small, central split screen also means using a focus and recompose technique fairly often, which can lead to focus error at large apertures.

I suggest using the Live View capability, along with magnification of the area of prime focus. Practice the technique a bit and it's really pretty fast in use.

I also use manual focus lenses in an appropriate adapter which has an AF confirmation chip. This allows the AF system to work along with manual focus and it is both speedy and accurate (but not perfect).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I also use manual focus lenses in an appropriate adapter which has an AF confirmation chip. This allows the AF system to work along with manual focus and it is both speedy and accurate (but not perfect).

I use these too, with very good results, but I understand the desire for a split prism. The AF points lighting up is fine for showing you when you're in focus, but not so great for telling you how far off you are. With a split prism, if you want two things at different distances to be in focus, you can tell when you're focused about halfway between them because they're both split about the same amount but in opposite directions. Then you use DOF preview to ensure that your chosen aperture will provide enough DOF. This requires more back-and-forth checking to work reliably with focus confirmation.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    That is too bad! I tought there was an easy way to bring back the Pentax viewfinder feeling :)
    I use LiveView technique when shooting with tripod but just miss the way the ME "feels" when
    looking through the huge split-screen viewfinder ...
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    That is too bad! I tought there was an easy way to bring back the Pentax viewfinder feeling :)
    I use LiveView technique when shooting with tripod but just miss the way the ME "feels" when
    looking through the huge split-screen viewfinder ...

Yes. My solution was to buy an old film camera and several rolls of Tri-X 400 and Velvia 50. :D
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Katz eye.............................................................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    craig_d wrote: »
    Yes. My solution was to buy an old film camera and several rolls of Tri-X 400 and Velvia 50. :D

I did not want to open that can of worms again. I left analog behind for good :)
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Katz eye.............................................................

Unfortunately they don't make any for the 5DII
    (http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Canon-DSLRs--cat_canon.html
    does).. but as I've just learned it could render the metering useless.
    ― Edward Weston
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 5, 2010
    I did not want to open that can of worms again. I left analog behind for good :)

Unfortunately they don't make any for the 5DII
    (http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Canon-DSLRs--cat_canon.html
    does).. but as I've just learned it could render the metering useless.

Not completely useless, but accuracy could be compromised.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010

I know it can feel like "cheating" on all your expensive digital gear, but film is a great change of pace once in a while...

629018361_3exvz-XL.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.