Today's headshots

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited June 23, 2010 in People
C&C always welcomed (yes please!! pretty please!!)

This is a singer friend/colleague, who also directs. Great gal - love her to pieces, and we had a BLAST!

Not done by any means :D This was the first headshot shoot with the 7d and, once again, just as many keepers as I usually get, but with about half the number of total shots taken. I really love this camera :lust This was also the first "somebody other than family" shoot with the Photek Softlighter - I'm very pleased with it so far : thumb

Anyway, three that I processed and edited just because I wanted to. No idea if these are ones she'll pick (she has a fair number to choose from and from her reactions may want some of the other looks we got) but I liked these and just played around with them for myself :D

1. This is the one that probably looks most like her, IMO
891083556_yk9gV-L.jpg

2. I'm not sure about the pose/hands (?) but something about the expression really drew me in, and I like the warm feeling the dark wood of the floor brings when used a bg. It makes for a nice bw, too (need to tweak it somewhat perhaps - that was just a quick conversion using LR grayscale without much adjustment)

891083332_3TUSk-L.jpg

891230933_3YtrX-L.jpg

3. This is what I think of as her "Betty Draper" look (followers of Madmen will know what I mean) I'm not sure it's useable as a traditional headshot even for over-glam oepra, but I do love this series (I have several from this part of the shoot).... We did want a more glam "old Hollywood" kind of look for some of them, which I think we got with these (?).The bg, btw, is the doors in the vestibule to the side of my living room - (there are three doors to other rooms from that tiny little hallway, with the open 4th side directly opposite the big LR windows. I've been dying to try this to see if it would work.) Not sure why what looks like a flash catchlight - I THOUGHT had turned the ste2 off to do this in nat light, so if something was flashing... it was in error! It may just be from the reflector, which was in kind of an odd position (although it's kind of small for that). Not sure :dunno

891083581_PRKsi-L.jpg

Comments

• Katie BethKatie Beth Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Nice set. I like the last one the best.

Which camera did you have before the 7D and do you think it was worth the change? I have a 40D that I bought the same month it came out and would like to upgrade but the 5D MkII is way out of budget. The reviews I've read haven't really inspired me to make a change but then I haven't spoken to anyone with a 7D.
    Katie
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    I prefer the second shot in either BW or color to the other two. In the first, the eyes nearly appear over done with sharpness.....but...more importantly, it appears that when her face is lit from HER right side as in 1 and 3 it makes her nose look crooked. Light from her left...in my opinion...is the way to light her face.thumb.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Thanks, both. These are just the first of a shoot where I think I managed to nail quite a few of them, so we'll see what else I come up with as I process the set today (I never seem to "see" the shots the same way on the day of a shoot as I do afterwards, so there are some I thought I liked that I'll toss, and others that I know I will have missed. Is this a me thing, or do most people find that? headscratch.gif)

@Katie Beth - I am LOVING the 7d. I have an xsi (which I have kept as a backup and lightweight travel body), and also shot with a 50d before getting the 7d. While I would love some FF goodness and the extremely smooth high ISO of the 5dII it's way beyond budget for me too - in fact, the only reason I could jump to the 7d (which I've coveted since its release) was the refurb deal at Adorama which droppped the price to $1399 (incl shipping). By selling the 50d, I could make it work, and it was worth every.single.penny. For me the big deal is the AF which is more responsive and accurate than any camera I've used; being able to rely on the camera corrrectly interpreting what I've focused it on (I shoot single-point, but often at wide apertures - for me "stopping down" usually means about f4 rolleyes1.gif) I don't need to overshoot as much as I have in the past and am getting as many - or more - keepers. Add in the new exposure system which has nailed just about everything I've thrown at it (although the colours tend to be a little saturated on the red/magenta side - no problem for me since I always shoot raw and can adjust), the built-in flash commander and all the customisation goodies, and it's just a terrific and reliable tool that lets me get on with the OTHER stuff involved in taking a picture confident that the camera will get the shot. Also, for the record, while it of course can't match the high ISO performance of the 5dII, it's no slouch, and definitely a step up from both the xsi and 50d; for my theatre shoots, I'm comfortable using ISOs 1600 and 2000 without any worries - as long as the shot isn't significantly underexposed it looks great, and cleans up really well.

@Jeff. Thanks for those insights! I actually knew that finding angles for this gal would be tricky - I've never actually seen photos of her which manage to capture her "real life face" (for want of a better term) or were that flattering. She's just lovely in person - as well as one of the most generous, warm and witty people I've ever known - but it's tough to capture all that she is in a still, far more than most of the people I've shot. I really like #2 as well (it would make a great promo shot for her directorial activities). As for the first one, I think I did less on the eyes in that than in the others (I'll go back and recheck the raw file though - thanks for the heads up). I will say that while the 50 1.4 isn't as sharp as I'd like below 2.0 (somebody PLEASE make a really good, reliable, sharp-wide-open 50mm lens!), in the handfiul of shots i took around 4.0 in some of them I'm actually having to tone sharpness *down* as I process the raw files, as it's just too much for a closeup shot. An unusual problem to have - not sure if it's the combo of lighting or what, but there we have it!

