a sharper girl

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited August 23, 2005 in People
look what you people on here have helped me learn to do.....
this is a result of your efforts helping me, is it perfect no.. but im on my way.......

i wish i could somehow pay for my gratitude...

32696957-L.jpg

Comments

• JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    This forum is really teaching me as well! Beautiful shot and she is just gorgeous! I'm envious of her eyelashes.
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    I was half expecting to see a copy of your CC bill reffering to our helping you learn to spend all your money.

She is very pretty though and you had better be planning for her starting to bring guys home if she isn't already.

Your portraits are great and keep in mind that sometimes alittle soft is good, learning the results from each setting is great for knowing exactly what you want later. However the look on her face in this photo looks alot like "Yeah ok you got a new freaking lense, big deal, get over it".
    You do seem to have some spare cameras lying around mwink.gif.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    thanx dragon!! i found a way to pay "everyone" for their help -
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=150617

troy

I was half expecting to see a copy of your CC bill reffering to our helping you learn to spend all your money.

She is very pretty though and you had better be planning for her starting to bring guys home if she isn't already.

Your portraits are great and keep in mind that sometimes alittle soft is good, learning the results from each setting is great for knowing exactly what you want later. However the look on her face in this photo looks alot like "Yeah ok you got a new freaking lense, big deal, get over it".

You do seem to have some spare cameras lying around mwink.gif.
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Laughing.gif. You know I was just kidding right.

The donation is a great idea.

Thats one of the great things about this place, we are all here so that we can help each other and learn more ourselves. There is so little bickering (even though it does happen) on this forum compared to others it is great. It's no wonder we can pull of great events like the smug shootouts.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 19, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    this is a result of your efforts helping me, is it perfect no.. but im on my way.......

32696957-S.jpg
    This IS better!!:):
    Both eyes are nice and crisp and hold my attention. Now if you could subdue the blue/white background it would be even better.lol3.giflol3 Perhaps select the background and decreasing the saturation and hue might help. Or replacing it with a more neutral even gradient from PS.

I do realize that capturing our children cannot always be accomplished with the backgrounds we would prefer. But it is something to strive for... Nice shot Troy!! It is nice to see suggestions we make implemented so attractively.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    windoze wrote:

Hi Troy,
    Wish I could say that I've helped with the portraits, but I can't so I'm in for the free ride here. You say how could you pay...well, you already did. Look at the portraits you are producing and sharing with us. That's was it's all about and the donation was a nice touch.

Keep on sharing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited August 19, 2005
    Troy,

This is similar to what I used in the other thread, just a bit less since the image started much sharper.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 19, 2005
    hmmm.... headscratch.gif this i like better than my original but think maybe a tad softer around the brows and lashes ( im not sure but it is an improvement!!! )
    troy

ziggy53 wrote:
    Troy,

This is similar to what I used in the other thread, just a bit less since the image started much sharper.
    edited August 19, 2005
    Like this?
    ziggy53
    edited August 19, 2005
    PERFECT !!!! So now in the future, will you make your techinque available or is it solely for your business?

A BIG THANX!!!! iloveyou.gif
    troy

ziggy53 wrote:
    Like this?
    edited August 19, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Like this?

Ziggy I hate to say this... - but your sharpening does funky things to her smooth porcelain skin - sharpening artifacts actually.

If you think the image needs sharpening( and I do not) I would suggest doing it in an adjustment layer so you can erase the effect on the skin and only retain the sharpening around her eyes.

I think Troy's shot was fine as it was.

• PlayeTymePlayeTyme Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Ziggy I hate to say this... - but your sharpening does funky things to her smooth porcelain skin - sharpening artifacts actually.

If you think the image needs sharpening( and I do not) I would suggest doing it in an adjustment layer so you can erase the effect on the skin and only retain the sharpening around her eyes.

I think Troy's shot was fine as it was.
    15524779-Ti.gif I love how the sharpening made her eyes pop, but the soft and natural look of her face was lost. headscratch.gif
    edited August 20, 2005
    Troy,

I am still playing with the technique, and I'm also trying to verify that it's doing what I think it is doing. I am also researching to try to make sure I'm not just duplicating other people's techniques.

If this is something new, I'll detail the procedure here.

After looking at the sharpened image on my home monitor, I think it's over sharpened. I believe I like your original image best, and a great and sensitive image it is. I especially like her hair in the original, it's kinda distracting in the sharpened version. The eyes and lips are perhaps improved, by the method, but otherwise, "you 'da man."

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited August 20, 2005
    Pathfinder and PlayeTyme,

I agree, the sharpened versions are pretty unnecessary. The original image needs very little treatment and no real improvements. My home monitor shows this much better than my work monitor. Partly, I had to use some high JPG compression to save the image, and that appears to have exacerbated the sharpening halos considerably, so the resulting posted image is really oversharpened.

Pathfinder, you are especially right and I would only keep "some" sharpeneing on the eyes and lips, everything else is great in the original.

Thanks for your candor and honest opinion.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:

<SNIP>and that appears to have exacerbated the sharpening halos considerably, so the resulting posted image is really oversharpened.
    <SNIP>
    That was one of the thinks I was seeing in the posts so far with your treatment, halo's, but in my case I wasn;t sure if it was my monitor or the pic.

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
    edited August 21, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:

I agree, the sharpened versions are pretty unnecessary. The original image needs very little treatment and no real improvements. My home monitor shows this much better than my work monitor. Partly, I had to use some high JPG compression to save the image, and that appears to have exacerbated the sharpening halos considerably, so the resulting posted image is really oversharpened.

Pathfinder, you are especially right and I would only keep "some" sharpeneing on the eyes and lips, everything else is great in the original.

Thanks for your candor and honest opinion.

ziggy53

Thanks for you comments Ziggy. I mean that most sincerely. I meant no disrespect, and even reconsidered saying nothing, but just felt that it was oversharpened. You may be correct that the high jpg compression may be a contributing factor. I know I have seen shots of mine on smugmug that looked way oversharpened - but when I look at the original files on my monitor or in a print I have printed they look fine.

I appreciate the fact that you took my comments in a positive and constructive way. If you see similar aspects to images of mine I want you to feel free to give me your honest unblemished opinion also. Thanks again.

• melissa6631melissa6631 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    man does she look li ke your wife. Beautiful girl
    Missy Ü
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Beautiful girl and a very nice portrait of her. I am the queen of changing the background colors and I think it works nicely, especially with portraits. My only other suggestion would be to lighten some of the freckles with the patch tool.