My biggest problem, I'm finding, is *space*. My living room is working ok, but it just feels so cramped (and often dictates light placement - no choices sometimes) - I'd give ANYTHING for a larger space with great big windows like I have. I know - me and every other photographer that ever walked the planet, right....?!
  • Katie BethKatie Beth Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    ... (I never seem to "see" the shots the same way on the day of a shoot as I do afterwards, so there are some I thought I liked that I'll toss, and others that I know I will have missed. Is this a me thing, or do most people find that? headscratch.gif)

rolleyes1.gif I do the same thing. Even when I reprocess an old photo I have to go back the next day and get a fresh look at it. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I'm like "what was I thinking?!"
    divamum wrote: »
    @Katie Beth - I am LOVING the 7d. I have an xsi (which I have kept as a backup and lightweight travel body), and also shot with a 50d before getting the 7d. While I would love some FF goodness and the extremely smooth high ISO of the 5dII it's way beyond budget for me too - in fact, the only reason I could jump to the 7d (which I've coveted since its release) was the refurb deal at Adorama which droppped the price to $1399 (incl shipping). By selling the 50d, I could make it work, and it was worth every.single.penny. For me the big deal is the AF which is more responsive and accurate than any camera I've used; being able to rely on the camera corrrectly interpreting what I've focused it on (I shoot single-point, but often at wide apertures - for me "stopping down" usually means about f4 rolleyes1.gif) I don't need to overshoot as much as I have in the past and am getting as many - or more - keepers. Add in the new exposure system which has nailed just about everything I've thrown at it (although the colours tend to be a little saturated on the red/magenta side - no problem for me since I always shoot raw and can adjust), the built-in flash commander and all the customisation goodies, and it's just a terrific and reliable tool that lets me get on with the OTHER stuff involved in taking a picture confident that the camera will get the shot. Also, for the record, while it of course can't match the high ISO performance of the 5dII, it's no slouch, and definitely a step up from both the xsi and 50d; for my theatre shoots, I'm comfortable using ISOs 1600 and 2000 without any worries - as long as the shot isn't significantly underexposed it looks great, and cleans up really well.

Thanks for the feedback!! You answered all the questions I've had regarding the 7D!!
    Katie
    edited June 8, 2010
    Yeah, I get quite a few of those "what was I THINKING??!!" moments the next morning. It's funny how the images jump out in different ways.

Still waiting for her responses to these - hope she finds something in there she likes! I delivered about 150 for her to choose from. I shoot unlimited frames - we go until we're done - and then try to process/rough-edit about 120-200 selections from which they then choose 1-3 shots for "deep editing", so I'm currently waiting for her selections...
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    SUPER shots! She will be thrilled!!!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Hey Diva! I like em....let me give you a couple ideas for some consideration next group of head shots (as you've been doing many)......I haven't read all that's been said here so my take wouldn't be skewed...Laughing.gif

Once you have your lighting set up....put your camera on a tripod and interact with your subject, using the cable release to trip the shutter. Take some landscape orientations and put them on one side or the other of the frame...use negative space to your advantage. Also, try some different angles rather than up so high above. Yes, typically we want to have the lens just above on a head shot but no pointing "down" so much on every shot. I'm sure you have many others which this may be the case.

What we are always after is to capture the "essence" of their personality..so get them laughing and catch expressions in between smiles and seriousness....you know exactly what the frame would look like. Oftentimes headshots are too closely cropped as if the head is forced into a "box" of the frame if you catch my drift...open up a little and get creative...both with posing, expressions but ESPECIALLY with the lighting. Use shadows to your advantage. Make them shine!

All are technically correct and are pleasing to the eye...I'm just pushing you to take it to a new level....the "wow" headshot.

All my love,

Swartzy
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    For the Diva:

Strobist article on Soprano lighting and the Photex!

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2010/06/on-assignment-soprano.html

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
    edited June 9, 2010
    Aww, thanks Kidzmom, Zoomer, Swartz and Zanotti!

@Zanotti - thanks for the link. Fun. The shots he showed are a bit more "standard portrait" than catching full blown diva (although I do like the full length in the gown - great gown, too!) but then again... that's what I'm working to achieve, too; it's always harder than it looks (says she who has had many, many BAAAADDD headshots taken by quite good photographers)

@Swartzy, you are the BOMB to take the time to make those extended comments. This is indeed something I'm doing more of as word gets round (which is just how I wanted things to grow) so I'm absolutely ALWAYS looking to take it to the next level.

For the record I always take lots in landscape, I just didn't post any in that first batch (see below). You're sure right that I tend to shoot from above, though! Sometimes it's necessary to flatter, but this lovely lady is very slender with a great jawline, and on reviewing the session I realised I did WAAAYYYYYY too many like that (some of which weren't so flattering for her, as it overemphasized her forehead). Point gratefully taken.

I couldn't agree more about shooting looser, too, if only so I have more cropping options (I do like the currently "fashionable" very tight, angled crops so often go for that by design, but sometimes I scupper myself by framing too tight in camera). Sadly, it's NOT always by design though: problem is, quite simply, one of SPACE. I'm going nuts with this at home (10x14 LR, but sadly I can't empty it of all furniture, much though I'd like to!!) and don't have a solution yet. It's a real frustration that I'm just not sure how to solve. ne_nau.gif

I greatly prefer shooting in that wonderful atrium at the college where I teach (and where I did the marathon of actor shots in March and April), but it's a trek out there for most people and, while I'm sure TPTB don't mind if I occasionally do a session there for myself, I think it might not fly if every batch I do (unrelated to college business) is on site.

~muses~
    ~wishes hard for 20x20 room with huge windows~
    ~wonders if local housing authority would allow a garage-studio to be built on property and, if so, what it might cost to do so~

Anybody have any great brainwaves for space on a budget? (yeah, right, I know - every photographer's battle!!!)

I saw some WONDERFUL celebrity shots recently that had a couple of fantastic outtakes - in fact, I'd say those were the best of the sets - and so have been trying to keep that in mind and did, at least, remember to shoot a few (even if they're not keepers other than for fun). This is the other side of C's personality (#2 in the first batch capturing her intelligence and gravitas) - sadly, not useable as a headshot!!!

(unedited)
    895382366_Edvny-S.jpg

And here are a couple of others I may play around with

4. This is cropped in from a (slightly) looser shot (width, but not much extra height). I'm not sure I like the wrist. I was using a Wenger music stand (!) with some whit posterboard on it as a leaner/reflector - it has the advantage that you CAN'T put weight on it (so no crinkly chin), but it isn't as solid as, for instance, the back of a chair. I need to come up with an alternative for next time.

895382398_Ss68u-M.jpg

5. (unedited) Yeah, from above (guilty as charged, m'lud rolleyes1.gif), but I think I like it - the series using the floor as bg all had a nice warmth to them plus, as Jeff mentioned, the light is flattering from that position.

895382378_cKNET-M.jpg

Thanks again all and please do feel free to add any further C&C!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Hi Diva! wave.gif

I really like those last two, especially! I like the light and colors, and as you said, the warmth from the floor. (My floor has provided me some nice backgrounds, so I know how that works. And I like that angle/POV as well.) That's a great outtake, too! Some smiles/laughs just work this way, and hers does.

Congrats on your new camera! So happy you love it and it's freeing you up to take the photos you want. :D
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Love #2... Gorgeous light!
    edited June 9, 2010
    wave.gif Nice to "see" you Elaine, and thanks for the comments!

Thanks Heather - coming from you, oh Queen of Gorgeous Northern Light bowdown.gif that is a BIG STATEMENT :D

Been twiddling a bit tonight and decided to play with this one a little. No retouching yet, but I kind of liked the intensity, the comp and the way the DOF worked the hair. Is the leading shoulder a dealbreaker?

(aside: HOLY COW but LR 3 is a step up! I'm still using the beta, but I think when it expires at the end of the month I'm going to have to pony up. It's worth it for the improved sharpening and NR algorithms alone - shots I thought were on the edge for portraits can be adjusted to absolute clarity. It's great!)

895895331_iPGzr-M.jpg
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    Another Strobist post on Annie Leibovitz using a Softlighter:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2010/06/softlighter-too.html

with Keith Richards no less! Looks like you picked some top gear!

(Nice shots of yours as well.)

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
    edited June 11, 2010
    Yeah, well, maybe someday I'll figure out how to use it with that kind of efficiency, certainty and success....! In the meantime, I'm sure happy with it as a wonderful, versatile piece of lighting gear :D

Thanks for the links!! (I "dip into" Strobist when I want to look something up, but tend to forget to follow it regularly - a good reminder to check in more often!)
    edited June 23, 2010
    Just a follow-up to this. I'm delighted to say that she chose the one we all liked best (#2, the one in colour+bw) as her actual headshot, but her family liked them so much that they've ordered FOUR of the others just to have for themselves. This is a nice unexpected $ bonus of course (my pkg only includes one finished shot, so the extras are ordered a la carte) but mainly I'm just SO SO SO pleased that they found that many that they liked!!!! Definitely a nice confidence booster iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Congratulations!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site